Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old March 9, 2007   #1
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Default Preserving Parsley

Hi All,

I have tons of flat leaf parsley. I need to get it out because my tulips are growing in.

Is parsley worth preserving or should I just dump it? Also if it is worth keeping, then what is the best way to preserve it. I don't currently have a dehydrator so if I were to dry it, I would do so in the oven.

Thanks.

Angelique
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2007   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I would say eat all you can and dump the rest.
Some stuff is just too cheap to preserve.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2007   #3
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Parsley is worth preserving for year round use. Flavourful and mucho nutritious. Best way I've found is to chop it up, mix it with EVOO or water, and freeze mixture in ice cube trays. You can empty the trays later and bag the cubes for use in soups or whatever. Second best way is just to simply wash, dry and freeze stalks of parsley on a tray then bag them. Drying doesn't preserve parsley flavour, nutrition or texture adequately, IMHO.

Just my thoughts and experience.
Jennifer

Last edited by cdntomato; March 9, 2007 at 08:52 PM.
cdntomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2008   #4
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I, too, have a ton of Italian parsley and I'll be needing this space for spinach in a couple of weeks. It hasn't started to go to seed yet so I pulled out the dehydrator I bought last summer and decided to give it a whirl. I have all four trays full and it's up and running. I only use the dried stuff in soups and spaghetti sauce, etc., but it seems a shame to just waste it. I know I don't want to put the dried herbs in the coffee grinder until right before I'm ready to use them but can I keep this in the freezer until then? Just in a plain old freezer bag or is there a better idea? Thanks.
Old February 12, 2008   #5
KBSpokane
Tomatovillian™

When I'm in a hurry, I just pick and wash herbs like parsley & dill, etc.. I spread them out on cookie sheets or trays or flat boxes and just allow them to dry naturally indoors. I turn them a few times and when they're totally dry, I put them in labeled glass jars in my spice cupboard. Its easy to discard the stem, etc. when the herbs are dry. I also like freezing foods on cookie sheets and then putting them in ziploc freezer bags or plastic freezer boxes. Its so easy to take out whatever amount I need for future cooking. KBS
KBSpokane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2008   #6
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelique View Post
Hi All,

I have tons of flat leaf parsley. I need to get it out because my tulips are growing in.

Is parsley worth preserving or should I just dump it? Also if it is worth keeping, then what is the best way to preserve it. I don't currently have a dehydrator so if I were to dry it, I would do so in the oven.

Thanks.

Angelique
Don't bother wasting the energy to dry parsley! Cut the parsley. Take a few stems (I use about 1/2 inch thick bundles for herbs like parsley and cilantro, bigger for things like dill and cilantro that has gone to seed) put them inside a brown paper lunch bag* with the stems protruding a bit and tie a string or rubber band around the bag & stems. Tie the string to a hanger (you can line up a whole bunch of them) and just suspend the hanger somewhere that is dry & warm. In a week or two or three you have beautiful dried herbs.

*The paper bag is not actually necessary but it keeps the dust off and helps to preserve the color.

Shelley, you do not need to freeze the herbs once they are dried. I tend to use recycled jars with lids for my dried herbs rather than ziplocks. Less spillage, cats cannot help themselves. (Our kitties are nuts for almost any dried spice or herb.)
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2008   #7
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, all, for the replies. I've been stuck here in the house since Friday with two sick kids and I'm bored. The parsley had to come out anyway so my fun for today was trying out the dehydrator. Now I'm eyeballinging this bag of apples on the counter. If I'd been able to go out and buy a bunch of ice cubes trays, I'd have probably done the freezer method, but that just isn't an option right now because of the kids' fevers. I've always read the Italian parsley is better for drying than the curly. At least I have that going for me. I don't know about this time of year but May-October there's no way I could dry anything outside. It's just too darn humid. Thanks again for the info!
Old May 15, 2008   #8
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

just saw this so I thought I'd mention what I do - pick, rinse and rinse again. Lay out on kitchen towel to absorb some of the water, pat with another towel. Use quart ziplock bags and kinda flatten as you it in the bag. Add a folded paper towel to absorb moisture - freeze. I just take out of the bag and snip with kitchen scissors. Still bright parsley green and wonderful in soups, etc. Piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008   #9
salix
Tomatovillian™

I use the very same method as Piegirl. And for a mid-winter treat, make parsley pesto (parsley, garlic, olive oil, toasted walnuts and feta cheese) and freeze in small containers.
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2008   #10
twinks
Tomatovillian™

I made parsley pesto for the first time this year (parsley, garlic, olive oil, parmesan - lots!) and froze them in ice cube trays. They made a nice change from basil pesto. I'm going to try your version next year, Salix - I like the idea of walnuts and feta.

I also freeze whole stalks of parsley either in a bag or plastic container. Never did like dried herbs except sage maybe or thyme if pushed.
twinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2008   #11
babylark
Tomatovillian™

I just tried Parsley Pesto for the first time today and boy I was amazed! It's really great! I didn't think it would be that great, cause I thought it would be too strong, but it wasn't and I'm glad I tried it.
Old November 5, 2008   #12
maricybele
Tomatovillian™

I moved my parsley to the "back pasture" An area of soil by the compost that I take my plants to when they outgrow my areas, They have survived there for 2 seasons now. Flat leave and regular. The brocolli has also surpised me and is going on it's 2nd winter as well as the swiss chard.
maricybele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2009   #13
maricybele
Tomatovillian™

I have had luck moving it to another area. I have a bed called the pasture which is near the compost pile.
The parsleys going on 3 years now, still going strong so I haven't put it in the compost yet.
maricybele is offline   Reply With Quote