Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 29, 2014   #31
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Hi Gary,
Last year I had many packets of cherry and early and sent them in to those categories. Trouble is, because I designated those as belonging to those categories, thats what I got back, but didn't really need. Can I send 10 pack of something to one or 2 categories but request from a different one? Also, I have many types of seeds that I have enough for 3 or 4 of each, but not 10. I guess those should be sent as bonuses, right? Do the amount of bonuses you send in get matched with bonuses back?
Sorry if this is alot of questions, but I think many of us would like to know these things.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2014   #32
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Hi Gary,
Last year I had many packets of cherry and early and sent them in to those categories. Trouble is, because I designated those as belonging to those categories, thats what I got back, but didn't really need. Can I send 10 pack of something to one or 2 categories but request from a different one? Also, I have many types of seeds that I have enough for 3 or 4 of each, but not 10. I guess those should be sent as bonuses, right? Do the amount of bonuses you send in get matched with bonuses back?
Sorry if this is alot of questions, but I think many of us would like to know these things.
Sending in 10 packs to a category and wanting varieties from another category would likely be sand in my gears for organization, so I think I'll have to keep send ins/requests to one category.

However, getting the categories you want would still be fairly easy if there are lots of bonuses, which has been a big part of the swaps in the past.

Just put on your Wish List the categories you're looking for. If a single variety is at the top of your list that's my priority. If a category is at the top that would be my priority. I can't promise you'd get 10 different varieties from a category, since I don't know what bonuses will be. I also can't promise you won't get 20 different varieties from a category.

Last year a few wish lists were just categories, instead of individual varieties. As an example, hearts and beefsteaks.

The general rule I've had for bonuses is that they are evenly distributed back to all participants. The even distribution has been about 20 extra back no matter if 0 bonuses or 100 bonuses were sent in. If someone sent in an enormous amount of bonuses, I suppose something could be worked out to please them in return. Last year, I had one participant send in 24 10-packs joining each category and then some, along with 70 bonus packs. They wanted 310 different varieties back, the swap could handle it, so they got it.

The answers to questions are going to be flexible. You're required to come up with part of the answers, along with me.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2014   #33
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
I'm very excited to see a pepper swap!
I'm semi-excited to see two people excited. You'll need more.
Old August 29, 2014   #34
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyAdele View Post
Can I ask a couple of questions here?

1. I have a wish-list of 10, and I would like to participate in 4 categories in addition. Do the items from my wishlist HAVE to fit into the categories I have chosen?

2. Should I send in seed OTHER than my chosen categories if they are on the wanted lists? And how many packs should I send in?

3. I understand that when people send more seed in, these are spread between participants as bonuses. How do I package 'bonuses'? I have a few varieties I have saved 500 seed or more from, and I would like to share. So if I sent in 25 packs of 10, is that okay? Or does it have to be enough for everyone?

4. Can I use the small plastic see-through zip top baggies (2x1 inch) with a piece of paper inside specifying the variety, description and date collected? Or are coin envelopes preferred?

5. So just to make sure I understand the swap correctly - I should send in
A) 10-packs of seed from any requested variety that I have grown
B) 10 packs of seed of the same variety for each category that I want to participate in, labeled with the seed name
C) Any extra seed I want to share which will be distributed as 'bonuses'.
D) A piece of paper with my wishlist, the varieties I am sending in and what they are for

Is that correct?
1. Wish List varieties and categories are separate parts of the swap. So, the answer is no.

2. Wish Lists are posted in the Wanted Varieties forum under the same title, as here. I will try to group all the lists together and put them in alphabetical order about once a week if I have time. If you see something listed like this...

Margaret Curtain (10)

...that means 10 people have it on their wish lists and Im looking for 10 packs to come in. So far, MC is on many wish lists I've seen.

3. PM the varieties as a starter. If it's very common like Cherokee Purple, that many seeds/packs wouldn't be needed.

4. Plastic zip bags is all I use. I do like the 2 x 3's, but any size is fine.

5. I'll answer this when I have time, which will be after Labor Day.
Old August 29, 2014   #35
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Tormato for answering questions. I will post my wishlists and PM you what I intend to send in for your feedback. I have only been around these forums for a year, so I don't really know the popularity of various tomatos.
LindyAdele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2014   #36
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Tormato - I'm 'in' for the swap for both tomatoes and peppers. With our colder wet weather, we're just starting to get ripe tomatoes. Am fermenting seeds little by little.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2014   #37
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

Three.
tnpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2014   #38
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Peppers would be really neat. I'm excited, so 4!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2014   #39
natural
Tomatovillian™

"Every time I think I’m out, they pull me back in".

Peppers too!? Yep, I'm in.
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2014   #40
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

'Natural' + 'Guruofgardens' = SIX; if my math checks out.
tnpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2014   #41
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

I only have poblano and chinese 5 color pepper seeds, but I would love to swap for peppers too! Can we just make it a category also?
Old August 29, 2014   #42
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I have Banana, Jalapeno type M, TAM Jalapeno Mild, Serrano, Tabasco, and Anaheim peppers growing that I could collect and donate seeds from.

About the ten packs of tomato seeds, can they be 5 packs of one type seed and 5 packs of another type seeds?

The reason why I am asking the above question is because the Wal-Mart where my wife works got a shipment of way too many tomato seeds of two varieties. They are both old time heirlooms, "Large Red Cherry and Rutgers." I am growing both for my first time, and so far, in this fall garden, those plants look great. Both had 100% germination rates. They are the tallest/fullest plants of the 7 varieties I am growing in the fall garden. They are, "$0.20 American Seeds", but that is what I can afford. I just started drying Porter seeds today and picked more to start fermenting tomorrow.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; August 30, 2014 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Added Info
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2014   #43
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

ALittleSalt- what categories do you want to participate in most? I have enough seed in some of them to send in 10 packs on your behalf, and you woyuld get the swap seeds, not me? I could easily do that for the cherries, blacks, striped, sweet or maybe pink or beefsteak category?
Old August 30, 2014   #44
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

I hope I have something on people wish lists, really liked last year swap, got some varieties did not know I wanted.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2014   #45
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyAdele View Post
ALittleSalt- what categories do you want to participate in most? I have enough seed in some of them to send in 10 packs on your behalf, and you woyuld get the swap seeds, not me? I could easily do that for the cherries, blacks, striped, sweet or maybe pink or beefsteak category?
I read your reply and sat down and thought about it for a while. At first, my usual thought process of denying help from others went through my mind, but then again, I joined this site to learn from all you guys.

Your offer is kind and I appreciate it more than words can say.

As for what kind of tomato categories, um, they are all new to me. The loved ones I grow tomatoes for all like cherry tomatoes most. Cherry tomatoes is my choice of category.

I am having an extreme pain day today. I have Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy type 2. It has taken me an hour to reply. Thank you for your offer.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote