Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old January 24, 2007   #1
Thomas
Tomatovillian™

Default White Wonder x ?

After reading many posts, trying to gain some knowledge about the crossing of tomatoes, I want to try.
My experiment will be to try and come up with my own white and red striped tomato. I have White Wonder but am wondering what to cross it with.

I did read the post where Carolyn said that a striped tomato is different than a bi-color. I am not really worried about the flesh or taste so much as the appearance. So If you can think of a tomato whether it is striped or bi-color i would appreciate your opinions.

Is there such thing already as a "peppermint tomato"?
Would a different white tomato be better?

Thomas
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2007   #2
Thomas
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the reply kctomato, I have learned alot from your posts! 8)
White Queen has been talked about alot as being the the superior white tomato. I will try to get my hands on a few seeds.

The seeds I have on hand are Mr. Stripey, Tigerella, Hillbilly, Green Zebra, Tiny Tiger. any of those Gr fruits?

I have looked at the stickies at the top of the forum, but still trying to translate. Maybe I should just sit back and read a little more. Although, after about three days of constant reading (weather is a little nasty for my line of work right now ) one would think I might have figured something out
Old January 24, 2007   #3
travis
Tomatovillian™

Just a suggestion ...

Shah Mikado X Red Lightening then
use Q-tips and Clorox for necessary touch-ups.

P - ooo - eee - V
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2007   #4
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctomato
What about using Berkeley Tie Dye? It is both striped and bicolor (really tricolor).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Vic
Shah Mikado X Red Lightening then
use Q-tips and Clorox for necessary touch-ups.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2007   #5
Thomas
Tomatovillian™

Papa Vic.. I thought about the Red Lightning. I saw that on the Burpee stand last week at Wally World.
Or were you you just kidding with the newbie

Aunt Ruby's German Green x White Queen
White Queen x Red Lightning

I will keep researching. From what I am reading I can use several different pollens on one plant and then label each Pedical that contains a different male pollen?.?.?
Old January 24, 2007   #6
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas
Papa Vic.. I thought about the Red Lightning. I saw that on the Burpee stand
last week at Wally World. Or were you you just kidding with the newbie
Thomas,

Yes, I was kidding about the Shah Mikado and the Clorox ...
but not about the Red Lightening or the Q-tips

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2007   #7
Thomas
Tomatovillian™

Wait till the Mythbusters find out that there is a blonde bigfoot running around in tomato fields
Old January 25, 2007   #8
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Here is the biggest myth in this post - that there is such a thing as Shah Mikado!

Mikado was a pink potato leaf in the 1880's. Shah was a mutation or cross - deep golden yellow, potato leaf, that was offered for only a couple of years in the Henderson catalog. (I have the Henderson catalogs describing both of them). There was Mikado. There was Shah. There was no Shah Mikado.

My view - if you want to see what Shah looked like, think Yellow Brandywine or Aunt Gertie's Gold or Elbe.

This whole Shah Mikado thing appears to be WWW hocus pocus....
Old January 25, 2007   #9
Thomas
Tomatovillian™

I was just offered a trade by someone claiming to have the "Mikado also known as the Shah".

Now for finding that "Snow Bank White Beafsteak" I here it is invisible
Old January 25, 2007   #10
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

kctomato entices/baits.....

T
Quote:
.Wagner probably knows a lot more about this than I. I would suggest PMing him and asking otherwise you'll either have to bait a forum topic with the name of one of his lesser known varieties (I'd suggest baiting a forum topic with "Can anyone tell me about these Verde Claro seeds I just got from ... <insert a fictious seed company here> " Wink) OR wait for a blue moon and then swing a ferral tomcat over your head 3,017 times while chanting a long forgotten poem written in some obscure language from the Isle of Man to get him to show up. Wink

Quote:
Nish cre dy ghra 'sy chooish yn shoh cha's'aym,
Agh son lane pleat cha naik'ym monney feme.

Now what to say 'bout this I do not know,
But for much talk, I perceive no need.

I have developed scads of striped tomatoes but as yet no red and white stripes (peppermint). Do I need to explain?

There is room for breeding 1. stripes 2. bicolors 3. blushes 4. flesh colors 5. clear epidermals 6. sub-epidermal colored layers with several generations of crossing, backcrossing, selfing, etc.

When will the 2007 Blue Moon occur? May, June or July, depending on your timezone.

Feral cats in Australia as said to be rather common, and sentiments there may be tolerant to swinging feral tomcats, but unless you are made of Teflon..I suggest expired cats for those 3,017 swings. Watch out for shoulder tendonitis and adrenal dysfunctions and flying cat hair.

Pronouncing Manx words may sound cuss-able to those untrained.

Verde Claro may be trialled by some obscure seed companies here in Washington this year if negotiations reach accords.

OK, I showed up. Wish I could honor what I said in Manx. Aacheimnaghey!

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2007   #11
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

I would strongly suggest not trying to pick up one of our feral cats unless you want your head turned into minced meat. They are visious buggers and grow up to 3 times the size of domestic cats. I once saw one climbing up the vertical side of a hay stack on my fathers farm with a large rabbit in its mouth
Would be an easy way of getting red stripes but
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2007   #12
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Quote:
...tell us about what you learned from crosses with bicolored or striped flesh. what kind of segregation patterns have you seen for the bicolor vs solid?

The most extensive study I did with recombinants of bicolored and stripes was done in 1994. This is when I did a project of direct seeding with F-2 seed. I recall two populations vividly: F-2's of Pineapple-Turk's Turban and Pineapple-Schimmeig Creg.

Back in the days when commercial growers direct seeded their canner tomato fields, the farmers would have these tractor mounted drills. They mostly discontinued this practice for transplanted tomatoes instead.

I was fortunate enough to have sown thousands of seed per lot. I would go back and hoe out excess seedlings. As the fruits would mature, I would pick one fruit per plant and evaluate the segregation. In one scenario I would collate the types of fruit into classes: bicolors with stripes, solids with stripes, flesh colors stripes, flesh colors no stripes, etc. Bulk fruits of hundreds of plants could be extracted for the F-3 generation of evaluation within select parameters. Of course, individual plants with outstanding characteristics would be sought out for single seed descent operations on a renewed collection of fruits.

I suppose if I took the time, I could re-evaluate the precise phenotypes and their ratios. I would have to consult many of my field records and countless seed envelopes that have that data. Most of my advanced lines from that era are in stable OP selects and I don't have the original segs data copied. Some of that data is in storage facilities in California and here in Washington.

I could relate much of this segregation but it is not exactly 1:2:1 ratio stuff.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2007   #13
Thomas
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Tom for your time. I am doing my own research looking for answers here and there. If I get stumped I may call on you.