Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 16, 2014   #211
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Some of this thread reads like a Home Depot Review section.

I'm waiting for someone to say it came out of the bottle well.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2014   #212
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Actually, it does come out of the bottle well...

What I'm liking about it so far is that it doesn't stink up my entire house like the Neptune's stuff used to. The smell of the Neptune's used to linger for days. No difference as far as it's effect on the seedlings that I can tell, so I'm sticking with it at least for indoor use.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2014   #213
Randall
Tomatovillian™

You people are really making me want to try this stuff!
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2014   #214
TomTim
Tomatovillian™

I live in Houston is there a retail location I can get your products at?
TomTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2014   #215
Sodak
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodak View Post
I used TTF last year and had great results. Ordered a gallon today, as well as a 1/2 gallon of Flowers and Blooms.
And planted in sponges for the bio dome today, too.
17 of 18 ready to plant outside in only 3 weeks. Big and healthy looking. Fastest to transplant size ever! Only water and dilute (1 tsp in 1/2 gallon of water) Flowers and Blooms used. Used that as some was left over. Flourescent light for ~16 hrs a day. I am amazed. And sold.
Old April 5, 2014   #216
RayR
Tomatovillian™

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that TTF contains Vitazyme as an additive. Are the natural biostimulants like triacontanol and Brassinosteroids that have contributed to such great results with TTF? The science behind it is pretty solid.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2014   #217
Randall
Tomatovillian™

Ray, I went ahead and ordered a gallon of TTF yesterday. Vitazyme had a fair amount to do with it. I'm thinking it could only help a well inoculated plant gain even more ground. If nothing else, it will add a little excitement to the season, as I haven't tried a new product in 3 years or more!
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2014   #218
Ed Crowley
Tomatovillian™

Tom Tim - Maas nursery in Seabrook has it, but only the small size. I picked some up today and asked about the gallon size but they didn't have it.
Ed Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2014   #219
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

Using the Vegie formula right now on my seedlings here in CT. Must say, awesome customer service via phone and email! I ordered Vegie, Tomato and Blooms and Rose formulas and am excited to see results over this season after reading this thread all last season.
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014   #220
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Started giving my plants in the garden TTF last week. Up til then I have been using Apples and Oranges and they are looking really good. I'll be giving them a full strength dose today or tomorrow now that they all have blossoms showing up and a few have set some fruit. I'm hoping the TTF will give me the same high level of fruit set that I got last year but it may be a little tougher this year since everything was delayed because of the cold. It went from winter to summer really quick and we are now having days in the 80s and 90s and just two weeks ago I had to wear a jacket out in the garden because of the cold. Hopefully the higher temps won't hurt fruit set too much.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014   #221
jmhammRN
Tomatovillian™

I'm sure I missed this answer in the pages of this thread but I have been reading a lot tonight

In my earthtainers, which have a 7 gal water capacity, when I feed do I feed for 1 gallon of mix or the 7 gallon capacity of the water reservoir?

Two tomato plants in each earthtainer and I do have a fert strip, so TTF just for regular supplement boost.

If in the future I avoided the fert strip and just used TTF only would that change the amount used in the reservoir?

Also, feed for the container or for each plant in it (double strength)??

Thanks

Justin
jmhammRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014   #222
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Justin

If you are talking about Raybo's earthtainers (Rnewste) then those have a 5 gallon water capacity according to Ray.

As for the volume of TTF to use, the difficulty is knowing how much water remains in your reservoir when you fill it back up. The water volume needed for a refill will likely vary from time to time, unless you are allowing them to run empty before refilling, which is not a good practice IMO.

This year, I've used TTF in the filler tube as a supplement to the fert strip. Because of the difficulty in knowing the precise proper volumes, I've been putting in 2 TBLS every 3rd refill. I don't know if this is ideal or not, but, my plants are lush, covered with flowers, and have a nice amount of fruit set already, with the exception of a Cherokee green that is my last hold out on fruit set. (Looks healthy and lots of flowers, so I"m guessing that will remedy itself soon.)

I don't think you use double strength because the amount needed is determined by the volume of water, not the number of plants. That's just my guess though.

Dewayne Mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014   #223
jmhammRN
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info Dewayne

I guess maybe the 7 gallons includes the portion above the overflow holes as well. My initial thought was to uses 2 tablespoons down the tube as you mentioned. I was just curious to know if two plants would 'suck up' the nutrients. But I guess just increasing the frequency of fertilizing, like every 2 or 3 fill ups vs once weekly or every two weeks would compensated for two hungry plants.

As far as the volume at each fill up that does make sense. Unless you had the volume of water already measured out and watched the overflow holes, but then it would still be iffy. My plan was to use the earth box AWS but that makes me wonder if I would know how often to fertilize based on water consumption. Since I wouldn't know how often the trainers were getting filled. Maybe I should just manually water and use the AWS only if I am going to be out of town.

I have just finished my planting so I hope to get some good results in the future, this is my first year with Earthtainers and Smartpots.

Justin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 25, 2014   #224
jmhammRN
Tomatovillian™

Always remember to shake, this was only after about 10 minutes. It was probably in the upper 60's outside at the time.

IMG_3169_zpsbf04cdbc.jpg

But with only two shakes..........back to normal

IMG_3172_zps89228173.jpg
Old May 26, 2014   #225
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Justin's example above demonstrates why I am afraid to use TTF in Sub-Irrigated-Planter systems. I still use it but I fertilize from the top with it.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote