Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Post your favorite tomato-based recipes here.

Old October 26, 2011   #76
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Cheddar and Cilantro Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Source : Jennifer Meier, Your About.com Guide to Cheese

Adding cilantro, or any type of fresh herb for that matter, to this grilled cheddar sandwich is an easy way to turn simple grilled cheese into a sandwich with more flavor. Use any type of cheddar you like, although a white, sharp cheddar is especially good. And don't be stingy with the cilantro - its typically strong flavor is mellowed by the melted cheese.

Tips for Making the Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Keep the heat low so the bread becomes brown and crispy but doesn't burn before the cheese melts
Pressing down on the sandwich as it cooks helps the bread brown
Adding a lid to the skillet for a few minutes at the end can help the cheese melt
The bread slices shouldn't be much more than 1/2" thick
Don't be stingy with the amount of butter or olive oil used to coat the bread
Grated cheese melts faster than cheese slices

Yield: At least 4 sandwiches

Ingredients:
1/2 pound cheddar cheese, sliced thinly or grated
1 bunch of cilantro
slices of bread (sourdough is delicious with this sandwich)
butter or olive oil to coat bread

Preparation:
• Set out two slices of bread.
• Butter one side of each slice or drizzle generously with olive oil, then flip the bread over so it is laying butter/oil side down.
• Add desired amount of cheddar cheese to one slice and add cilantro on top.
• The cilantro can be roughly chopped, or you can simply lay sprigs that have most of the stem removed inside the sandwich.
• Use a generous amount of cilantro if you really want the flavor to come through.

• Place the second slice of bread on top (buttered/oiled side up) to make a sandwich.
• Repeat until you've made your desired amount of sandwiches - there should be enough cheese and cilantro to make at least 4 sandwiches.

• Heat a skillet over medium heat.
• Add the sandwich to the pan and cook 3-5 minutes until the side touching the pan is nicely browned.
• Flip the sandwich and turn the heat down to medium low.
• Continue to cook until the cheese is melted and the bread is nicely toasted.
• If necessary, you can add a lid to the pan to help the cheese melt.

More Cheese and Fresh Herb Combinations for Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

Mozzarella and Basil
Gruyere and Dill
Feta and Mint
Goat Cheese and Chives

Cooking with Cilantro

Often just the leaves of fresh cilantro are used in recipes, but the stems are edible as well, although sometimes a bit chewy.

Zana’s Variations:
I add Oka and sometimes spiced Gouda to the cheese mix.
Add slices of Black Krim Tomato, sweet onion, and a slice of double smoked Canadian Back Bacon to the Cheddar Cheese.
To spice it up, chiffonade some hot peppers of choice and add those too before grilling.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2011   #77
miken
Tomatovillian™

I'm late to the party but will chime in anyway:

1. Freshly made white bread (we haven't bought bread at the grocery store in years!), toasted
2. Applewood smoked bacon
3. Home made mayo (although my wife is a MW devotee)
4. Brandywine or Mortgage Lifter tomato with a little salt and (sometimes) oregano
5. Iceberg lettuce
miken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2011   #78
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Grilled Bacon Tomato and Cheddar Cheese Sandwich

All you need:

Thick sliced fresh bread
Butter or margarine
Sharp cheddar cheese slices
Thick sliced smoked bacon
Beefsteak tomato slices

All you have to do:

Spread margarine on 1 side of each slice of bread.

Place 1 of the slices, margarine side down, layer the bacon, tomato and cheese on the dry side.

Place 1 of the slices, margarine side up, on top of the ham and cheese.
Place on a hot griddle.

When the bottom is golden in color, carefully flip it over and press it gently with a spatula.

Cook until the bottom is golden and cheese has melted. remove it from the
Old March 30, 2012   #79
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Ok....this is a tweak on the usual. You can do this as a sandwich - I'd recommend some kind of crusty bread of your choice for the bread - toast it or not - your choice. I personally think that the number of servings could be much higher from this recipe. You many have to adjust downward if you have less people. However if you like a huge steak, go for it! I'd play around with what tomatoes you use....and possibly whether you'd use other than cherry size.

Zana

Grilled BLT Double-Cut Strip Steak

Whether you have a warm spring evening that allows for outdoor grilling or a lingering winter’s night that requires the kitchen, this grilled BLT strip steak is perfect for dinner tonight. The red wine, bacon and mushroom sauce promises that no matter how you prepare it, the tender meat will be juicy and flavorful.

I like these steaks best when they are grilled outdoors over hickory wood, but they also can be cooked indoors. Steaks on the bone are much more flavorful than boneless, plus you have the bones to nibble on afterward. The red wine, bacon, and mushroom sauce is delicious, but the steaks are also good with a pat of maitre d'hotel butter melted on top.
Bistro Laurent Tourondel by Laurent Tourondel and Michele Scicolone/Wiley, 2008.

Ingredients
2 bottles (75 milliliters each) hearty, full-bodied red wine
8 ounces applewood-smoked bacon, cut into 1/2-inch strips (about 2 cups)
2 cups 1/2-inch dice Vidalia onions
2 cups quartered button mushrooms
2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup watercress, tough stems removed
1 cup fresh parsley leaves, roughly chopped
Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3 bone-in strip steaks, 32 ounces each, about 3 inches thick

Yield: 6 Servings

Directions

MAKE THE SAUCE In a medium saucepan, simmer the wine over medium heat for 25 to 30 minutes, or until it is reduced to 2 cups.

In a large skillet, sauté the bacon over medium heat until the fat has been rendered, 5 to 6 minutes. Spoon off the fat. Add the onions, mushrooms, and garlic and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft.

Add the wine mixture to the bacon and slowly whisk in 8 tablespoons of the butter 1 tablespoon at a time, until the sauce is emulsified. Remove from the heat. Add the tomatoes, watercress, and parsley. Cover and keep warm. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary.

COOK THE STEAKS Preheat a barbecue or stovetop grill to medium heat.

Spread the steaks with the remaining 4 tablespoons of the butter. Season them on both sides with salt and pepper. Place the steaks on the grill and cook until browned, about 3 minutes. Turn the steaks and brown on the other side, about 3 minutes more. Transfer the steaks to a cooler part of the grill. Cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes more for medium-rare. To check for doneness, make a small cut near the bone or better yet, insert an instant-read thermometer in the thickest part of the meat. The temperature reading should be 130 to 135°F for medium-rare. See the chart on page 9 for other cooking temperatures.

TO SERVE Place the steaks on a cutting board and cover loosely with foil. Let rest for 10 to 12 minutes.

Carve the meat off the bone. Cut the steaks crosswise into 1-inch slices. Arrange the slices on 6 plates and serve the sauce on the side. Serve immediately.
notes

CHEF’S TIP: You can also cook these steaks on your home stove with a combination method that involves pan searing and roasting. To do this, preheat a large skillet, preferably cast iron, until it is very hot and coat the bottom lightly with oil. Add the steaks and cook them until nicely browned, about 2 minutes on each side. Then transfer the steaks to a preheated 350°F oven and cook them until rare to medium-rare, 17 to 20 minutes.

Read More http://www.ivillage.com/grilled-blt-...#ixzz1qbYITTp7
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bltstripstreak_0.jpg (84.5 KB, 55 views)
Old May 3, 2012   #80
TNplants1
Tomatovillian™

ever tried tomato gravy? It's delicious! My mother-in-law makes gravy and the part where we normally add fresh milk you add tomato juice. Its wonderful and makes the taste of hot crispy bacon and a good ole home made buttermilk biscuit.
We grow mass tomato plants- from big boys to better boys, hybrid, heirlooms and more. the orange,yellow and pinks are best for low acid choices.

tammy
http://www.tnnursery.net
TNplants1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012   #81
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Impossibly Easy BLT Pie

12 slices bacon, crisply cooked, crumbled
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese (4 oz)
1/2 cup Original Bisquick® mix
1/3 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
3/4 cup milk
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 eggs
2 tablespoons mayonnaise or salad dressing
1 cup shredded lettuce
6 thin slices tomato

1. Heat oven to 400°F. Spray 9-inch glass pie plate with cooking spray. Layer bacon and cheese in pie plate.

2. In medium bowl, stir Bisquick mix, 1/3 cup mayonnaise, the milk, pepper and eggs with wire whisk until blended. Pour into pie plate.

3. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until top is golden brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Spread 2 tablespoons mayonnaise over top of pie. Sprinkle with lettuce. Place tomato slices on lettuce.
Old May 12, 2012   #82
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

Mmmm I have to remember this one sounds sooo good!!

Craig
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012   #83
meatburner
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zana View Post
Impossibly Easy BLT Pie

12 slices bacon, crisply cooked, crumbled
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese (4 oz)
1/2 cup Original Bisquick® mix
1/3 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
3/4 cup milk
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 eggs
2 tablespoons mayonnaise or salad dressing
1 cup shredded lettuce
6 thin slices tomato

1. Heat oven to 400°F. Spray 9-inch glass pie plate with cooking spray. Layer bacon and cheese in pie plate.

2. In medium bowl, stir Bisquick mix, 1/3 cup mayonnaise, the milk, pepper and eggs with wire whisk until blended. Pour into pie plate.

3. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until top is golden brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Spread 2 tablespoons mayonnaise over top of pie. Sprinkle with lettuce. Place tomato slices on lettuce.
Oh my! I have to try that!!
Old May 18, 2012   #84
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Let us all know what you think.
Old May 19, 2012   #85
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

I already know what I think about this!!! It's HEAVEN!!!!!!!

Julia

Last edited by PA_Julia; May 19, 2012 at 03:25 PM.
PA_Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2013   #86
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

A lot of mouth-watering ideas on this thread.. The only thing that I would add to it is that
I prefer to use Kosovo tomatoes in that they have a great tomato taste and have little in
the way of seed or gel making it a much less messy sammy than most.We set aside the
Kosovos specifically for the BLT construction parties.
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2013   #87
Gavriil
Tomatovillian™

I don't make'em I just eat'em, who ever said smothered in Helman's Mayo was right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bacon, Onion, Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich.jpg (209.1 KB, 62 views)
Gavriil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2013   #88
luke
Tomatovillian™

Late to the game, so I just jumped to the last page. I'll give you a particular take on the tomato sandwich that my boy and I have enjoyed for the past several years (he is now 8), and there are a couple of keys steps.

1. White bread

2. Mayonaisse (we prefer Duke's)

3. One thick slice of tomato (slightly larger than the bread)

4. Salt the tomato

5. Several pieces of bacon

6. Consume

7. REPEAT

8. REPEAT

9. REPEAT

The key steps are in bold and caps. At my house, we're pretty laid back, but we get serious about tomato sandwiches, fried okra, fried squash, venison, BBQ and crawfish boils.
luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2013   #89
NorthTom
Tomatovillian™

Great read, just thought Id add my own little OCD habit when making BLTs, which is to basketweave the bacon as illustrated here http://republicofbacon.com/2011/02/0...t-recipe-ever/

Last edited by NorthTom; March 29, 2013 at 03:55 AM.
NorthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2013   #90
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

No doubt the best way to test taste a slicer is a BLT .. after that cold cuts like turkey or ham with cheese mayo lettuce.. next to that a fresh barbecue burgers with mayo lettuce cheese too