Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 3, 2011   #1
cleo88
Tomatovillian™

Default Squirrels? Can't they leave me some??

I think I have a squirrel with very good taste sampling in my tomato garden.

It's only the ripening tomatoes. So far he's eaten a Granny Cantrell, a Danko and this morning I discovered a Pink Sweet still on the vine with the pink half eaten and the green half untouched. I didn't even see that it had started to blush before I discovered it's carcass.

Here are my questions:

So, this sounds like squirrels, right? We also have tons of chipmunks but the amount eaten seems way too big for a chipmunk's stomach.

I put a toulle bag that I use for bagging blossoms around a low hanging Danko that is starting to ripen - does anyone think that will deter a squirrel?

Will this continue with the high hanging fruit? So far the fruit that have been eaten are all right near the ground.

Should I just pick fruit when they start to blush? I have done that in previous years, but this year I was trying to see if the taste would be better if I left it on the vine longer. I know there are lots of posts here saying it doesn't matter, but I'm not entirely convinced...
cleo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2011   #2
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

It is definitely squirrels. They will not only eat fruit, but rip off branches and nip off new growth, as well as dig around the roots. They are the Spawn of Satan. No plastic or fabric will stop them. I know no way to stop them except for physical barriers.

Below is my solution (1 inch chicken wire, buried 10 inches), which I do not think is feasible for most.

The only other approach is to buy a couple of Havaheart squirrel traps, bait them with peanuts, and begin transporting them at least 10 miles away from your house.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0926.jpg (436.1 KB, 62 views)
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2011   #3
bcday
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleo88 View Post
We also have tons of chipmunks but the amount eaten seems way too big for a chipmunk's stomach.
I put a toulle bag that I use for bagging blossoms around a low hanging Danko that is starting to ripen - does anyone think that will deter a squirrel?
Will this continue with the high hanging fruit? So far the fruit that have been eaten are all right near the ground.
If all the fruit that has been eaten is right near the ground I don't think other critters such as skunks, raccoons, mice, rats, or groundhogs can be ruled out yet, although a squirrel is still a possible suspect. And all of those critters except possibly the skunk can either climb the plant or stand on their hind legs to reach higher fruit.

I also don't think chipmunks can be ruled out on the basis of the amount that was eaten. A meadow vole is a mouse-size critter much smaller than a chipmunk but a vole accounted for something like 50 lbs. of potatoes in my garden two years ago. When I went to dig the potatoes, I got a lot of hollowed-out potato skins for my efforts. : I was blaming the chipmunks until I found out about the vole. Now I am encouraging the neighborhood cats that I used to chase away.

A tulle bag will not stop a rodent from getting a tasty treat. I once kept dry kibbled dog food in a shed in a plastic Rubbermaid container. A chipmunk discovered this treasure and chewed its way into the container.

I have lots of squirrels around here. They get into the bird feeders and come to the birdbath every day to drink but they don't bother the tomatoes.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2011   #4
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcday View Post
If all the fruit that has been eaten is right near the ground I don't think other critters such as skunks, raccoons, mice, rats, or groundhogs can be ruled out yet, although a squirrel is still a possible suspect. And all of those critters except possibly the skunk can climb.

I also don't think chipmunks can be ruled out on the basis of the amount that was eaten.
Agreed. My first post rushed to conclusion.
Old August 3, 2011   #5
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Are the tomatoes being eaten at night or during the day? If it's at night, I'd bet it is a raccoon. They're hard to deter. Fortunately, once the low-hanging fruit is gone, their interest seems to wane. I generally pick at the just-ripe stage and this helps. We have tons of squirrels around here and I have never had any problem with them. We have lots of acorns, though. In an area with less desirable food, I'm sure they could be a real nuisance.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2011   #6
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

My squirrels must be less determined, because I never lost a bagged ripening fruit. It's an easy method, and worth a try.
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2011   #7
Talon1189
Tomatovillian™

The red squirrels and birds that frequent my yard prefer my Mulberry bush (tree) to tomatoes. I have ripe Sungolds left on purpose to test the varmints. Nothing has been touched yet except the Mulberry tree.....and I could care less about those. Good luck finding a solution
Old August 3, 2011   #8
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i can't add much that hasn't already been said other than when the fruits start to show color pick them, they will ripen fine inside and at least they won't be damaged.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2011   #9
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

Squrrels are tasty, too. Pick them when they are ripe. Find a jambalaya recipe that calls for lots of tomatoes.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2011   #10
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I love Louisiana. Always a practical solution, even compared to other Southerners.
Old August 4, 2011   #11
b54red
Tomatovillian™

The squirrels let up in my garden for a couple of weeks while we were fortunately getting some rain nearly every other day. Now that the 100 degree weather has returned so have the squirrels. I don't have a lot of tomatoes for them to pick from so now they are starting on a couple of my bell peppers. This is the first time I've ever seen that.

I don't think they are partial to Sun Golds because that is one of the few tomatoes that they have left alone. Maybe it is that unusual odor the plant gives off.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2011   #12
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I believe they are going after these vegetables for the moisture content.
Old August 4, 2011   #13
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
I believe they are going after these vegetables for the moisture content.
Good point ... makes perfect sense. I guess they're thirsty too!
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2011   #14
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I keep a bird bath full of water in the front yard for the birds and squirrels and they use it regularly. I think they hit the garden more frequently during the hot dry times but they are after more than moisture or they would eat my cantaloupes and cucumbers. I think they are attracted to ripening tomatoes for more than moisture. I know I am.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2011   #15
cleo88
Tomatovillian™

I do have and have had a birdbath and it always has water in it. In addition, I have a bird feeder full of peanut nuggets and the baffle has slid down so I see squirrels munching on that too. So it is really burning my a** if it is in fact squirrels.

I bagged a Linnie's Oxheart and just hours later (during the day) I saw that someone had punctured their little teeth through the bag and made some holes in the tomato, which I then tossed - sort of an experiment since the thing was very catfaced.

My latest assault: bags of Irish spring chunks hung near tomatoes and, for some big maters, I've put the mater in the bag with the soap. We'll see. At least it smells good in my garden!
cleo88 is offline   Reply With Quote