Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 4, 2015   #1
gregory
Tomatovillian™

Default Need advice overgrown Tomatoe plants

I started my plants a little later then it's suggested in our area.
When I repotted to 3 1/2 and 4 inch pots I used miracle grow potting soil.
They took off, and this past Saturday I started the hardening process.
At that point a third of the plants mainly the black Cherrys were 19-20 inches tall.

For the last few nights the temps were in the higher 50's and during the day 65-69 with cloudy skies and very high humidity. Tomorrow a front is moving in temps and it
Will dip anywhere from 30-33. Plus the winds will be quite high along with some rain so I brought them inside this evening. Now I recently dropped my shelf on the seed rack to 30 inches. It's not enough. Those same plants are now 26 or higher.

My other issue was the rain we got last week and I was able to till under my cover crop of Crimson clover and added compost I made last summer this part Sunday. Plus we got a fair amount on Monday maybe an inch. I don't know how much rain we will receive tomorrow. Hopefully the front will move thru quickly. So now I have to hope by Sunday the garden will be dry enough to plant the tomatoes.

If not and I have around 70-72 plants someone mentioned cutting off the tops and it would not hurt the plant. As it is when I turn on the shoplights tomorrow some of them will be on top of the t-8 bulbs

Any advice is appreciated.
Old March 4, 2015   #2
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Well you're in a bit of a pickle. Advice? If you can move the lights and plants to a room that is very cool like in the 50s, it would greatly slow growth and do no harm to the plants. I've never topped a tomato plant so I can't say one way or another there. While it won't help for 2015 next year start your seeds later--this is a learning experience. No one gets it all right the first time.

Also when you plant them out plant them very deep. Also try googling trench planting method for tomatoes. Good luck!
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2015   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Gregory, I found this video tonight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gceF7C3fCA I learned a lot. About three and half minutes into the video, it tells how to deal with those really tall transplants. I watched other videos saying the same thing.

Cutting off the tops are to limit the plant height after they are planted in the ground are outgrowing the support.

Hopefully this helps some.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2015   #4
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

You never know what the weather will be like. At least you were ready if the weather had cooperated.

What jmsieglaff said, especially the cooler temp to slow the growth if for an extended period. Its not a disaster by any means! Can you give them a few hours of mid afternoon dappled sun / partial shade when the temp is above 40 instead of the artificial light? For a few days they'll be fine. Putting them close to the bulbs will do more harm than good.

I always trench plant and start with larger seedlings than most. I live in an especially windy area. I use consecutively larger pots to keep the growth steady. At plant out they'll be about a foot but buried three times.

At planting time snap off the lower leaves and leave just a few at the top. Dig a narrow trench the size of the stem and just a few inches deep. Line the trench with the bare stem and gently bend up and fill in. The plant will right itself. I leave about 6 inches out of the ground and it takes off and gets huge roots. Just make sure there are no leaves touching the ground to invite disease.

Hope you get some sun soon . I think you are getting our weather.

- Lisa

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; March 4, 2015 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Interesting video !
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2015   #5
gregory
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Well you're in a bit of a pickle. Advice? If you can move the lights and plants to a room that is very cool like in the 50s, it would greatly slow growth and do no harm to the plants. I've never topped a tomato plant so I can't say one way or another there. While it won't help for 2015 next year start your seeds later--this is a learning experience. No one gets it all right the first time.

Also when you plant them out plant them very deep. Also try googling trench planting method for tomatoes. Good luck!
The director of our botanical gardens has a radio show and he said no later then the 12th day of Christmas I waited another 4 days after that jan 10th. In fact I called in to his show and mentioned how tall they were and he said I was on target.
Like u said its a growing experience. In the directors defense he just stresses the fact we have such a short growing season due to by July the nights are in the 80's and extremely high humidity. I am able to still grow cherrys in July but they taste horrible
Old March 5, 2015   #6
gregory
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Gregory, I found this video tonight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gceF7C3fCA I learned a lot. About three and half minutes into the video, it tells how to deal with those really tall transplants. I watched other videos saying the same thing.

Cutting off the tops are to limit the plant height after they are planted in the ground are outgrowing the support.

Hopefully this helps some.
Yes I know about trenching. Just doesn't help the immediate situation. Thanks
Old March 5, 2015   #7
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
I started my plants a little later then it's suggested in our area.
When I repotted to 3 1/2 and 4 inch pots I used miracle grow potting soil.
They took off, and this past Saturday I started the hardening process.
At that point a third of the plants mainly the black Cherrys were 19-20 inches tall.

For the last few nights the temps were in the higher 50's and during the day 65-69 with cloudy skies and very high humidity. Tomorrow a front is moving in temps and it
Will dip anywhere from 30-33. Plus the winds will be quite high along with some rain so I brought them inside this evening. Now I recently dropped my shelf on the seed rack to 30 inches. It's not enough. Those same plants are now 26 or higher.

My other issue was the rain we got last week and I was able to till under my cover crop of Crimson clover and added compost I made last summer this part Sunday. Plus we got a fair amount on Monday maybe an inch. I don't know how much rain we will receive tomorrow. Hopefully the front will move thru quickly. So now I have to hope by Sunday the garden will be dry enough to plant the tomatoes.

If not and I have around 70-72 plants someone mentioned cutting off the tops and it would not hurt the plant. As it is when I turn on the shoplights tomorrow some of them will be on top of the t-8 bulbs

Any advice is appreciated.
Have they been hardened off? I take them in and out and use real sun for at least two weeks before planting out. Start in shade and very,very gradually extend the suntanning time,until they are out all day and any night that isn't too cold.
That should take care of the light issue. I notice the plants always start growing better once they are going outside.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2015   #8
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
The director of our botanical gardens has a radio show and he said no later then the 12th day of Christmas I waited another 4 days after that jan 10th. In fact I called in to his show and mentioned how tall they were and he said I was on target.
Like u said its a growing experience. In the directors defense he just stresses the fact we have such a short growing season due to by July the nights are in the 80's and extremely high humidity. I am able to still grow cherrys in July but they taste horrible
Growth rate is highly impacted by temperature. So if he starts them on date X at 65F and you grow yours at 75F, yours will be bigger by date Y.

Talking to folks in your area is the right thing to do, at least to get in the ballpark, but variables specific to your seedling growing setup will dictate when you should start yours.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2015   #9
gregory
Tomatovillian™

As long as we don't get a freeze everything should be okay. 14 in pots and 42 in the ground. i had to trench plant the vast majority.