Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old February 14, 2011   #46
Full Moon
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for that info bitterwork.

I have recently purchased the Presto and had a couple of runs with it already. I'm very happy with it but the idea of not having to stare at that gauge would make it even better.
Full Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2011   #47
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

Default Pressure Canning

Pardon me if this has been covered already. I know not everything requires a pressure canner, but if you have one, is there any reason not to just use that for everything?

Keith
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2011   #48
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

No reason, you can use it as a BWB or for pressure canning. In fact I can fit four racks of ribs in mine!

Tom NJ
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2011   #49
lurley
Tomatovillian™

I use mine whenever possible, it goes quicker and puts less hot steam into summer air that doesn't need any more humidity. I use it to water bath also for things like pickles.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2011   #50
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

Default Got my new canner in today

Just got my Lehman's 30 quart pressure canner. Yahoooo!

I found this excellent resource as well. http://www.pickyourown.org/botulism.htm

And I am proud to say that my new pressure canner, contrary to what the article says is rated for a full 250 degrees at 15 lbs of pressure so I can do the commercial grade botulism cook.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2011   #51
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

Congratulations Keith! I have the same one and love it (it's made by All American).

Most decent canners can process at 15 psi, but I feel more comfortable with this cast aluminum "tank" boiling away at that pressure. That said, most recipes call for processing at 10 psi as 15 psi can cause some foods to go mushy.

Botulism spores are killed in 12.5 minutes at 10 psi (240F) and 2.5 minutes at 15 psi (250F). Keep in mind, however, additional time at pressure is needed as it takes time for the heat to reach the center of the jar. How much more time depends on the type of food and its density. Always best to follow approved processing instructions and be careful of experimenting, especially with low acid foods.

I've been using my 30 quart All American for four years now and consider it the very best. I'm sure you'll also love it, and it will last a lifetime. Enjoy!

TomNJ
Old October 25, 2011   #52
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Default Pressure Canning

Question: When pressure canning tomato sauce does one need to add an acid (citric or lemon juice)?

I use this recipe (Oven Roasted Tomato Sauce):
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...d+tomato+sauce

In addition, I add red wine to the sauce which must add some acidity.
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2011   #53
Mike Maurer
Tomatovillian™

I never add anything to tomatos when canning. Too, I don't usually pressure can tomato juice, I usually use the boiling water bath method. Either way is acceptable. I can recommend the preserving book by Organic Gardening/ Rodale Press as a good guide to canning and preserving all ways. Also the canning supply people, Ball & Kerr put out a good book on canning.
Mike
Mike Maurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2011   #54
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

If you have a good amount of low acid vegetables in the recipe like onions, garlic, and peppers, then adding some additional acid is usually recommended, even when pressure canning, just to be sure the final product has a pH of less than 4.6. I use citric acid because the recommended 1/4 teaspoon per pint does not noticeably affect my recipes.

TomNJ
Old October 25, 2011   #55
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Even though the BWB method is sufficient for tomatoes, I found this year that my new pressure canner is just as easy to use, so I opt for that method now. I tried a few pints using the citrus and just didn't like the flavor changes I detected (your mileage may vary . I'm not concerned with some additional salt in my diet, so I opt for using the recommended amount of canning salt in each quart I put away.

The pressure canner I bought has the dial indicator on it and, having watched the one my brother has with only the jiggler, prefer the dial by miles over the other. The booklet that came with the canner has instructions on how much and how long to process each type of food. After checking, I found that the booklet was an exact replication of the USDA recommended specs.

Two years with the pressure canner after doing a lot of BWB canning and we are converts now. I'll always know that the BWB method is okay for tomatoes and some other things, but I'll always use the pressure canner as long as I have one.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2011   #56
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

No, you don't need to add acid when canning tomatoes in a pressure canner. I can just about everything in mine, even fish and meat. The dial type is much more accurate than the jiggler thing, I only use that type of PC for cooking foods to eat straight away, so good choice.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2013   #57
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Default Quick question on canners

I use a pressure cooker, and always cool it off by putting it in the sink and pouring cold water over the lid.

I'd like to know how one would cool off a canner as it would be too heavy for me to lift! Do you just leave it for ages to cool off by itself? If so, I imagine that cool-down period would need to be built into the timing of whatever is to be canned.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2013   #58
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

With mine, you turn off the burner (I have a gas stove) and let it sit for 20 minutes. Then you can take the weight off, release any remaining pressure and take the top off.
Old September 18, 2013   #59
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiterg View Post
With mine, you turn off the burner (I have a gas stove) and let it sit for 20 minutes. Then you can take the weight off, release any remaining pressure and take the top off.
Thanks. I have an electric stove so it would take longer, no doubt.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2013   #60
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

You could move it off the hot burner. They aren't very heavy because you only put an inch or two of water on the bottom.