Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 23, 2007   #1
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Default Jerry's German Giant, What the?!

I received bonus seeds in trade for this variety. When looking up the description, I am confused.
This is from Baker Creek, but other sources describe the same:
Mammoth fruit can grow up to 3 lbs. This variety comes in two color forms, one is 'deep pink', the other is 'yellow with red streaks'. Both colors are very sweet, flavorful, and come mixed together in the packet. This is a local heirloom that is grown by Jerry of our local MFA tire shop and has been in his family for many years. An excellent German-type that is still popular here in the Ozark mountains, where many varieties are still being preserved by the local people of this traditional area.

From the above, it seems that plants either grow pink fruits or striped fruit not both together. So is this two varieties mixed together in a pkg. or what?
Thanks,
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2007   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Good question, I had noticed that on the site as well. I'd personally be more likely to try something like this if it was offered as two distinct varieties in separate seed packs, instead of as a mix.

I suppose it's either unstable, or both "color forms" have been maintained separately by the family. Perhaps one form came about as the result of a cross or mutation in their garden, they liked it, and continued to grow it as well?

All I can do is speculate...

In your shoes, I would ask the trader which "color form" they saved seeds from (if saved seed).
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2007   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I had a similar situation a few years ago with a variety that had been sent to me. And there were both kinds of fruits on some of the same plants.

Clearly it was genetically unstable and I just didn't want to go to the trouble of working with it to clean it up.

Sounds to me like the variety being discussed above may have similar problems and I'm not sure why it's being offered as one variety.