Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Closed Thread

Old September 13, 2012   #1
Baizanator
Tomatovillian™

Default Marianna's Heirloom Seeds...

Is something wrong with this company? I placed an order a few weeks back and have not received it yet. I've call and emailed with no response to either.
Old September 13, 2012   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I occasionally have that problem with mariseeds but not usually. Sometimes an order will slip through the cracks and I email her with my paypal info and she'll find it and send it right away. I did place an order the beginning of August and it took about a month to get it but she did email me and tell me she was really busy with seed saving. That's probably what's happening with your order. I bet she just has her hands full. After the holidays when she lists the new varieties, that probably wouldn't happen because that's the time she expects to be busy. I've been ordering from her for a long time will continue to do so.
Old September 13, 2012   #3
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I think she has been on a sort of vacation for the past week. I'll bet your problem will be taken care of soon. She is one of the best at customer service.
Old September 14, 2012   #4
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Right now I believe she is in the middle of harvest and saving seeds for her new offerings in the coming year. Ami
Old September 14, 2012   #5
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

I emailed her a week ago about creating an account so I could orders some seeds and have yet to recieve an answer to my question.
Old September 14, 2012   #6
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Default Marianna's Seed

I too have placed an order and found out that they have been on vacation until September 15th...said they would fill the orders when they returned.
Old September 15, 2012   #7
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

I ordered many seeds from her early in the year, and had several off types. I emailed her to let her know my Corno di Toro was a bell pepper and got no response. That was over a month ago.
Old September 15, 2012   #8
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

She's given control of her website to a very sketchy individual, so I no longer consider her to be a reputable source for seeds. I have since removed her from our list of seed and plant sources, accordingly.

There are much better sources to obtain tomato seeds and they're members here, too - Remy, Carol, Tania, Steve, Brad, etc... all are reliable, trustworthy people that are both appreciative and worthy of your business.

Click here to see our list.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Old September 24, 2012   #9
poypoyking
Tomatovillian™

I believe she has gotten married and moved several hundred miles in the last month. Between that and this being prime seed saving/processing time I would give her a little time to make things right.
Old September 25, 2012   #10
beefyboy
Tomatovillian™

Wow!!!! I had problems with her seeds as well and had two packs of seed not germinating and let her know and have not heard from her in over a week. I do not like when seed companies fail to put dates of when the seeds were packed! Tomato growers supply in Ft. Myers and Marianna's both do not do this and to me this is not an honest way to do business. I had seed from Tomato Growers that must have been old, fail to germinate, but they promptly replaced them for me! Love there selection, but not there truth in labeling policy.
Old September 25, 2012   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

As I recall TGS and many other companies do have a packed by date on their seed packs but that's relatively useless infomation IMO since it only tells you when the seeds were packed, not when they were produced.

I do know that Linda at TGS does germination tests on all the seeds she sells, and I only know that about the tomato seed.

In Europe seed packs have a best used by date on the seed packs, but not the actual seed age. So at least you have some additional info with the best used by date.

Edited to add that I know Adam Gleckler does germination tests on all that he sells, and I'm sure some others do as well, but off hand I don't know which companies.
Old September 25, 2012   #12
gixxerific
Tomatovillian™

Marainna's seeds are test germinated as well. Most of them are fresh too.

She is very busy and having many personal issues. But this will come to pass.
Old September 25, 2012   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerific View Post
Marainna's seeds are test germinated as well. Most of them are fresh too.

She is very busy and having many personal issues. But this will come to pass.
I knew there were other companies that also did germination tests so thanks for that.

I know what's happening since Marianne contacted me today. We've known each other since about 1991 , as SSE members, and she used to send me requests for I can't tell you how many tomato varieties each year. About Xmas time this past year she asked me about Milka's Red Bulgarian, one that I had sent her a year or so ago, I can't remember exactly, and I think she's now listing it at her website and we kind of got caught up on our lives at that time.
Old September 25, 2012   #14
beefyboy
Tomatovillian™

TGS absolutely does not have a date on seed packets unless I am completely blind which is not the case. And as far as when there produced Carolyn, I understand your thinking, but common sense tells me that a guideline of packaging times is better than none at all. If you have a large amount of seed packets it is easy to keep up with how old they are with stamped dates that are close to being accurate, so I can't disagree with you more!
Old September 25, 2012   #15
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefyboy View Post
TGS absolutely does not have a date on seed packets unless I am completely blind which is not the case. And as far as when there produced Carolyn, I understand your thinking, but common sense tells me that a guideline of packaging times is better than none at all. If you have a large amount of seed packets it is easy to keep up with how old they are with stamped dates that are close to being accurate, so I can't disagree with you more!

I apologize, I thought TGS did have a packed by date on the seed packs but I haven't bought any tomatoes from any place in a very long time and that includes TGS. Tomato varieties just seem to find me but I also admit that I go looking b'c since I fell in Dec of 2004 and can no longer grow the hundreds of plants and varieties that I used to I concentrate on trying to grow varieties that will be new to all or most/

I do buy other fruit and vegetable seeds from several other places and they all have packed by dates on them.

And it's one reason that when I do my annual seed offer here I take the time to note the date seeds were produced on each and every pack I send out and this past Jan that was over 500 packs.

But things will be different for my next seed offer but of course I'll still write the date on the packs even though in my seed offer the varieties are listed by year of seed production.