Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old September 13, 2013   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Pittting Plums

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?XVGRS 13 September 2013 Pitting Plums
It was necessary to remove the pits from 40 pounds of plums. After some thought, it was decided to try my cherry pit removal tool.This tool is available in the kitchen tool section of many stores. It was found this tool works just fine in removing plum pits. The jobs takes a bit of time but is efficient and practical. Pictures depict the process.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2013   #2
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

what do you do with all that plums? I have a treeload of them and wondering what to do.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2013   #3
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

That's very cool that the cherry pit remover works on plums, but it's too late for me! I just canned a ton of plums form our tree. They are very small, and I decided not to expend the effort to remove the pits, so I stewed some and canned others raw and whole. We love them for desert with ice cream or added to our morning oatmeal.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2013   #4
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Do you need to add any sugar before canning, Linda? I don't like added sugar, but not sure if it will keep without it. Has anyone tried freezing?
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2013   #5
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWestGardener View Post
what do you do with all that plums? I have a treeload of them and wondering what to do.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?KLQWU 13 September 2013 Juicing Plums
Forty pounds of plums were processed into 23 litres of juice. The plums were pitted, water added to cover, cooked until soft, blended into a slurry, strained through the food mill to remove some larger particles (probably not necessary), pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage.The end product is relatively sweet and most pleasant to drink. The plums were purchased since my trees are still immature.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote