Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old May 26, 2020   #16
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Hi Andrey,

the 3 different seeds I have from you are from 2016... but I think they are all picklers

Malysh..you said it means baby
Nevesta...bride
Verasen

I am going to put some of damp paper towel today and see if I get any germination,although picklers I can still eat them and maybe for next year I will get myself organised better. The post is crazy right now.

I generally grow in the greenhouse but I am planning on putting these in very large pots in front of my house if they make it, it gets full sun but there is an overhang that protects them a bit..

Thank you for your help, you are a real sweetie and if you need anything from here please just send me a message

XX Jeannine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
Jeannine, you are always welcome. Any questions. If there will be no sprout I will send you more fresh cuke seeds and some dwarf tomatoes.
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2020   #17
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Jeannine, do grow those Nevesta cukes! They are wonderful medium long white salad cukes, no bitter peel. I have been wanting them again since tasting from seeds that Andrey sent me some years ago. I don't know anything about the other two you have.

ddsack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2020   #18
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Not sure if this link will work - http://chudovo.org/pic/garden_cucumb...esta_f1_bg.jpg

These look pale green, I think mine were whiter, but it's been a few years.

Old May 26, 2020   #19
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I wonder if they are white because their translated name is Bride?? I see on the enclosed slip of paper that they do say white .

When I was searching through my stash I came across 2 large packets of Miniature White cuke seeds . I was going to chuck'em as they say 2011 on them, up for grabs if you want any. I have grown tomatoes from seeds older than this but I don't know about cukes..maybe I will give them a germination test too..doubtful but you never know.

I have just 8 of the 2016 Nevesta "bride" seeds but if I try 4 and get something you can have the other four if you wish.I will test them first though. I sent somone 2 lots of zuchinni seeds that are not available in North America from 2016 and they both germinated.

Isn't seed saving fun!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Jeannine, do grow those Nevesta cukes! They are wonderful medium long white salad cukes, no bitter peel. I have been wanting them again since tasting from seeds that Andrey sent me some years ago. I don't know anything about the other two you have.
Old May 27, 2020   #20
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

The last three years I've been growing a little white cucumber called Salt and Pepper, white with small black spines that is great for eating fresh as well as for my fermented pickles. I found a large pack on sale cheap last year, so have more than enough for a few years. PM me if you would like to try any of those. I'm pretty sure the Nevesta is an F1 hybrid, so not sure what saved seeds would give, might be worth a try though. Hang on to those few extra seeds -- you may not want to give them away once you taste the Nevesta! It occurred to me too, that the name Bride must have had the white wedding dress connection.

Old May 27, 2020   #21
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

No problem,
Old May 27, 2020   #22
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Malysh (=Baby in Russian) is a pickler from very compact determinate series. Russian OP CV.
Nevesta F1 (=Bride in Russian) is a middle size elongated salladette-pickler. Yes, it is more whitish than printed on original seed pack. And I also think that the name is because wtite dress. Russian FI Hybrid CV.

Verasen (=September in Belarusian) is very good reliable desease tolerant indeterminate picker, Belarusian OP CV.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; May 27, 2020 at 07:25 AM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote