Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old March 21, 2008   #1
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Default Zinnia seeds question..

Never started them inside before but do I need to 'pot up' the seedlings? They're getting pretty lanky and don't plan on putting them in the ground for a few weeks still. Growing about 10 different colors for a showy bed this summer.

Now, I have them started in cell packs with multiple seeds in each cell. If I don't pot up, should I just have one seedling per cell? or two?

Thanks,

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2008   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

This is the first year I've started them indoors, too. Just wanted to get a head start on the color. Mine are in three inch pots and I thinned to one plant per pot. I started six weeks before last frost and have already made a note to start four weeks before last frost next year. Mine won't go into the garden until the second week of April. How far are you from planting out?

Mine are growing fast and about six inches tall now. They're not in danger of falling over or anything though. Since they are fast growers and you have them in cell packs, you may need to move them to larger quarters if you can't get them into the garden soon.
Old March 22, 2008   #3
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

I plan on putting them in the ground around the third week of April. Mine are not quite six inches but I just don't want them to fall over. I think your right and I should put them into a larger home.
I found a spot that they like in the back yard that they did wonderful last year so I'm putting ALOT of them in. They really do look great when you have alot of them. I think I have 8 different colors. Should be nice.

Thanks ShellyB,

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2008   #4
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I love all the colors in a big mass. I'm putting them all along my back fence, by the patio. I'm growing California Giants Mix. Should be nice for cutting, too. I'm spacing mine a little further apart this year to try to keep the powdery mildew down.