Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 23, 2023   #1
herbeapuce
Tomatovillian™

Default Looking for info of the Oneda's German tomato plz....

Hi . I bought these seeds last year . I can not find anything on the web about this tomato specie. Can you help ? If you know it plz let me know what you think of it ? would love to see a picture also.... no luck on the web yet... thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oneda's German tomato seeds.jpg (148.4 KB, 86 views)
herbeapuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2023   #2
herbeapuce
Tomatovillian™

Hi
I'm lucky the seller has got back to me with the info I was looking for .If you have personnel experience with this tomato, please share it. Everyone is welcome
__________________________________________________ _______

Answer from Experimental Farm Network :
""
Yes, it's a very rare heirloom, so you won't find much on it. We're sold out (need to do a big grow-out next year), but I do love it.

Here's the description from our website. No reviews available. Photo attached.

Thanks for your patronage!

Nate Kleinman

Oneda's German Tomato

Solanum lycopersicum
Origin: Lexington, Kentucky
Improvement status: Cultivar
Life cycle: Annual
EFN INTRODUCTION. NEW. If you're looking for a huge, delicious, productive, crack-resistant, heirloom beefsteak tomato, you've come to the right place! EFN co-founder Nate Kleinman picked up seeds for this beauty at the great Appalachian Seed Swap in Pikeville, Kentucky, from a teacher and seed saver named Rita Milburn. The packet the seeds came in said "Oneida German," which intrigued Nate, whose farm in central New York is on the land of the Oneida people (part of the Haudenosaunee Confederacy). As it turns out, that was a misspelling!
Rita got the tomato a few years ago from a woman named Oneda Bain of Lexington, Kentucky (Rita and I have since conversed and decided it's best to call it 'Oneda's German'). Oneda got the tomato from a neighbor in her 80s who said she had been growing the tomato for longer than she can remember. She originally got it from a German-American friend who said the tomato had been in his family his whole life — and he passed away some two decades ago or more. So this is truly an old family heirloom tomato, and we're honored to be making it available to the wider world beyond Kentucky for the first time!

This tomato is beautiful, with a deep-red-pink color, enormous size, appealing shape (often two large lobes, with the slightest amount of ribbing), and on healthy plants. It seems to like heat, but also performed well for Nate in relatively cool central New York. The flavor is vinous and sweet, just as an heirloom tomato should be. The large unripe fruits are particularly great for fried green tomatoes too!

There are tons of heirloom tomatoes out there, so we know you have plenty of choices, but we can say with assurance that 'Oneda's German' will not disappoint.

On Tue, May 23, 2023, 5:26 PM Experimental Farm Network <efn@radicante.net

here's the picture they provided:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oneda's German tomato.jpg (120.7 KB, 82 views)
herbeapuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2023   #3
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

Hopefully you will come back and post your thoughts on this tomato during the season!
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2023   #4
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Thanks so much for sharing this variety information, very interesting find. We would love to hear how it does for you.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2023   #5
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for sharing the information. It's always a pleasure to read about the history behind a particular variety. I hope you save seeds!
DK2021 is offline   Reply With Quote