Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old May 30, 2013   #31
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

A little update, between late frosts, family activities and life in general the TPS plants ended up in their pots for a couple of weeks longer than I had planned on. When I was planting, I noticed that many of them had already started tuberizing. While not exactly desirable, it was nice to see the tuber colors on some of them.

This is a Negate seedling, I was hoping for a nearly black one but judging by the foilage color and the mini tubers on them, I believe most of mine are going to be white.

I think this one is one of the Hedge Rose plants. Lots of the red varieties had minitubers already.

This is one of the Diamond Toro plants.

So, since I know they'll tuberize in small containers for me I went ahead and ordered more TPS so I can grow some inside in the fall to have minitubers to plant next spring.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013   #32
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

Last year I planted TPS in a grid pattern 2" apart in July.....I then planted the tubers from them last month. They are already huge plants. I just planted out 150 more TPS in small cells, and will plant another thousand or so TPS four per 4" pot. I should get some interesting tubers. I am useing TPS from Skagit valley gold, poor dog, Jacobson's golden red bud,as well as a few other unique varieties.
wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013   #33
NathanP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Last year I planted TPS in a grid pattern 2" apart in July
Did you direct seed into the soil? What else did you do to protect the seed and/or help germination, if so?
NathanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2013   #34
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

I did not, they were started in 72 ct trays and planted out before they had true leaves (I am good at transplanting extremely small seedlings). After they were 2" tall I used a funnel to hill them up. The largest yield was a full handful consisting of 14 or so tubers. This year my TPS is getting slaughtered by flea beetles except those that were transplanted as larger plants.
wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote