Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 15, 2023   #1
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

Default KarenO's 'Cowboy' grown in CT

I've been growing a few of KarenO's tomatoes here in my CT garden these last 2 years. When I saw her post photos of Cowboy, it was a must grow for me.

Weighing in at 20.25 oz (574g for you Canucks) here is my largest yet from my single plant.
[IMG][/IMG]

Cannot wait to try this beauty!!!! Tomatoes have been slow coming this year. We had a lot of heat that I think slowed down the start of the things. Tomatoes are late this year but better late than never!

Thanks Karen!
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2023   #2
wxcrawler
Tomatovillian™

"Cowboy" did great for me in Tulsa this year. Taste was outstanding. Plus, it handled our high heat and humidity well into the summer. I typically have to take my tomatoes down in mid-late July due to the heat. Cowboy made it to August 12.

Karen created another great tomato.

Lee
wxcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2023   #3
T0mat0stevek
Tomatovillian™

Cowboy looks and sounds like a real winner!
T0mat0stevek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2023   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Excited to see you photo and also to hear feedback about its performance in different locations. This is its first season outside of my garden and it’s special to me since it’s named for my Dad. Please let me know what you think of the flavour!
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2023   #5
wxcrawler
Tomatovillian™

Here's the only picture I took of Cowboy this season. The taste for me is just what a great tomato should taste like. Sweetness? Yep. Tangy? Yep. Balanced? Perfectly. It has a rich, old-fashioned tomato flavor that grabs your attention, but doesn't slap you in the face. I knew it was a good one when my wife got the first bite of the first ripe Cowboy, and her eyes immediately lit up. "Yum!" It'll be in my line up every year now.

Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2274.jpg (141.1 KB, 271 views)
Old August 17, 2023   #6
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxcrawler View Post
Here's the only picture I took of Cowboy this season. The taste for me is just what a great tomato should taste like. Sweetness? Yep. Tangy? Yep. Balanced? Perfectly. It has a rich, old-fashioned tomato flavor that grabs your attention, but doesn't slap you in the face. I knew it was a good one when my wife got the first bite of the first ripe Cowboy, and her eyes immediately lit up. "Yum!" It'll be in my line up every year now.

Lee
That’s wonderful Lee! Thank you so much
Karen
Old August 19, 2023   #7
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

We cut open Cowboy last night.... Wow! What an experience! We (hubby and I) tasted plain and with salt - def does not need salt. Amazing flavor!!! Hubby tried and said it's a definite re-do and suggested a garden full of them! That won't happen because I do like variety, but Cowboy has earned a repeat spot. We enjoyed thick slices on a perfectly cooked burger.

Looks amazing.... tastes even better!
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2023   #8
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Excellent! So happy to see growout results. Especially great when “ tomato people” like it thank you for the review!
Seeds will be available this fall from Artisan Seeds and others
KarenO

Last edited by KarenO; August 19, 2023 at 09:56 PM.
Old August 19, 2023   #9
deltoro
Tomatovillian™

I've put it on my wishlist - I'll try to get it for next season.
deltoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2023   #10
ClarkB
Tomatovillian™

Karen - as a big Polaris fan, I'm really hoping to try Cowboy next year. Are there any vendors in the US that do or will offer seeds? I've not been able to find them.
ClarkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2023   #11
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Not yet but should be available from Fred at Artisan Seeds this fall
KarenO
Old September 13, 2023   #12
deltoro
Tomatovillian™

Is it possible to purchase privately? I want Cowboy for next season too. In this I am delighted with the trio of Polaris, Taiga and Tundra.
deltoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2023   #13
ClarkB
Tomatovillian™

Just received Cowboy seeds from Secret Seed Cartel. Can't wait to give them a try. Karen - how would you describe the differences between Polaris, Cowboy, and One Trick Pony?
ClarkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2023   #14
wxcrawler
Tomatovillian™

I'm very interested to hear how Karen answers that question. I can give you my comparison of Polaris and Cowboy from my garden in Tulsa. I haven't tried One Trick Pony yet.

Polaris has been a must grow for me since it was introduced. Captain Lucky is one of my favorite tomatoes, and Polaris tasted like a Captain Lucky that was maybe very slightly less sweet (but still sweet) and had that great "smokey" favor of a typical purple/dark tomato. It also had a "richness" in the flavor, similar to Captain Lucky, that you don't see in very many tomatoes. 2021 in my garden was "the year of the darks", where I grew Carbon, Polaris, Dana's Dusky Rose, Daniel Burson, and Rosella Purple Dwarf, all side-by-side for a taste test. 5 out of 5 people in my house chose Polaris as their favorite from those. Carbon and Daniel Burson were both very good, but Polaris was better IMHO.

Cowboy is different than Polaris, even with Captain Lucky as a parent. But it is equally outstanding. It has a more traditional "old-time", balanced tomato flavor. If I describe Polaris as sweet and smokey, I'd say Cowboy is sweet and tangy. The flavor balance for Cowboy was perfect in my garden this year. I've only grown it in 2023, so I want to give it a couple more seasons. But I plan to also grow it every year. It was the best tomato of 18 I grew this past season. I also started Cowboy plants for my parents and my sister in 2023, and they both said it was the favorite from their garden this year, as well.

I would have a very hard time choosing between Polaris or Cowboy, if I could only grow one. I'd probably go with Cowboy, because it seems to be a little more productive. But I only grew it in 2023, so I'll need a couple more years to make a valid comparison on production.

When the seeds for One Trick Pony (and maybe Bloodstone) become available, I'm sure I'll try to get some. Karen makes some great tomatoes.

Lee
Old November 22, 2023   #15
Hensaplenty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxcrawler View Post
Karen makes some great tomatoes.
Indeed, she does! In 2024, my garden will be the year of KarenO tomatoes! All the ones I have tried thus far (KARMA Pink & Apricot, Polaris, Taiga, Midnight Sun) have done well in my southern garden. Planning to add more to the collection. Thanks, Karen!
Hensaplenty is offline   Reply With Quote