Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old May 15, 2012   #16
Benjy
Tomatovillian™

Hello everyone...I have used the 2" soil blocks with great success...making them is easy and I get great germination rates using soil blocks and a grow mat. I cover my seeds with either a dark colored garbage bag or an aluminum foil pan with a clear plastic cover(roasting pan) and watch for first signs of germination. If using garbage bag I uncover them when I see first signs of seedlings...if using roasting pan with clear plastic cover I remove cover as necessary to move seedlings by hand or by a small fan. This method gives me high germination rates. I also purchased the English 2" soil blockers...I have micro 20 and 4" but have found that I use the 2" for the most part. I choose to leave my seedlings in the 2" soil blocks until the first two sets of true leaves form...about 3-4" seedling...I then transplant to solo plastic cups. I use the commercial seedling mix made by the company that has miracle fertilizer.
Benjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2012   #17
sfulwood
Tomatovillian™

don't know if anyone stops by here but i am having a problem transplanting from the micro 20 where i start the seeds into the 2" blocks where i keep them until plantout. the problem is my great looks seedlings are dying after transplant. i used them quite successfully in the spring but in starting cool weather crops to plant out into my hoophouse my results are miserable. i mix my own blocking mix based on elliot coleman's recipe, bottom water, growlight propagation area; what am i missing?
sfulwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2012   #18
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfulwood View Post
don't know if anyone stops by here but i am having a problem transplanting from the micro 20 where i start the seeds into the 2" blocks where i keep them until plantout. the problem is my great looks seedlings are dying after transplant. i used them quite successfully in the spring but in starting cool weather crops to plant out into my hoophouse my results are miserable. i mix my own blocking mix based on elliot coleman's recipe, bottom water, growlight propagation area; what am i missing?
Do you mix up fresh starting mix, or do you use leftover stuff from spring planting. I just read (I think somewhere on the Vermont Compost Company site) that keeping the stuff around over summer, unless you have ideal storage conditions (cool, dark, not too dry nor too wet) that the good microbes and mycos won't live, or keep the proper balance, and growth could be impeded by that.
Shawn
Old April 25, 2013   #19
jebradl
Tomatovillian™

Default Just Discovered Soil Blocks

I just discovered soil blocks a couple of weeks ago. I was discussing them with a friend, and he told me that he's been using them for a couple of years. He told me that he spreads seeds onto a capillary mat, and then puts them in the soil block after the seed has sprouted. He said that he doesn't even bother with the 3/4" size, because he knows the seed is viable when he puts it into the 2" pot.
jebradl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013   #20
beeman
Tomatovillian™

I have just started with Soil blocks and while I'm delighted with the overall use, I do have one problem.
I can't remember the name of the poster who gave his mixture for soil, but he did add a number of fertilizers to the block making compost.
I get good germination, but then the plants become stretched, long and lanky. I believe it's the use of fertilizer in the seed starter mix. One site I visited stated 'no fertilizer' so I'm wondering if this might be my problem?
Comments, please.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013   #21
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Beeman,
What size blocks are you using?
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013   #22
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
Beeman,
What size blocks are you using?
2 Inch.
Old May 22, 2013   #23
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

I love the blocks but they are definitely a bit fiddley.
Check out Jason Beams mixes. Here are his recipes, which he also sells.
http://www.pottingblocks.com/blocking-mix-recipes/
I have used his micro mix and his Old farm boy mix and liked both.
I use the micro 20, 2 in and the 4 in. blocks.
Now using his micro mix only for the 3/4 in blocks.
Changed up my methods though.
Pre germinate seed and make the 3/4 blocks at the same time and give the blocks a good spray with 3% hydrogen peroxide. (Helps with damping off)
Sprouted seed go in the 3/4 in blocks when they are popping.
For the 2 in and 4 in blocks I use straight Promix BX. Then I can completely control the ferts. Straight Promix has to be very wet to get good compression though.

So even just using the 2 in blocks I would advocate pre germination and into the 2 in with a straight soilless mix, no ferts added.
I did cukes that way this year, straight into the 2 in and it worked fine.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013   #24
jebradl
Tomatovillian™

Default Long, lanky growth

>... I get good germination, but then the plants become stretched, long and lanky. ...

What are you using for lighting for your plants? Long, lanky growth is often a characteristic of the plants not receiving enough light, or the color of light is not ideal.
jebradl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013   #25
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebradl View Post
>... I get good germination, but then the plants become stretched, long and lanky. ...

What are you using for lighting for your plants? Long, lanky growth is often a characteristic of the plants not receiving enough light, or the color of light is not ideal.
In my greenhouse?
Old June 11, 2013   #26
wally mcgee
Tomatovillian™

Dumb question: what is a capillary mat?
wally mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2013   #27
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally mcgee View Post
Dumb question: what is a capillary mat?
A mat used in a greenhouse under pots etc, wicks water up from a container and waters from the bottom. Ideal if you are going to be unable to water plants, if you are going away for a few days.
Old June 11, 2013   #28
wally mcgee
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. I may have to look into those.

I have a mini blocker which I use for seeds that take a higher germination temp. I made its companion 2" blocker and also made an 1&1/2" blocker which I use for lettuce., etc. I made these out of plastic boards , fake wood, found at Menards, or Home Depot.
Old June 14, 2013   #29
vodreaux
Tomatovillian™

I use Jiffy Pellet Pod from Home Depot or Lowes.

72 pods for $8.00.
vodreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2013   #30
wally mcgee
Tomatovillian™

Default brand...style

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman View Post
A mat used in a greenhouse under pots etc, wicks water up from a container and waters from the bottom. Ideal if you are going to be unable to water plants, if you are going away for a few days.
Could you recommend a brand or type of mats to use. I usually put my soil blocks in baking tins, from wally mart, that come with the dome clear lid...top. ?