Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 8, 2017   #1
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 130
Default Need some help with converting to organic fertilizer

Okay, per soil test, my vegetable garden needs 1 lb per 1,000 sq ft of Nitrogen ( and 1/2 that for legume crops)

The synthetic fert recommendation is 2 lb urea (or 3 lb of 34-0-0).

I want to use soybean meal and alfalfa meal for my nitrogen requirements... this is feasible right?

According my (unreliable) math, I'd need 21.6 lb of 3 part soy: 1 part alfala.
Or 23.5 lb of 2 part soy: 1 part alfalfa.
Is this right?

Soybean meal: 7-2-1
Alfalfa meal: 2.5-0.5-2

All input greatly appreciated!
ARgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2017   #2
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™
 
AlittleSalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Zone 8A Texas Heat Zone 9
Posts: 9,987
Default

Legume crops like Black eyed peas fixate nitrogen which will help add nitrogen to your garden.

I know this may sound gross, but human urine is also an organic way to add nitrogen to the soil. But the person/s donating needs to be healthy. There is a lot of info on this online.
__________________
Salt, AlittleSalt, Robert
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2017   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 31,231
Default

If you are going the legume route plant crimson clover and turn it in or cut it down before it goes to seed.
Growing and harvesting legumes doesn't add that much nitrogen to the soil the plant uses it.
Another alternative is cotton seed meal as in cow feed.
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2017   #4
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 130
Default

I'm not wanting to use legumes as a source for garden nitrogen, really.. I'm wanting to use the soy meal and alfalfa meal that I have
ARgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2017   #5
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™
 
AlittleSalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Zone 8A Texas Heat Zone 9
Posts: 9,987
Default

AR, that's the magic words. "I already have them" I've been there too many times to count. I would think they would both help.

I did misunderstand your question at first.
__________________
Salt, AlittleSalt, Robert
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2017   #6
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™
 
BigVanVader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Greenville, South Carolina
Posts: 2,702
Default

Calcium nitrate is what I'd use. That's what I was told was best by my extension office and it's relatively cheap and very effective. I have used it in my fert regiment for 2 years now and the results are nearly instant. Can't help on the amounts, my math is terrible.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2017   #7
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
AR, that's the magic words. "I already have them" I've been there too many times to count. I would think they would both help.

I did misunderstand your question at first.
Thanks... now just wondering if my math is right..
ARgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2017   #8
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Calcium nitrate is what I'd use. That's what I was told was best by my extension office and it's relatively cheap and very effective. I have used it in my fert regiment for 2 years now and the results are nearly instant. Can't help on the amounts, my math is terrible.
From what I read, this product isn't suitable for any type of "organic" gardening.
Thanks for the input, though.
ARgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2017   #9
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North County, San Diego
Posts: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARgardener View Post
Okay, per soil test, my vegetable garden needs 1 lb per 1,000 sq ft of Nitrogen ( and 1/2 that for legume crops)

The synthetic fert recommendation is 2 lb urea (or 3 lb of 34-0-0).

I want to use soybean meal and alfalfa meal for my nitrogen requirements... this is feasible right?

According my (unreliable) math, I'd need 21.6 lb of 3 part soy: 1 part alfala.
Or 23.5 lb of 2 part soy: 1 part alfalfa.
Is this right?

Soybean meal: 7-2-1
Alfalfa meal: 2.5-0.5-2

All input greatly appreciated!
Assuming the organics are equally available as the synthetics and your ratios are all by weight.

In your 21.6 lb mixture you have 1.13 lbs alfalfa nitrogen and 0.13 lbs soy nitrogen for a total of 1.26 lbs nitrogen.


In your 23.5 lb mix you have 1.1 lbs alfalfa nitrogen and 0.19 lbs soy nitrogen for a total of 1.29 lbs nitrogen.
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2017   #10
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuspaul View Post
Assuming the organics are equally available as the synthetics and your ratios are all by weight.

In your 21.6 lb mixture you have 1.13 lbs alfalfa nitrogen and 0.13 lbs soy nitrogen for a total of 1.26 lbs nitrogen.


In your 23.5 lb mix you have 1.1 lbs alfalfa nitrogen and 0.19 lbs soy nitrogen for a total of 1.29 lbs nitrogen.
Thank you
I think that's acceptably close.
ARgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2017   #11
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™
 
Cole_Robbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Illinois, zone 6
Posts: 7,352
Default

http://extension.uga.edu/publication...fm?number=C853
How to Convert an Inorganic Fertilizer Recommendation to an Organic One
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2017   #12
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
http://extension.uga.edu/publication...fm?number=C853
How to Convert an Inorganic Fertilizer Recommendation to an Organic One
Thanks. That's the method I used to get to my current numbers... so hopefully it's good.
ARgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2017   #13
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™
 
barbamWY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North West Wyoming
Posts: 306
Default

I think that link would be good in a sticky.
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:59 PM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★