Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old May 18, 2016   #1
A.brooke.c
Tomatovillian™

Default What is wrong with my potatos

This is my 1st time growing potatoes and I'm not sure what's wrong with them.

Im zone 8b
I planted them March the 1st
I'm not sure what kind they are other than they are suppose to be red potatoes?.... 😅

Ok so they started out great! I wasn't having a problem at all until stink bugs got into them.... That's when all the brown spots and some wilting started. I assumed they was from the stink bugs somehow. I put seven dust on them and the stink bugs left but now they have growing(I feel like) and some wilting is still happening.
A.brooke.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2016   #2
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

Potatoes suffer from the same diseases that tomatoes do and from your pics I'd say early blight/septoria. It also looks like you might some have viral potato leaf roll going on.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2016   #3
A.brooke.c
Tomatovillian™

Could the stink bug have cause this to happen?

Is it too late to correct any of it?
It's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A.brooke.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2016   #4
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Brooke, like was said, potatoes and tomatoes share a lot of misery. I always recommend folks should do "preventative" spraying/dusting to prevent the bugs and fungi from getting a foothold in your garden. Once they get in there, the damage is always much worse, and the repair/recovery of the plants is always much harder.

Looks like you used something like Sevin Dust. Get a good fungicide and coat the leaves. It may at least slow down the processes of the damaging agent. Personally, I use Garden Safe as a Preventative spraying on all my garden. Pretty soon, the Japanese Beetles will arrive. I try to be ready for them.

If you wait for symptoms to appear, it is usually already too late. I started this regimen when I lived in Buford, GA.

Hope this helps.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote