Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 18, 2012   #1
hmacdona
Tomatovillian™

Default Come Join Us! 5th Annual Tomato & Pepper Seed Exchange

Quote:
THIS SWAP IS NOW CLOSED TO NEW PARTICIPANTS.
Quote:

We have 126 participating in this exchange !!!

Hi everyone,

I am hosting another Tomato and Pepper seed swap that will include members from a few different forums.

Here are the guidelines we will follow for this swap. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU READ ALL OF THE GUIDELINES.

1) Seeds must be received by me no later than November 15th, so for those that live in Canada, you must mail your envelope no later than November 1st.. For those in the US and overseas, you need to allow at least 3 weeks mailing time, so please have seeds in the mail by October 20th.

You can send "named varieties" of tomatoes or peppers (or both). Do not include mixes or seeds labeled "granny's mystery mix" or unnamed bell peppers or anything like that, whether they be commercial pkts of mixed seed, or otherwise. I cannot, in fairness, send mixed or unknown packs of seed back to people that followed the instructions and only sent in "named varieties". If I receive anything like this, the seeds will be returned to you unless they are clearly marked as bonuses.

If you are sending hybrid seeds to exchange, only F1 seeds from a commercial source are acceptable. Your source for the F1 seeds must be clearly labeled on the envelope/seed packet. Do not send in seeds you have collected from a hybrid plant. They will not grow true to the original parent plant. If you are unsure if the seed you have collected is from a hybrid, please do your research online before mailing in your seeds.

2) A minimum of 10 seeds per packet. A maximum of 5 packets of the same seed. An overall maximum of 40 packets per person. Please stick to this limit. You must put your seeds into individual packets. I will not do this for you. Every year there are a few people that push past this limit and include a note that says "I hope you don't mind....and by the way - I'd like only rare seeds in return....LOL. Sorry folks, that won't work. It's just not fair to everyone else. Bonus tomato & pepper seeds are of course, more than welcome. I just asked that bonuses be clearly labeled as such.

Please ensure seed packets are clearly marked with the name, and whether they are heirloom, OP (Open Pollinated), or F1 hybrid seeds. If you are sending pepper seeds, it would help me a great deal with sorting if you could indicate on the packages if the peppers are sweet or hot as many individuals in the last swap had clear preferences. If seeds are from a commercial source, please note that as well.

3) If you send tomato seeds, you will receive tomato seeds in return. The same idea for peppers, unless you include a note indicating you want something different in return. You can also send in tomato seeds and ask for pepper seeds in return or visa versa, or any combination. I fully expect a large variety and volume of seed types to be able to accommodate this.

4) Please include a list of what you are sending, your wish list and if there are any seeds you do not want to receive. It is very important to take the time to write out a list of what you are sending, otherwise I have to do it for you and I do not have time for that. If you are only interested in heirloom or OP, please tell me that as well. I will try my best to accommodate your wish list, but there are no guarantees of course. The variety will be completely dependent on what is sent in. In last year's swap, we were able to fill many items on people's wish lists so please take the time to prepare one - it will be worth your while. I do my very best to handle this swap fairly. I will post a separate note shortly listing the highly sought after varieties from last years swap, in case this helps those that are wondering what to send in.

5) You will need to mail your seeds inside a bubble envelope with a return label inside, along with the correct amount of return postage. I will reuse your original bubble envelope to send your surprise seeds back to you. Return postage rates are as follows:

* If you live in Canada - $1.29 return postage stamps (Canadian Stamps only)
* If you live in the US - $2.21 (CAD or US$) (includes tax)
* If you live outside Canada and US - $4.41 (CAD or US$) (includes tax)

All postage rates can be verified on the Canada Post website. For those outside of Canada, you will need to send enough funds to pay for return postage. You can either send concealed cash in the envelope or you could submit payment for postage via Paypal. Please DO NOT send stamps from your country. They will not work here in Canada

It's important that you send a regular bubble envelope and not the heavy cardboard insulated type. Weight restriction in this price category is 100g. Please be sure to send a big enough envelope. I would recommend a minimum of 4 x 6 so thickness stays within Canada Post letter mail requirements.

6) If you change your mind after registering, and no longer wish to participate, PLEASE notify me immediately so we do not delay the swap waiting for your seeds to arrive. This will also save me a great deal of time trying to follow up and track people down.

7) I will email/message you privately with my mailing address once you have posted here to sign up for this swap.

Any questions. Please let me know. Let's have fun exchanging seeds !!!!

Thanks...Heather

Please note - I will be out of town on business November 18 thru 21st and will not be responding to anyone during that time.

Last edited by hmacdona; October 22, 2012 at 02:15 PM.
hmacdona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2012   #2
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

I'm in, it was great last time. Thanks for hosting. Claud
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2012   #3
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

Count me in again this year, Heather!
delltraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2012   #4
jillybeantx
Tomatovillian™

Count me in, please.

Thank you!
Jill
jillybeantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2012   #5
RickCorey
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, Heather! I'll be there.
RickCorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2012   #6
huntsman
Tomatovillian™

I'm the first from the dark continent...

huntsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2012   #7
happydog
Tomatovillian™

Last years swap was great! Count me in.
happydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2012   #8
koshki
Tomatovillian™

I very excited to join this year! Thank you for taking on such a complicated job!

Do you have a preference on the type of seed packet we should use?

Katherine

Last edited by koshki; September 19, 2012 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Added question
koshki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2012   #9
halleone
Tomatovillian™

Me, too, please. And thanks, again, for doing this.
halleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2012   #10
sicily
Tomatovillian™

Please count me in on this one. I was too late last year, thanks so much for doing this. I have many tomatoes and hot pepper varieties to share.
sicily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2012   #11
bluebonnets
Tomatovillian™

Oh, please, count me in too. Sounds like fun!
bluebonnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2012   #12
austinnhanasmom
Tomatovillian™

I'm in again!!

Thanks so much for hosting another year -

Deb (austinnhanasmom)
austinnhanasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2012   #13
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Heather,

Count me in, again.

As for "bonus" seeds to send in, along with tomatoes and peppers,
are beans too big?

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2012   #14
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Looks great! I'd love to give it a try.
Old September 19, 2012   #15
RickCorey
Tomatovillian™

Wow, that is long-distance seed trading! Zone 9 in Africa sounds like warm summers. My own Zone 8 on the West coast of North America has very coool summers due to the Pacific ocean keeping us cool.
RickCorey is offline   Reply With Quote