Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 14, 2015   #31
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I really like the Pro Hex seed trays. We bought ours back in late 2014 from Wally World. I also bought the Jiffy Seed starting mix. I'm going to mix it with a different brand of Pro Mix that I have left from 2014.

This past February, When potting up - I used MG Organic mix for the first two hundred or so plants. When I planted in solo cups for the fall garden - I had to use the MG regular mix - the one with the flavor berries in it... http://www.miraclegro.com/smg/goprod...soil/prod70332 I liked how dark green they grew in the who-knows-what's-in-it MG mix.

What are you going to use to pot up in 2016?
I have no idea, I used to use the MG organic potting soil but I dont see it on line anymore I bought it at Home Depot.
I might just make up my own mix because I dont want to buy a bunch of sticks I have to filter out.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2015   #32
KC.Sun
Tomatovillian™

Loving your pictures. I think Home Depot replaced MG organic potting soil with Natures Care, also by MG.

I've seen MG organic potting mix around but at small stores. I used both types last season. Liked Natures Care more if you choose to try it.

Currently wishing summer is here, especially with your pictures. Snow is coming down hard.
KC.Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2015   #33
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I make my own starter and potting mix;

--- 3 parts pine bark fine ( < = 3/8")
--- 1 PART PEAT MOSS
---- 1 part perlite
---- 1 part FloorDry ( from O Reilly)
You can violate above to some degree. But that is what and how I do it. I might skip the peat moss if I have pine bark mulch (crushed bark)
Have to add some Dolomitic lime ( Ca and raise pH a bit). For potting, not starter.
Since it has no nutrients, you have to start feeding the seedlings with 1/3 strength liquid fert . To the potting mix I add MG time release granular formulated for tomatoes and peppers.
Pro Mix and Faffard are choice commercial mixes. BUT expensiiive.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2015   #34
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC.Sun View Post
Loving your pictures. I think Home Depot replaced MG organic potting soil with Natures Care, also by MG.

I've seen MG organic potting mix around but at small stores. I used both types last season. Liked Natures Care more if you choose to try it.

Currently wishing summer is here, especially with your pictures. Snow is coming down hard.
I just stopped by Home Depot and looked at the MG Natures Care raised bed soil and the potting soil.
At the store they both looked the same to me except the potting soil was more expensive.
I came home and looked at the ingredients on line and they are just about the same ore or less.
The raised bed soil is $7 something for a big bag.
The potting soil is $5 something for a smaller bag.
Me thinks.
I snipped the label off the PDF and put it here whit the computer snipping tool.
Raised bed soil
MG Raised Bed Soil..JPG
Potting soil.
MG Potting Soil.JPG
Old December 14, 2015   #35
KC.Sun
Tomatovillian™

From comparing the 2 types of potting mix I mentioned.

Natures care organic potting mix had a finer consistency.
MG organic potting mix had large bark chunks in it that I didn't like.

MG organic potting mix is $1 cheaper where I live.

I think overall, the ingredients inside always looks similar on the packaging. I grow in Earthboxes and was always told to use the potting mix instead of potting soil. Was told not to use potting soil because it contains dirt and causes wicking problems.

I haven't experimented with the potting soil yet, but assume it's similar with a little bit of dirt.

That raised bed soil looks interesting. Maybe I will experiment with it next year.

Are you going to experiment with it? Wonder if the price difference is because the potting mix has "water conserve" noted.
KC.Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2015   #36
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC.Sun View Post
From comparing the 2 types of potting mix I mentioned.

Natures care organic potting mix had a finer consistency.
MG organic potting mix had large bark chunks in it that I didn't like.

MG organic potting mix is $1 cheaper where I live.

I think overall, the ingredients inside always looks similar on the packaging. I grow in Earthboxes and was always told to use the potting mix instead of potting soil. Was told not to use potting soil because it contains dirt and causes wicking problems.

I haven't experimented with the potting soil yet, but assume it's similar with a little bit of dirt.

That raised bed soil looks interesting. Maybe I will experiment with it next year.

Are you going to experiment with it? Wonder if the price difference is because the potting mix has "water conserve" noted.
I found bags of both tore open and looked,
If I cant find a bag tore open I will do it myself.
Yes I am going to buy the organic raised bed soil.
And maybe add some vermiculite.

The potting soil didn't look like it had any dirt in it at all and neither did the raised bed soil.
If it did it wasn't much.
I'm going to have to buy the spare peat pots on line they are half as much as they are at the store.

Wow I just found out something.
If you buy the individual peat pots you can get 1260 for $130.
BUT if you buy the strips of 6 stuck together you can buy the same amount for $110.

Strips.
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p.../jiffy-strips/
Pots.
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...ffy-peat-pots/

This is at the Greenhouse Mega Store.

Worth
Old December 14, 2015   #37
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Guys I couldn't be more happy with the new lights.
There is no stretching as of yet and I don't think there will be from my past experience.
The first picture is at 5PM 12/14/2015..
The second picture taken at the same time is of an Indian Stripe just starting to grow it's first set of true leaves.
Worth
IMG_20151214_2311.jpg

IMG_20151214_34397.jpg
Old December 14, 2015   #38
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Since these will be and indoor small seedlings potting, I would use SOIL LESS mix ( No compost ...) that has no odor/smell/ no organic ferts. You want to have a clean environment w/ no bacterial /microbial activities.
It would have been a different case it it were involved large outdoor potting.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2015   #39
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Since these will be and indoor small seedlings potting, I would use SOIL LESS mix ( No compost ...) that has no odor/smell/ no organic ferts. You want to have a clean environment w/ no bacterial /microbial activities.
It would have been a different case it it were involved large outdoor potting.

Gardeneer
All I ever use is organic potting mix for plants never had a problem.
Worth
Old December 15, 2015   #40
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

strong looking youngins. Those hex are mighty convenient. You can probably keep them in there for quite some time.

I've used the kellogg raised bed and potting mix (Pink yellow stripes, 3 cu ft under 10), mixed in peat moss or coco coir, added a bit more perlite and more organic matter and it's worked out great for containers.

It definitely has wood chips, not that bad though. Way better than the generic potting mix in the white and green packaging.

I'm sure you'll find the right mix.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2015   #41
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Hi Worth,

If you have room for one more tomato, any of the larger San Marzanos might be something to consider. In my area they are highly productive all season. They are unrivaled as sauce tomatoes, canners, or nice firm additions when you prepare them in a dish.

These guys are tricky though. My first growing year was a ber disaster, but I've since gotten better at consistant watering or just plain lucky. Growing the larger varieties helps too.

Did you mention you want orange tomatoes and peppers for salsa?

- Lisa

PM me your address for seeds if you need some
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2015   #42
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1
Guys I couldn't be more happy with the new lights.
There is no stretching as of yet and I don't think there will be from my past experience.
The results are impressive, you certainly have a lot of wattage (see earlier posts) but you managed to place your lamps at nice intervals to get an even lighting everywhere. Only the outer seedlings are very slightly bending towards the lights and when we notice the thickness and dark color of the stems it means they are getting plenty of light.
I'm perfectly aware of going offline but a few words about your solutions for heating the flats would be welcome...
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2015   #43
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The first picture is of two Azoychka plants.
The one on the right got a few squirts of Miracle Grow regular plant food at a ratio of 1/8 teaspoon to 1 pint of filtered water.
The one on the left will not get it for a few days.
Let's see what happens.
The next picture is of an Aji Amarillo sprouting.
The last picture is of a mystery pepper I rescued out of the yard.
I put it in the seed starting soil and gave it a shot of Ladybug Organic liquid plant food.
The leaves were dried up and yellow.
It is coming along nicely and is beginning to grow and greened up.
Worth
IMG_20151215_32154.jpg

IMG_20151215_44843.jpg

IMG_20151215_5458.jpg

Here is the pepper from the other day.

Last edited by Worth1; December 15, 2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old December 15, 2015   #44
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
strong looking youngins. Those hex are mighty convenient. You can probably keep them in there for quite some time.

I've used the kellogg raised bed and potting mix (Pink yellow stripes, 3 cu ft under 10), mixed in peat moss or coco coir, added a bit more perlite and more organic matter and it's worked out great for containers.

It definitely has wood chips, not that bad though. Way better than the generic potting mix in the white and green packaging.

I'm sure you'll find the right mix.
I am going to use the Organic raised bed mix in the small plant containers, I wish I would have taken a pictuer of it but I left my phone in the truck.
By the time I'm ready to pot them up they will be spending most of their time outside and only come in during the coldest of weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Hi Worth,

If you have room for one more tomato, any of the larger San Marzanos might be something to consider. In my area they are highly productive all season. They are unrivaled as sauce tomatoes, canners, or nice firm additions when you prepare them in a dish.

These guys are tricky though. My first growing year was a ber disaster, but I've since gotten better at consistant watering or just plain lucky. Growing the larger varieties helps too.

Did you mention you want orange tomatoes and peppers for salsa?

- Lisa

PM me your address for seeds if you need some
Lisa thanks for the offer.
I have several ornes and yellow tomatoes and peppers growing for the salsa.
I also have a pilke of San Marzano seeds I saved from tomatoes I grew last year.
I grew three plants and they did great But as the summer went along I was kicking myself for not growing something else.
I got to taste all aspects of there flavor from too wet soil to dry soil and they just didn't do it for me.
I tomato more suited for use as a paste or drying as which it is anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulac View Post
The results are impressive, you certainly have a lot of wattage (see earlier posts) but you managed to place your lamps at nice intervals to get an even lighting everywhere. Only the outer seedlings are very slightly bending towards the lights and when we notice the thickness and dark color of the stems it means they are getting plenty of light.
I'm perfectly aware of going offline but a few words about your solutions for heating the flats would be welcome...
All I do is depend on the lights for temperature no heat mats or anything.
I keep a thermometer in the soil and it fluctuates from 65F/18C or a little lower at night and 75F/23C or so in the day.

I can tell this is slowing the sprouting down somewhat but I cant stand a hot house.
The benefit is a stockier plant.
I could use and electric blanket under the trays with a sheet of plastic over it and adjust the temps this way.
Electric blankets dont get very hot if they are on low.
But it isn't going to happen because I dont want any chance of a fire.

Worth
Old December 15, 2015   #45
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

10: PM 12/15/2015.
Noticeable difference.
In 24 hours.

Worth
12/14/2015

12/15/2015
IMG_20151215_52584.jpg

Last edited by Worth1; December 15, 2015 at 11:44 PM.