Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 3, 2016   #61
charley
Tomatovillian™

on the other had cherokee green was a mega producing machine with awesome sweet and spicy flavor.i just dont know if it can be beat.so im trying some new greens this year pit viper ,o"sena green,malakhitovaya shkatulka,cherokee lime ,cherokee lime stripes,and cherokee green all in a row.i caint wait to see who wins.but ya know worth what does bad for me might be your best tasting thing ever there are so many different variables that come into effect.ive noticed alot of people up north like argg and alot of people in the south like cherokee green.but there is always an exception to the rule

Last edited by charley; February 3, 2016 at 01:39 PM.
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2016   #62
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Okay so first off I am well aware that these two are NOT the same tomato, lest anyone think I am saying that they are. Secondly, I will be growing whichever in a container.

Girl Girl's Weird Thing
Large Barred Boar

My main focus this year is dwarf varieties.......so I am narrowing down on others.

Thanks, any and all advice appreciated!
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2016   #63
charline
Tomatovillian™

I got orange minsk and orange minsk heart
is there any difference in taste?
if not I will grow the heart as I love hearts...
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2016   #64
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

I will be growing Barry's Crazy Cherry vs Ildi this year, from the pictures I have seen, they look very similar, I'm hoping to find out which one tastes better, and produces more.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2016   #65
charline
Tomatovillian™

I love Barrys and I didnt care much for Ildi when I had it some years ago. But never had (and never will) them side by side
Old February 8, 2016   #66
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by charline View Post
I got orange minsk and orange minsk heart
is there any difference in taste?
if not I will grow the heart as I love hearts...
I haven't seen any difference in taste, and have grown both several times here at home,but like you I too love hearts so given a choice that's what I go for.

Someone has sent me seeds that I hope will turn out to be an Omar's Lebanese heart, and I sure hope it does.

Pretty soon I'm going to have to ask for some volunteers to help growout some varieties for me,will do in the 2 cents forum, since two of my regular seed producers lost most of their plants last summer to weather and plan on growing as many of them again as they can,

Which means I have to go back through the bag that has the envelopes with those seeds to see how many I can find for them.

Carolyn
Old February 8, 2016   #67
charline
Tomatovillian™

thank you Carolyn, I will grow the heart
Old February 8, 2016   #68
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Thinking of growing Noire de crimee versus BKX this season. Looking forward to tasting them both. I know I love black tomatoes in general... so I don't think one can go wrong with neither of them.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2016   #69
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Default The Versus Thread

I want to try a GWR cherry this season.
How about Green Doctors Frosted vs. Verde Claro?

And for a full-sized indeterminate GWR, how about Green Giant vs. Malachite Box?

Tried Cherokee Green last year and it was a disease magnet. It got everything even as its neighboring plants did well. Even the stems got covered with grey mold.
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2016   #70
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian View Post
Okay so first off I am well aware that these two are NOT the same tomato, lest anyone think I am saying that they are. Secondly, I will be growing whichever in a container.

Girl Girl's Weird Thing
Large Barred Boar

My main focus this year is dwarf varieties.......so I am narrowing down on others.

Thanks, any and all advice appreciated!

It's my guess that 100, or so, T'villians will be trialing GGWT this year. If you don't try it, you'll likely be left out of the loop on a long discussion thread.

I couldn't tell you if LBB would have a thread.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2016   #71
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Manhattan View Post
I want to try a GWR cherry this season.
How about Green Doctors Frosted vs. Verde Claro?

And for a full-sized indeterminate GWR, how about Green Giant vs. Malachite Box?

Tried Cherokee Green last year and it was a disease magnet. It got everything even as its neighboring plants did well. Even the stems got covered with grey mold.
While I do like Green Doctors, whether the clear epidermis one called Green Doctors Frosted or the yellow epidermis one called Green Doctors, and have a vested interest in Green Doctors since it was a mutation of the variety Dr. Carolyn, I much prefer Verde Claro bred by TomWagner and have been offering it in several seed offers here.

And please note that if you grow more than one plant of either one that you may get the clear epi one on one plant and the yellow epi one on another plant, and that b'c the epi color keeps switching back and forth

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Green_Doctors

Green Giant vs MalachiteBox,I preferthelatter.

Cherokee Green is always one of the top 5 GWripes for me.

There's one GWR that not many folks know about or grow which is this one

Tania doesn't list it but it's called Delano Green Ripe and was acquired by a long time SSE friend of mine from someone I think in TN and Neil has grown thousands of varieties and thinks that this one is THE best he's ever tasted.

I just did a search here and found I said I was going to send it to someone so perhaps I still have seeds for it and if so will offer it again in my seed offer

Carolyn
Old February 9, 2016   #72
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, Carolyn!

I think I'll try Green Giant (as it's PL), and Verde Claro as I can order both from Daryl; he doesn't have Malachite Box listed.

The Delano's Green Ripe sounds fun for a 'next year' grow out project if seeds were available.

Still waffling between E of E and Jaune Flamme.. You recommend both in your book. May have to flip a coin on this,

Am having a great time choosing and comparing.

Thanks again for your reply!
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2016   #73
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
It's my guess that 100, or so, T'villians will be trialing GGWT this year. If you don't try it, you'll likely be left out of the loop on a long discussion thread.
Thanks to you Gary I am saved!

GGWT was included in my MMMM package. Now I can join the 100's of others.
Old February 10, 2016   #74
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I trialed Big Beef and Goliath side by side for three years and 2 out of 3 years the BB dominated in both production and taste and one year Goliath did better in production but I still thought the Big Beef was a better tasting tomato.

I also grew Spudakee and Cherokee Purple side by side for a few years and found Spudakee was so much more productive in my garden. Although it is a great tomato I found the inconsistent production of CP too frustrating so I no longer grow it; but Spudakee usually has several spots in my garden each year.

I also grow Brandywine Sudduth's and Brandywine Cowlick's side by side every year and it is still a toss up so I continue. One year one will be slightly better in either production or flavor and the next year they swap so since I love them both I guess I'll just continue to grow both every year til I am unable to garden.

Indian Stripe and Indian Stripe PL. Usually ISPL is more productive but IS usually has larger tomatoes. Will continue to grow both cause I never know which one will do better on any given year.

Worth I think you will absolutely love Paul Robeson. I only grew it two years because it was so much more susceptible to fusarium than Indian Stripe but it did produce some of the most amazing tasting black tomatoes I have ever eaten. It just didn't hold up well enough nor was it dependable enough for my gardening conditions. I replaced it with JD's Special C Tex and although the tomatoes aren't as pretty it is much more productive and usually just as tasty.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2016   #75
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Worth hasn't had a Paul Robeson? That is distressing news.

I find Tasmanian Chocolate from the Dwarf Project to be similar in flavor, showing its parentage very well.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote