Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 2, 2009   #61
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Dr. Ong called me this morning to discuss my problem and also informed me that they dont test for TYLCV at their lab. Said it would cost me around 300 dollars for them to send it elsewhere to have it tested. He did say that he had a diagnostician working on my sample and thus far the sample was clean for the basic panels they test for or something to that effect. Plans to take a look at the pics I sent, finish their diagnostics and get back to me. He said that TYLCV is suspected but also mentioned mineral deficiencies as others have.
Old April 2, 2009   #62
dice
Tomatovillian™

There are a lot of obscure plant viruses, too, that can affect
tomatoes that have not been nearly as well documented as
TMV, TYLCV, TSWV, CMV, and a few others. The way that you
grow your tomatoes, I would expect nutrient supply to be fairly
even across plants.

Botany Online has some general information that could help
one understand plant viruses a little (assuming that you just
plow through any of the molecular genetic rocket science
jargon by mentally assigning a "black box mechanism that
produces a particular effect" meaning to anything that you
don't immediately understand). One thing clear from the
brief overview is that plant viruses have not been nearly as
widely studied as plant bacterial infections, for purely technical
reasons having to do with the molecular nature of DNA and
RNA:

http://www.biologie.uni-hamburg.de/b-online/e35/35.htm

(If the English seems a little odd in places, that is because
Botany Online is a translation from German, and it is good
but not perfect. The Botany Online Table of Contents:
http://www.biologie.uni-hamburg.de/b...0/contents.htm
)

The documents referenced above are not going to solve your
problem, though (specifically identifying what is wrong with
the afflicted plants). Unless you can justify the cost of a
DNA test, a best guess is the best that anyone can offer.

Last edited by dice; April 3, 2009 at 05:40 AM. Reason: line end
dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2009   #63
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Here are the inconclusive results they sent me by fax a few minutes ago.

Diagnostic Techniques

Gross Visual
Macroscopic
Microscopic
ELISA/serology
tissue examination

Diagnosis : Negative Tospovirus Assay, (N/A)

Category: Inconclusive

Recommendation: Lab Summary

--> Specific serological assays, to detect the presence of torpoviruses (TSWV,INSV, CMV, TMV), in the symptomatic foliage, were negative.
The rugose growth habit of some leaves and irregular pattern chlorosis observed on some older and young leaves may be the result of another viral infection possible TYLCV, a test we currently are unable to test for.
We cannot confirm or deny TYLCV virus infestion. However the symptoms are consistent with potential damage by TYLCV. Diagnosis of thie problem should be correlated to infestation with the virus vector, whitefly insects. If growing areas are free of whiteflies, it is unlikely that damage symptoms were due to TYLCV. Damage could also be a result of nutritional imbalance and submitter should also evaluate growing area for these issues as the potential problem.

I did make a note yesterday that of the 2 Pink Berkley Tie Dye plants, one is exhibiting dwarf like growth habit
Old April 2, 2009   #64
travis
Tomatovillian™

Strange. I would think that A&M would be more interested in verifying whether TYLCV is or isn't present in Corpus area.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2009   #65
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Strange. I would think that A&M would be more interested in verifying whether TYLCV is or isn't present in Corpus area.

I kind of feel the same way. They gave me the option to have it tested for TYLCV but I cant really afford the 300 dollars at this moment
Old April 2, 2009   #66
travis
Tomatovillian™

I wonder if there are any large scale commercial growers who would subsidize that lab fee just to know what's up in the area?
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2009   #67
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Every plant remaining has set fruit since I removed the others. I am hoping that this is a good sign as I have read that infected plants usually stop setting.
Old April 30, 2009   #68
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Sadly, I have more plants showing signs of the virus. Indian Stripe, Mariannas Peace and possibly Gary'O Sena. I will let them go for awhile so I can harvest a few fruit
Old May 1, 2009   #69
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

I am sorry duajones it can be so dishartening to work so hard and then lose the plants that way. Happened to me the past couple of years.
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2009   #70
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Disheartening it is for sure. I went from extreme confidence early on to feeling like quitting once the problems set in. Not only am I dealing with the possible virus in my main bed, the 5 plants in my small bed are wilting just like they did last year. I will probably let that bed lie for awhile as Im not sure what is going on there. Plan to use actinovate at plant out next season and have plenty of yellow sticky traps along with some reflective mulch or something.
Old May 1, 2009   #71
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Duane,

I think you may seriously need to consider growing in bags or pots/containers the next time. Since you don't know where this problem came from.

Did you ever consider a soil borne problem? Maybe some noxious fumes emitting from some place nearby? Do you have neighbors who use any Round Up or some sort of weed killers?

I had a tomato problem in 2004; I couldn't figure it out either. Till I realized it was caused by all the fumes from the cars and trucks that were being emitting while visiting by the post office that was right next to my backyard. And yes, that post office was heavily visited!!

~* Robin
Old May 1, 2009   #72
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Duane I am really sorry. You must be devastated. Have you talked with any other local growers to see if they're seeing signs of this?
Again, so sorry
Old May 1, 2009   #73
duajones
Tomatovillian™

The smaller bed with the wilt was first amended for 2007 spring plantout. Plants there did well. Spring 2008 I experienced wilt on the plants and they usually would respond to water. This year they respond some but still wilt. They havent died and have fruit on them but I have no idea why they wilt. No wilt whatsoever in my larger bed, just the virus problem this year. The area where the small bed is was dug up in 2003 to replace the sewer line but I dont think that has anything to do with my problem, just wanted to mention it just in case. I even suspected RKN but saw no signs of them when I pulled the plants. I did notice that the root system of the plants wasnt nearly as developed as the plants in the larger bed.
I added another small area with three plants this year and the plants there seem to be doing great. I havent spoken with area growers at this point. I need to rethink my game plan for next spring and maybe even include some resistant varieties although I hate to be limited in any way as far as what I can grow. I will still harvest some decent tomatoes this year but it looks like most of my plants will be done for by the end of the month.
I dont think I have a problem with neighbors and weed killer although I do have one that has his pit going quite a bit with lots of smoke
Old May 1, 2009   #74
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

solarize the bed with clear plasic. Make some Earthtainers and keep a positive thought in mind.

George
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2009   #75
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I would like to solarize the smaller bed with clear plastic as you mentioned. I have also noticed that while the soil directly around the stem of the plant is moist, the surrounding soil seems to dry out fairly quickly for whatever reason. I have amended that particular bed beginning in late 2006 and again twice a year with composted cotton burr, cow manure and such, the same as I did the larger bed where there is no wilt. Something about the soil in that small bed that I dont understand. I might throw some expanded shale at it this fall when I till to hopefully improve the viability of the soil overall. I dont know if it will help but something is different in this soil for some reason.