Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 26, 2020   #16
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJGlew View Post
Through the past year I have become amazed by the great variety of Russian tomatoes available to their gardeners. Check here - http://sibsad-nsk.ru/internet-magazin-2/folder/tomaty - a single site which lists over 750 varieties, and your browser can translate it to English. And many thanks to Andrey who has patiently answered my questions about Siberian hearts and assisted with my learning.
Sibirskiy Sad is a best seed vendor in Russia for me. They invent so many interesting Siberian amateur and commercial tomato and other vegetable varieties during the past 20 years.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2020   #17
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Andrey your English is very good! This and That Russian tomato names are indeed funny! I like the name The other Russian tomato too! Thanks for everyone's input.
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2020   #18
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. My English is very simple and I've got my English pronounsation from the secondary school, Uni and Neil Tennant's Newcastle accent from Pet Shop Boys songs

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2020   #19
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Oh Andrey...now all I can think about is their tune to West End Girls.... old memories and good times.

Here is my pic of That Russian Tomato in my garden right now. Plant is quite healthy but not sure it will trigger anything from anyone! Sorry it is sideways...
Heide
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCaUrg+hSSeurLvqvMGDpA.jpg (304.7 KB, 100 views)
Old August 20, 2020   #20
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Finally, THAT RUSSIAN TOMATO is here, so it answers all the questions above. Several large tomatoes so far and they are all very similar to what is in the pictures. I also included some of my other hearts this year so you can compare. For those participating, I will be contributing seeds from this tomato to the Carolyn tribute.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_109a4.jpg (160.5 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_109a2.jpg (196.3 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_109d7.jpg (184.4 KB, 72 views)
Old August 21, 2020   #21
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Very nice collection of hearts! How did the flavors compare? Did you like That Russian Tomato?

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2020   #22
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

I grew That Russian Tomato and mine were as pictured. Unfortunately I had to pull them up since TSW got them. It also claimed my Rosovyi Myod too. Ugh
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2020   #23
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

I am becoming a heart convert! When I first started growing, I didn't fully appreciate them. Now I love them. That Russian Tomato was great. It is very much a red and not a pink so it has more acid to my palate. More meaty than juicy. Seeing 5 huge tomatoes hanging simultaneously just makes my soul happy. Brad's Black Heart was both meaty, juicy, and a little smoky plus it was productive. A winner. Rosovyi Myod caught me by surprise. Its sweet, smooth, fullness of flavor make it a great tomato for eating or cooking, Will grow again. My Hearty DTP trial is just a beautiful tomato with all its red and olive streaks. Tangy but sweet too. It has produced a lot of tomatoes this year/ Then we have DTP Ivalde 4382. So far, probably my favorite of the group. Succulent, juicy, drippy full flavor that makes you want to lick your fingers. It's a great pink heart.