Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 6, 2011   #1
HollerinRat
Tomatovillian™

Default Green to red

Or whatever color they are going to turn. How long does that take? I'm a first timer and I've had cherry tomatoes for about two weeks and they are all still green. I'm getting a little impatient. lol
HollerinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2011   #2
cornbreadlouie
Tomatovillian™

My sungold & sweet 100 have had tomatoes on them since June 6th and I still don't have any ripe ones.

Looks like mine are going to break color in the next few days (hopefully) but I'd say you still have a little while to go. This is always the hardest part about growing tomatoes for me.... Waiting.....
cornbreadlouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2011   #3
HollerinRat
Tomatovillian™

Yep, mine's a sun sugar and sweet baby girl. I noticed after I posted that the first one is barely turning.
Old July 7, 2011   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollerinRat View Post
Or whatever color they are going to turn. How long does that take? I'm a first timer and I've had cherry tomatoes for about two weeks and they are all still green. I'm getting a little impatient. lol
To give you a rough idea of how long from fruit set to ripe fruits the following link shows you a ripening sequence for one variety and while of course different varieties have different ripening times b'c they have different genes, at least it will give you some sense of what's going on:

http://www.tomatosite.com/index.php?...Truss_Timeline
Old July 7, 2011   #5
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

In that example, I counted 34 days between the appearance of the 1st green fruit and first color break on that fruit. If only that formula had worked on my fruits, which on some cherries have been here for nearly over 50-days (mid-May) and still have yet to blush. I'm blaming the heat and perhaps a slight lack of total direct sunlight (which of course helps some with the maximum heat spike).
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2011   #6
HollerinRat
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! Glad to know that it's normal to take a while.