Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 12, 2016   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default Important - for those growing our Dwarf project releases

I've pondered for some time that it is appropriate to start to build a picture of which of our 60 varieties do well, where - do they perform as expected? Which struggle, which succeed, which are the favorites, which are the laggards.

So here is a survey - it is simple, and the hope is to catch anyone who has grown the named, released varieties - no matter how or where you got them (the four major vendors, as a project member, etc).

Patrina and I have each tried it out - it is quick, simple, and you can run through it for each variety. I will provide reports now and then. This will really help those who sell the varieties, and those of us who want to grow them, understand better which ones do well and where - and for what reasons.

The survey is here. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...n4R8g/viewform

Have at it, have fun - and be honest. Please note any questions you have about the survey in this thread.
Old August 14, 2016   #2
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

I grew nine this year, and hope to respond over time. It would be good to know which ones I've already reviewed.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2016   #3
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I can see the data - so feel free to ask here or email me and I can provide the info of what you've already reviewed
Old August 14, 2016   #4
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Okay, thanks!
Old September 2, 2016   #5
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Craig, I would be happy to help with results...and will fill out the survey. Will you be making the results available to folks on this site?
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2016   #6
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Sure Ed - I will provide some periodical reporting - we are approaching 70 entries at the moment. Hoping to well into the hundreds over time; I've asked each of the four main seed companies offering the dwarfs to provide the link on their website.
Old September 6, 2016   #7
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Did I already do Dwarf Golden Heart?
Old September 6, 2016   #8
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Shrink, looks like you've done Choc Light, Dwarf Purp Heart, Adelaide Fest, BrandyFred.
Old September 15, 2016   #9
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Okay, thanks. Golden Heart is standing out right now, and the fruit are bigger.

FWIW, I am seeing my BrandyFred setting their first fruit. I am happy to have a long season or they would be history! I will be out of town for two weeks in the near future, and I hope it won't be too late to see how they turn out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160915_203024659.jpg (193.4 KB, 561 views)

Last edited by Shrinkrap; September 15, 2016 at 11:47 PM.
Old May 5, 2017   #10
silkcom
Tomatovillian™

Craig,

Have you been doing these reports? I've been looking for this exact data . I'm interested in doing a few varieties from the dwarf project next year but don't really know where to start. Getting people's real world feedback would be awesome. Maybe giving us read access to the data from this?
silkcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2017   #11
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Hi silkcom - results are coming in slowly - in fact only 92 responses so far. I am of two minds about it - getting people to fill in surveys is incredibly challenging - the flip side being we have 92 responses (I don't think Patrina has done many yet, nor have I).

With the gardening season underway, I will see what I can do to push this a bit. I've not even looked at the data myself yet - too busy! - but hope to mid summer when my speaking schedule slows down a bit.

Best thing to do is just look at the descriptions of the named varieties, find threads on them at Tomatoville - or Google the name, which will take you to the companies that carry them - there are often reviews there.
Old May 6, 2017   #12
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkcom View Post
Craig,

Have you been doing these reports? I've been looking for this exact data . I'm interested in doing a few varieties from the dwarf project next year but don't really know where to start. Getting people's real world feedback would be awesome. Maybe giving us read access to the data from this?
Here is one place, of many, to start your research. http://www.victoryseeds.com/dwarf-tomato-project.html

A google search, 'best tasting dwarf tomatoes' will link you to a thread here, etc.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2017   #13
silkcom
Tomatovillian™

That's why I was thinking you just open the spreadsheet itself. Then we could be helping build the reports .
silkcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2017   #14
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Here are this years; hoping to get them to their permanent homes soon. Loxtan Lass and Lad, Rosella Crimson, Dwarf Sweet Sue and Dwarf Golden Gypsy. A!so repeat performance for New Big Dwarf and Dwarf Wild Fred.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1494191569923148981272.jpg (556.3 KB, 419 views)
Old January 1, 2019   #15
zendog
Tomatovillian™

I just submitted reports for Dwarf Purple Heart, Rosella Purple and Tennessee Suited and would encourage any other dwarf growers to take the time and report what you've found.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this excellent project to give us great new dwarfs to try.
zendog is offline   Reply With Quote