Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old June 7, 2013   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Deep Planting Eggplants & Peppers

I just watched Craig's extremely nice videos about dense planting and transplanting. But I notice that the eggplant and pepper plants have "stretched." IS it OK to plant those deeply, also?
-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2013   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Peppers can be planted deeply, but you don't get the same benefit as planting tomatoes deep. Eggplant I don't know. I am a failure at eggplant growing. It is my Nemesis.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2013   #3
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
I just watched Craig's extremely nice videos about dense planting and transplanting. But I notice that the eggplant and pepper plants have "stretched." IS it OK to plant those deeply, also?
-GG
Hello Greatgardens,

I've grown both eggplant and peppers successfully over the years, but I've never planted them deeply as I do with tomatoes, nor have I ever read anywhere recommending to plant them that way for some increased benefit. But you never know, maybe someone on Tomatoville here has had some experience doing that.

~Alfredo
Alfredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2013   #4
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I do find some roots on the stems of my deep planted peppers when I take them up for over wintering. But not a lot - nothing like the tomato.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2013   #5
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Red

In your location, you should be able to grow eggplant. What varieties have you planted?
Old June 7, 2013   #6
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Deep planting has advantages other than rooting along the buried part of the stem - such as protecting the stem of lanky plants from the elements.

I transplant everything I grow deeply - and everything I transplant does just great.
Old June 7, 2013   #7
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvpc View Post
Red

In your location, you should be able to grow eggplant. What varieties have you planted?
Just the standard black eggshaped ones. One was dwarf if I remember correctly. I know, I know, I should be more specific due to the precision I pay to other crops. Honestly, since I never had any luck with eggplant, I never became that interested in it. I plant a couple seeds every year, sometime buy a plant or two from the nursery. Then watch as they sprout, grow a bit, then get eaten to death.

Turns out Eggplant is a great trap crop. Everything loves eating it! I had one survive this year. A black beauty I think. It even has a blossom! Who knows? Maybe this will be the year?

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
Old June 7, 2013   #8
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Just the standard black eggshaped ones. One was dwarf if I remember correctly. I know, I know, I should be more specific due to the precision I pay to other crops. Honestly, since I never had any luck with eggplant, I never became that interested in it. I plant a couple seeds every year, sometime buy a plant or two from the nursery. Then watch as they sprout, grow a bit, then get eaten to death.
First, the baby plants need to be under cover until they get big enough to fend for themselves. I cover mine until the first flowers start forming. This year I used a cloche; other years I've used row cover.

Second, eggplant roots like warmth. I've had much better success growing in containers than in the ground.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2013   #9
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Red

So its the critters that take your eggplant down-I thought it might be your growing conditions.
Old June 7, 2013   #10
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvpc View Post
Red

So its the critters that take your eggplant down-I thought it might be your growing conditions.
Both actually. Anything that survives the weather gets diseased, anything that doesn't get diseased gets eaten, anything that doesn't get eaten dies from the weather. A 2 week life span is typical for a very strong eggplant. Most sprout and die the same day or two. So I completely gave up planting them from seed in the garden and started growing seedlings. They do great until I set them outside to harden them. One day outside and 50% losses due to pests. Seldom do they last a week. So I gave up growing seedlings and this year I bought the large 3 dollar potted seedlings from Bonneys. One died, the other looks like lace! But it has a couple new leaves and one flower! So maybe it will pull through after all? If it does, it will be my first ever. Woo Hoo!

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old June 8, 2013   #11
peppero
Tomatovillian™

i have grown seedlings and overwintered in my greenhouse and like redbaron i have had many failures but, enough success to continue trying. i try several varieties and prefer the long types. they do make beautiful plants. this year i am growing them in two and three gallon containers about two feet off the ground and have some blooms. i wish you success.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote