Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 17, 2017   #1
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Default My list of "Heavy Hitters" this year

Big Zac (F1,F2,F3)
Big Beef
Box Car Willie
Cosmonaut Volkov
Cole
Chapman
Cuostralee
Church
Mexico
Mule Team
Red Barn
Rebel Yell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2017   #2
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Nice list. You are surely going to get some monsters from that list!!!
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2017   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

They all sound really good. I would like to see the differences between the Big Zac F1, F2, and F3s.

My personal experience with growing F1s and F2s, I have not seen a lot of difference. However, my F3s are way different than the F1s. Of course, there could be an unknown cross along the way or ???
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2017   #4
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
They all sound really good. I would like to see the differences between the Big Zac F1, F2, and F3s.

My personal experience with growing F1s and F2s, I have not seen a lot of difference. However, my F3s are way different than the F1s. Of course, there could be an unknown cross along the way or ???
The F2 Big Zac I grew out last year were bigger than the F1s. I just noticed from the plants I started at the same time, F1s are the biggest faster growing plants, then F2 and F3. I'm also growing out Orange Slice, the F2's were great producers last year, much better than the F1's.
Old March 19, 2017   #5
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

Working on my seed trays today. Using Craig's "Tomatoman's" method. 30 degrees in Western NC with a light overnight snow on the ground. Plan for plant out mid to late May. Just relishing the thought of that first tomato sandwich!
twillis2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2017   #6
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillis2252 View Post
Working on my seed trays today. Using Craig's "Tomatoman's" method. 30 degrees in Western NC with a light overnight snow on the ground. Plan for plant out mid to late May. Just relishing the thought of that first tomato sandwich!
Hopefully you have room for a couple Orange Slice that I sent, if you do let me know how they did for you, BarbFL had good luck with them.
Old March 19, 2017   #7
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
Hopefully you have room for a couple Orange Slice that I sent, if you do let me know how they did for you, BarbFL had good luck with them.

Finished one tray of 50+ today, will sow my other tray tomorrow. Have not planted the KBX, and orange slice but they are on the table for tomorrow. Thanks to you and Barb. I will give an update later in the season...
twillis2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2017   #8
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I like Cole a lot, but it doesn't really fit in with the others. It is a compact determinate, very early, but didn't give a very long harvest window for me. It should be your first ripe tomato, and thus you will enjoy it a lot for the two weeks or so before the others ripen.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2017   #9
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I like Cole a lot, but it doesn't really fit in with the others. It is a compact determinate, very early, but didn't give a very long harvest window for me. It should be your first ripe tomato, and thus you will enjoy it a lot for the two weeks or so before the others ripen.
Yeah I noticed it after I posted it, having a Cole vs 0-33 vs Fireworks early tomato race this year.
Old March 20, 2017   #10
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Great List
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote