Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 14, 2018   #1
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Default Interview with Me mentioning DTP, Carolyn, Craig, Tomatoville

Hey all,
I got interviewed. I close my eye way too much when I'm trying to focus, lol, but I hope you enjoy it.
At 11:00 the part about Craig L., Carolyn, DTP, Tomatoville, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfsgIpOOtgo

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2018   #2
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for sharing the link! Not surprised tomatoes took over most of the interview. And I loved hearing about how you got into the seed business, and the fact that you grow for flavor.

A few years back I purchased Santa Maria seeds from you based on your opinion that they were better than Romeo, even though I believe you were also selling Romeo seeds at the time. That's not something you'd see in a description from a seed vendor in it for the money...
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2018   #3
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Great interview Remy!! That was the fastest 20 minutes I spent watching a video ever. Let us know when you go back for the next one.
Old October 14, 2018   #4
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Great interview!!
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2018   #5
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Excellent! Nice to put a video with one of the best people in the tomato world. Thank you for the link and for what you do.
Old October 14, 2018   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I too loved the interview but I found some things missing.

You never mentioned Remy Rouge.

You never mentioned that both of us have a love for roses.

You never mentioned our friend from Buffalo who always drove down from Buffalo for your tasting events, he who used to drive many of us crazy, especially Chuck Wyatt when he was still selling seeds. So what did Chuck do?He turned him over to me, gasp,without even asking and told him to ask me his questions.

It was driving me nuts since I couldn't remember his name so looked in my data book and there it was,Mark K,hi Mark if you are reading here, and what I found in addition to his name was his address in Buffalo,and what to my wondering eyes appeared below that was your address in Tonawada. About two years ago Mark asked if I had any seeds for the variety Coyote,I did, and sent them to him.

As I saw it you really never started your site to make money either. I think it was just the genes you had that pushed you forward.

Sometime I wish you would discuss your relatives and from whom YOU might have inherited their genes for growing almost everything. I know where I got my growing everything genes came from, and I think there are others who also know

I also remember that we used to exchange Xmas cards and you always slipped a pack of seeds in the card as a real Xmas present that you thought would be new to me.

I was going to say that I never sold seeds,just offered them for free in seed offers,but that isn't true since for many years I was an SSE member and listed seeds in the SSE Annual Yearbook that folks could buy from me. But I left SSE several years ago, I'm still a Lifetime member and still get all the publications.

So I told them to delete all my listings from the Yearbook and then I got several phone calls asking if I would donate seeds I had to SSE,I said no several times.

Again, a wonderful interview.

Carolyn
Old October 14, 2018   #7
Rockandrollin
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for posting your interview! I enjoyed it

As the saying goes..... Birds of a feather, flock together...
Rockandrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2018   #8
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Excellent job! Loved watching it.

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2018   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I saw half of it because I kept closing my eyes every time you did.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2018   #10
remy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
Excellent! Nice to put a video with one of the best people in the tomato world. Thank you for the link and for what you do.
Awe, thank you, Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Thanks for sharing the link! Not surprised tomatoes took over most of the interview. And I loved hearing about how you got into the seed business, and the fact that you grow for flavor.

A few years back I purchased Santa Maria seeds from you based on your opinion that they were better than Romeo, even though I believe you were also selling Romeo seeds at the time. That's not something you'd see in a description from a seed vendor in it for the money...
Thank you. I do remember that. I stopped growing Romeo as it wasn't so good, nice big size but otherwise, I didn't like it. Santa Maria, I love. I tell how it is, and that has been good for me. Sometimes people send me emails asking for my opinion on varieties because they know if I don't like it, I say so, .

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I too loved the interview but I found some things missing.

You never mentioned Remy Rouge.

You never mentioned that both of us have a love for roses.

You never mentioned our friend from Buffalo who always drove down from Buffalo for your tasting events, he who used to drive many of us crazy, especially Chuck Wyatt when he was still selling seeds. So what did Chuck do?He turned him over to me, gasp,without even asking and told him to ask me his questions.

It was driving me nuts since I couldn't remember his name so looked in my data book and there it was,Mark K,hi Mark if you are reading here, and what I found in addition to his name was his address in Buffalo,and what to my wondering eyes appeared below that was your address in Tonawada. About two years ago Mark asked if I had any seeds for the variety Coyote,I did, and sent them to him.

As I saw it you really never started your site to make money either. I think it was just the genes you had that pushed you forward.

Sometime I wish you would discuss your relatives and from whom YOU might have inherited their genes for growing almost everything. I know where I got my growing everything genes came from, and I think there are others who also know

I also remember that we used to exchange Xmas cards and you always slipped a pack of seeds in the card as a real Xmas present that you thought would be new to me.

I was going to say that I never sold seeds,just offered them for free in seed offers,but that isn't true since for many years I was an SSE member and listed seeds in the SSE Annual Yearbook that folks could buy from me. But I left SSE several years ago, I'm still a Lifetime member and still get all the publications.

So I told them to delete all my listings from the Yearbook and then I got several phone calls asking if I would donate seeds I had to SSE,I said no several times.

Again, a wonderful interview.

Carolyn
Thanks, Carolyn. Oh I could have gone on all day talking, . It went so fast! I was surprised when he said time was up. I could do a few shows on roses.
Yes, Mark K. is still around. I haven't seen him in a couple years though. That is too funny about Chuck Wyatt! I only got to mention Prudens Purple and Stump of the World, oh and Sungold. We could have spent hours discussing varieties, Remy Rouge and beyond.
I have a lot of gardening genes in my family. I don't think I told you but a couple years ago my cousin showed me pics of my great grandmother (who died when I was 5) visiting back home in Europe standing in these beautiful gardens. It was so cool to see them especially since photos were not a dime a dozen like they are now. You know she really wanted to have those photos taken.
Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockandrollin View Post
Thank you for posting your interview! I enjoyed it

As the saying goes..... Birds of a feather, flock together...
Glad you enjoyed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
Excellent job! Loved watching it.

Jeff
Glad you enjoyed it!

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Old October 14, 2018   #11
remy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
Great interview Remy!! That was the fastest 20 minutes I spent watching a video ever. Let us know when you go back for the next one.
It went by so fast when it happened! He even said he thought that was the fastest one ever which is good. He said he would like to have me back so hopefully I'll get rotated back in again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Great interview!!
Thanks, Fred!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I saw half of it because I kept closing my eyes every time you did.

Worth

Old October 15, 2018   #12
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

nice interview remy

a future interview can be on beans maybe. a lot of varieties, history, and interesting stories to cover make them deserving of a show of their own, dontcha think?

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2018   #13
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Great job! I really enjoyed it
I hope there will be others!

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2018   #14
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

It was a pity that the video is not available at this time ...
Nico

Nico.
NicolasGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2018   #15
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I was saving it for when I had a longer free time to watch -- also got the message that video is no longer available because the uploader has closed their YouTube account.

Any chance of finding it elsewhere?

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote