Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 19, 2011   #1
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Default Orange Minsk

I see quite a few people seem to be trying this variety. On Tania's site it sure is a nice looking tomato, but there isn't a lot of feedback about it. How do those who have tried it like the taste, etc?

And, how would it compare to Kellog's Breakfast or KBX? I'm trying KBX this year, never had KB.
Old June 19, 2011   #2
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Tracy,

Orange Minsk is one of my all time favorites. Top five in taste for slicers.

MikeInCypress
Old June 19, 2011   #3
BigdaddyJ
Tomatovillian™

I prefer KBX over KB but they taste the same to me. Prefer the X because it's a stronger grower. OM is a very nice variety too but a slight taste edge to KBX. This is my second year growing OM and both OM plants are really loaded with fruit. None of my other 27 varieties have as many fruit set so far this season as OM has...
Old June 19, 2011   #4
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

I didn't get great flavor from Orange Minsk (mild), but it was early and productive. I prefer KB, Earl of Edgecombe and Aunt Gertie's Gold.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2011   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam91 View Post
I see quite a few people seem to be trying this variety. On Tania's site it sure is a nice looking tomato, but there isn't a lot of feedback about it. How do those who have tried it like the taste, etc?

And, how would it compare to Kellog's Breakfast or KBX? I'm trying KBX this year, never had KB.
I received the seeds from Andrey in Minsk Belarus several years ago and the history is at Tania's site.

I thought it was a great new variety and taste was oustanding as was production. I SSE listed it and also have been offering it in my last several SASE free seed offers here at Tville and have also sent it to several commcercial seed sites where I know the owners and trust them/ As a result of their trials they also wanted to list it.

You asked for a comparison with KB and KBX and I've grown both, more than once and still prefer Orange Minsk. It could be compared, I suppose, to other large beefsteak orange varieties, but I'll stick just to the comparison you asked about.
Old June 20, 2011   #6
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Oh, don't let me restrain you Carolyn, comment on any you like

I am growing KBX and Aunt Gerties Gold this year - I'm considering Orange Minsk for next year. I don't think I'll grow KB, probably stick with KBX if I grow one of those again.

If you have any other orange beefsteaks you recommend (or recommend avoiding), have at it.
Old June 20, 2011   #7
GaryStPaul
Tomatovillian™

I've grown OM for two seasons now, seeds from Carolyn. It's a terrific tomato and, in my garden, more reliable, productive, and as good or better tasting than KB (haven't grown KBX). It's now in my top 10; highly recommended. Gary
GaryStPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2011   #8
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like it needs to make my list for next year. Now, which one to bump to make space...
Old June 20, 2011   #9
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

I really like the flavor of Orange Minsk. I prefer it to KB/KBX. It is strong growing plant that is very productive.

Good luck.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote