Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 9, 2013   #16
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cythaenopsis View Post
Since the topic of pruning suckers has come up, is there a general rule of thumb of how large to let them grow before pruning? Many of the videos I've watched demonstrate someone snipping them at a good hand length size. I'm just curious if pruning them "too early" might discourage flowering off of branches.

I've been removing suckers as soon as I spot them...the smaller the better on the theory that the sooner you remove them, the more growing energy is available for flowers and fruit. I may be wrong but I don't see how removing a tiny sucker would hurt the plant.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2013   #17
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
I've been removing suckers as soon as I spot them...the smaller the better on the theory that the sooner you remove them, the more growing energy is available for flowers and fruit. I may be wrong but I don't see how removing a tiny sucker would hurt the plant.
Removing suckers does not hurt the plant. However, the plant would use less nutrients on a smaller sucker. It is important to note that several people have commented like you have ie "more growing energy is available for flowers and fruit." and that simply is not true. It is a myth. The more leaves, the more solar energy the plant can catch and use photosynthesis to convert into sugars for energy. Producing a leaf does take some energy, but it also produces more energy than it takes.

Pruning off extra fruit will make your plants produce larger fruit.....but leaves? And if you want lots of smaller fruit, best thing is to let the suckers grow.

All this assumes of course that there is plenty of water and nutrients to the roots. Hope the clarification helps.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2013   #18
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

I remember reading on an old thread that some people don't always prune their suckers all the way back to the stem. They let some of them get a few side leaves and then pinch out the growing tip.

I think the reasoning was that it keeps some extra foliage to protect the fruit from the sun and to produce energy, without adding so many new main stems.

I've done that if the sucker has gotten a little large, because sometimes it's easier and it doesn't leave as large a wound on the stem.

A small downside is that they will usually end up producing a few suckers of their own, so you have to pinch those out, too.

Last edited by livinonfaith; July 15, 2013 at 01:02 AM.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote