Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 3, 2017   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Tumbling Tom Yellow

I'm thinking of growing TT Yellow next season. I've grown TT Red quite a few times, and think it is OK, but Red Profusion from the same breeder is better. For those of you who have grown the TT yellow, how did you like it? I've read in several places that it is quite productive. If you grew it, how large was your container, and did you plant more than one it the same container? Note: I'm asking about TT Yellow, not the TT yellow junior (which is different).

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2017   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

There is a thread called Tumbling Tom in hanging baskets.
Some photos there. I have grown it in combination with a pink and a red tumbler the three plants in one 16 inch basket. It became quite a showpiece. Super heavy though, needs a strong support
Placing a basket in a metal plant stand looks nice and is maybe easier than hanging. You can grow in smaller baskets but keeping up with watering and fertilizer is difficult. They are thirsty and need a lot of fertilizer: they are also determinate so they will finish and look ugly before the fall although I find if you keep them picked they do continue to sporadically bloom and fruit after the main flush but by then they are not very nice

KarenO.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2017   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the tip on Red Profusion. Several Vegetalis products look intriguing:
http://vegetalis.com/products/tomato...red-profusion1

I like Tumbling Tom Yellow better than the red. I would describe the taste as "edible." I think the red is a spitter.

Terrenzo is the best-tasting compact red cherry that I have tried, but it just isn't as bushy and pretty of a hanging basket plant as the Tumbling Toms.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote