Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old January 13, 2014   #31
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Yeah the SWD is a fairly new invader. Before we had no worms, and hardly any pest pressure. They are a tough one. I hope this cold winter set them back! If I see any in my area, I will probably net the raspberries. Stopping them with pesticides is tough. Still I will have to spray at first to make sure all are dead around the fruit before netting. Yes they have netting that will work, but what a pain it's going to be! So far I have not seen any either, but spotted in my county.

So Ted, how did the first season go? TX is not like raspberry country, you may be better off with blackberries. The Bababerry raspberry cultivar with grow in heat as long as shaded. Hard to find that one. I think Willis Nursery has it.
Here no problem in full sun. I have about 20 cultivars, red, purple, black, and yellow. Looking for a nice orange! A new primocane black raspberry was released this year. Niwot is the name. Hard to find. Expensive if you do! Henry Fields is selling them under the name Sweet Repeat. I'm a raspberry freak, so had to order one!
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2014   #32
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Gurneys is selling Sweet Repeat which they say is Nantahala, which I think is newly released and stands up to heat. $12.99 per cane. These are red rasberries.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2014   #33
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
Gurneys is selling Sweet Repeat which they say is Nantahala, which I think is newly released and stands up to heat. $12.99 per cane. These are red rasberries.
‘Nantahala’ Red Raspberry
Old January 13, 2014   #34
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Yes, it's kinda ironic as Gurney's and Henry Fields are both associated with Gardens Alive. So i guess the trademark can be interchanged???

I was talking about Niwot the first black primocane raspberry to be released to the public.
http://www.henryfields.com/product/S...spberry_plants

Look at the last line of the description. that is where they say it is the cultivar Niwot.

Pete Tallman developed it, and holds the patent.
http://ptallman.home.comcast.net/~pt..._fbbrPT2A4.htm

If you're interested in Nantahala buy it here. This place rocks!

3.25 FOR A BARE ROOT. You can buy one or one thousand. This is the coolest raspberry Nursery around. I have ordered from them and the plants were huge and were perfect!
https://indianaberry.com/products.php?cat=2

Last edited by drew51; January 13, 2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old January 13, 2014   #35
Hermitian
BANNED

I noticed in the article from UNC, the developers said: "‘Nantahala’ is recommended for the mountain regions of North Carolina and adjacent states." For example, some of their trials were in Mills River NC, which is USDA hardiness zone 8 with an annual snowfall of 9 inches. I don't think I'll try it in Vista!
Old January 13, 2014   #36
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I would agree, good catch, i saw that in the description on Indiana Berry Nursery site too. That Bababerry is one that works. Blackberries would work too. Some Aussie, or Asain Rubus plants that are very raspberry like would work too, but only seed is available. They're are wild too, like that black raspberry I mentioned in another thread "Mysore". Certainly not ideal for the backyard grower. I myself like rubus plants, i would probably try them. Not worth trying in my area, not hardy enough. An example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aussie-raspb...51141909379%26
Old January 13, 2014   #37
Hermitian
BANNED

Searching through the GRIN record for Rubus probus, I came across an historical record showing that in 1936 it was being cultivated in Puerto Rico!
Old January 13, 2014   #38
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
Yeah the SWD is a fairly new invader. Before we had no worms, and hardly any pest pressure. They are a tough one. I hope this cold winter set them back! If I see any in my area, I will probably net the raspberries. Stopping them with pesticides is tough. Still I will have to spray at first to make sure all are dead around the fruit before netting. Yes they have netting that will work, but what a pain it's going to be! So far I have not seen any either, but spotted in my county.

So Ted, how did the first season go? TX is not like raspberry country, you may be better off with blackberries. The Bababerry raspberry cultivar with grow in heat as long as shaded. Hard to find that one. I think Willis Nursery has it.
Here no problem in full sun. I have about 20 cultivars, red, purple, black, and yellow. Looking for a nice orange! A new primocane black raspberry was released this year. Niwot is the name. Hard to find. Expensive if you do! Henry Fields is selling them under the name Sweet Repeat. I'm a raspberry freak, so had to order one!
Four raspberries planted resulted in four dead raspberry plants. I have a wonderful son in law who is diligent with his weed whacker. Next time, I need to make him aware of where new plants have been placed. They were not doing well anyhow. The heat and drought would probably have caused their demise if the SIL didn't get them first. I plan on trying black berries instead. My new blueberry plants couldn't survive the heat either. My new fig plants are doing great.

Ted

Last edited by tedln; January 13, 2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old January 13, 2014   #39
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
... They were not doing well anyhow. ...
Feed them rose food -- and of course not the type with systemic pesticides.

Nice avatar.
Old January 25, 2014   #40
Hermitian
BANNED

Received 10 Rubus probus seeds from Australia today!

Old January 25, 2014   #41
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Awesome! Good luck wih them, you may have something worthwhile there, maybe not, but they don't cost much. I grow plants out every year, this year I will be doing two different Rubus species. One from Africa, and one from China. Plus some crosses I made. R. Probus is probably not good for my area. But that company has some other seeds that sound interesting. i have been thinking about getting some. I just have so many Rubus seeds going right now.
Old January 26, 2014   #42
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post

This is the only reason I mentioned the Gurneys Sweet Repeat, which, according to them is a red, heat resistant raspberry. I am not interested in it's attributes but simply pointing out Sweet Repeat cannot correctly be both red Nantahala and black Niwot.

Last edited by Sun City Linda; January 26, 2014 at 03:09 PM. Reason: correct placement
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2014   #43
Hermitian
BANNED

I have customers in Texas from USDA hardiness zones 7 through 9, and I noticed that Amarillo is in zone 6. So I would think there are plenty of locations in Texas to grow "standard chill" raspberries.

http://www.plantmaps.com/interactive...diness-map.php
Old January 26, 2014   #44
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
This is the only reason I mentioned the Gurneys Sweet Repeat, which, according to them is a red, heat resistant raspberry. I am not interested in it's attributes but simply pointing out Sweet Repeat cannot correctly be both red Nantahala and black Niwot
I'm not worried about Henry Field sending the wrong one. They do not sell Nantahala. If I don't get the right one, they will refund my money, or send the right one. The description of a black primocane fruiting raspberry is going to be hard to mix up since only one cultivar exists. And that is how Henry Fields describes it. They even call it Niwot. I will continue to call it Niwot myself, as that is the name by the breeder. Black raspberries look more like roses than red raspberries, so i should be able to tell when it arrives from the canes themselves. Black raspberries have thick thorns like roses do, and spaced far apart. Reds when they do have thorns are very unique looking skinny clusters of thorns very close to one another. Small hair like ends.
Sweet Repeat is just a marketing name niether Nantahala or Niwot is sweet repeat. Niether Gurneys nor Henry Fields developed either of these. They bought the right to rename, and they did. The catalog numbers are different so I'm not concerned.

Last edited by drew51; January 26, 2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old March 13, 2014   #45
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Lowes just received their first shipment of raspberries here in zone 5. I'd like to buy at least one and gradually get the raspberry patch going, even though the soil is still cold here. I have a bag of organic garden soil and I'll be layering it onto the sandy beach at my lakeside cabin. I have room for 3 bushes.

Has anyone grown Polana? Nourse lists it as an exclusive, and its one of the choices at Lowes. They also had Heritage, Polka, and one other (Bristol ?, or was it Prelude?). Should I dig through the display and fine one without any buds or keep it inside until the chance of snow is past?

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote