Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old December 11, 2011   #1
mysidx
Tomatovillian™

Default Seedlings in cold garage

I will be initially starting my seeds for spring inside, however I have zero room for a light setup inside. I will be putting them out in the garage where it is only about 15 degrees warmer than outside. I'm hoping from the warmth from the two light fixtures and a heat lamp underneath my shelving, that it will be the right temperature. I will probably make some sort of enclosure to trap the heat produced from the heat lamp. Has anyone else used a heatlamp for this purpose, or similar.

Rob
mysidx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2011   #2
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

How warm is the garage, or how warm is it going to be outside? I would just use a combo of heat lamps and heating mats, and yes wrap up the whole thing to trap the heat. It really depends on how warm the garage is, though! I have a heat lamp in my seedling set up, and also a seedling heating mat, and I zipped it all up in a plastic covering, and it stayed alot warmer in there than it did outside of the light set up. Of course this was in my 63 degree house, so that's a different story. What temperature is your garage?

Taryn
tgplp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2011   #3
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Rob,

I tried the same 10 years ago here in Ohio and found it to be a very difficult balancing act. I could never get the temperature just right with the heat lamp. I would think that in Baton Rouge you could get away with just the lights in an enclosure. Be very careful if you use the heat source as you might roast the seedlings.

Ohio State- LSU 1988(?) Baton Rouge- I was there!
MikeInOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2011   #4
mysidx
Tomatovillian™

I won't be starting them until mid January, but the other day when the temps dropped down to 32, I set one glass of water outside and one where my shelving will be. The next morning I took an infrared temp gun and the difference was about 15 degrees warmer than outside.We don't really have a true winter here, so there is no telling what the temp will be by then. In other words, there is no way to control the temperature in the garage. I have a 250watt heat bulb with a 12" reflector that I will probably set several feet below the shelving. I guess plastic sheeting would do better than say....quarter inch plywood to enclose the area? Do you think I should fully enclose the area? What Ideal temperature should I shoot for? BTW,the shelving is made from that large slatted closet shelving you can get from H.D. I have cut them to fit three flats per shelf, and have plenty of height to space them as I please.
Old December 11, 2011   #5
mysidx
Tomatovillian™

Mike, please pray that we do not let the Alabama Gumps win on the 9th....
They believe they invented the game of football.
Old December 11, 2011   #6
Raffles
Tomatovillian™

I always start my tomatoes in my coolish house. Temps range from the 50s through the high 60s throughout a 24 hour period. Hardening off is a snap but damping off is a problem some years.

As long as you are careful of dampness though it should not be a real problem.
Every town in New England has it’s own personality. You might even say it’s own life if you were inclined to put things that way. Abigail Krum, her name was Martin in those days, started out in a small town in Northern Maine. People there would have said every town had it’s own way. The folks in the next town over would have said “life”. They always were kind of full of themselves.
Raffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2011   #7
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

It sounds like you have thought it out well. You could use cardboard for your enclosure too, if you like, as it has some air between the layers for insulation. I think it all depends how much heat your lights generate. I would set it up a few days before growing and see what temperature you find in the mornings. If it's too cool, add another layer to the enclosure. Too warm, take some off.

I shoot for about 82F when I germinate and reduce the temp to the high 70s or low 80s when they are 1" tall. If you have a heating mat you may be able to get away without the lamp.

I will definitely be pulling for the tigers. I had a great time in Baton Rouge and the fans were wonderful to us (yankees). I will never forget the hospitality.

Remember Harvey Williams?
MikeInOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2011   #8
Neohippie
Tomatovillian™

I have my growlight setup in my cold garage and it works fine. I have heat mats under the trays, and that's it. No heat bulbs or anything like that. If I have the occassional warm day I put them outside, and then take them back in when it gets cold again. Oh, I also water them with warm water, but I don't know if that makes any difference.

The seedlings grow more slowly if you have them in cool conditions, so you'll have to start them earlier than what most people say (I've already started mine), but they can take it down into the 40's or maybe even high 30's, if it's for a short period of time.

I think it actually makes them tougher to be kept on the cool side. They don't have to be hardened off much.
Neohippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2011   #9
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

Rob, I start seeds in January also and grow in my garage, trying to maintain cold treatment temperatures of 50-55 degrees F. Experimenting, I found temperatures at the highest part of the garage are much warmer than down low. I conveniently have a storage loft in my garage lit by flourescent lights and can grow under the lights... on the coldest nights, the temp. stays above 50....maybe you have something similar, such as a high shelf?
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2011   #10
mysidx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalstonsc View Post
Rob, I start seeds in January also and grow in my garage, trying to maintain cold treatment temperatures of 50-55 degrees F. Experimenting, I found temperatures at the highest part of the garage are much warmer than down low. I conveniently have a storage loft in my garage lit by flourescent lights and can grow under the lights... on the coldest nights, the temp. stays above 50....maybe you have something similar, such as a high shelf?

No, ceiling isn't too high. I guess I'll have to wrap it and experiment a little.
Old December 12, 2011   #11
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

As I see it the problem will be not enough light as opposed to temps. Granted they can not freeze but will grow extremely leggy and not robust from lack of light. If I am wrong someone will come along and correct me. Just my thinking

ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2011   #12
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

I have a heat pad or two. Really like them. Well worth buying for any time.
I want to warn that heat lamps are down right dangerous. Be very care full with them
Me and my friends.
1 Heat lamp in dog house burned down family home.
2 heat lamp in hog house = 36 burned up baby pigs.
3 heat lamp over my truck engine = burned card board on floor under truck.
If I scare you, I mean to. I'd much prefer you used one of the cheap heaters.
KennyP
coloken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2011   #13
mysidx
Tomatovillian™

Ron, I should have enough light with two shop lights over only two flats. Each shelf having its own shop lights. Kenny, I'm sorry to hear about your tragedies with the heat lamps. My folks have exotic animals, and have been using them for years to protect the young from the cold nights. I'm hoping I won't have to use one, however heaters make me nervous too. In refrence to the heat mats, the budget won't allow it this year.
Old December 12, 2011   #14
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

OK, I missed the part about the shop lights. However I echo the warning about heat lamps around any combustible material. Be safe whatever you decide.

ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2011   #15
Appaloosa909
Tomatovillian™

Instead of heat lamps, why not use xmas lights? I use the large bulb outside type and unscrew bulbs to maintain temperature.
Appaloosa909 is offline   Reply With Quote