Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 8, 2012   #421
Garf
Tomatovillian™

I went thru my seed packets today. I separated them into 3 stacks. 1-keep, 2-dump, 3 maybe. This is the batch I will give away.

Nevas Azorian Red
Berkley Tie Die Pink
Box Car Willie
Red Brandywine
Arkansas Traveller
Garf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2012   #422
Garf
Tomatovillian™

This is the "maybe" batch. I may grow these, I might be talked out of some.

Hellfricht
Mule Team
Siberian
Rozouyi Flamingo
Stump of the World
Phil's Fantastic
Flavour Steak
Sophie's Choice
Bills Berkley Pink
Old Virginia
Sub Artic Plenty
Mortgage Lifter
Brandywine-Sudduth
Sanibel
Earl's Faux
Grandfathers Ashlock
German Johnson Potato Leaf
Early Wonder
Polish Giant
Super Choice
Germaid Red

I won't list my "keepers".
Old September 8, 2012   #423
Garf
Tomatovillian™

I also have a batch of saved seed. One pack from the Red Brandywine I grew last year, one pack simply marked "store", One pack marked "beefsteak", and a pack marked "forum" that I got from another forum member, type unknown. I think it is a dwarf.
Old September 9, 2012   #424
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

Hay Worth, I just below Tampa, I just planted my seeds this weekend, finishing up today with them for my first crop to be around Thanksgiving (hopefully) then I'll plant another group of seeds first part of December so I can be finished by first part of June.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2012   #425
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowyck View Post
Hay Worth, I just below Tampa, I just planted my seeds this weekend, finishing up today with them for my first crop to be around Thanksgiving (hopefully) then I'll plant another group of seeds first part of December so I can be finished by first part of June.

Jan Joe lives in Riverview, just east of you and a stones throw from your place.

I'll text him and let him know.
He is a plant fanatic like myself and has a very small yard in a sub division with an HOA.

He wishes he had a larger place and salivates when he sees pictures of my place.
Thanks I couldn't have asked for a closer comparison as to where he lives for starting tomatoes.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2012   #426
greentiger87
Tomatovillian™

So wait, you guys plant straight into the ground in December? Hrrm. I wonder if I can do that in Houston.. I'd probably have to invest in some cloches.

I have an HOA, but my front/side yard are full of vegetables. I don't plant in rows, it's kind of the mixed planting with herbs and ornamentals approach (so it doesn't look like a farm). They've yet to complain
greentiger87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2012   #427
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentiger87 View Post
So wait, you guys plant straight into the ground in December? Hrrm. I wonder if I can do that in Houston.. I'd probably have to invest in some cloches.

I have an HOA, but my front/side yard are full of vegetables. I don't plant in rows, it's kind of the mixed planting with herbs and ornamentals approach (so it doesn't look like a farm). They've yet to complain
Houston area is like 100 miles across.
If you live on the south side you can plant out in early February and be prepared to cover for the occasional late frost if any at all.
Always keep some back in reserve though.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2012   #428
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

Hay Worth, yep he isn't far at all.

I so want more space to grow more veggies and plants, so far this is our second year of renting while trying to find a place. Too many HOA requirements for me to ever go into them, my dad wants me to get a condo, I keep telling him there isn't anywhere for my veggies.... now if I could find a condo that had a walk out to the roof, then maybe...LOL

Even if we could get a 1/4 acre that would be enough to make me happy. I miss our mini farm in KY, 6 acres and loved it, but I love the weather of my home state.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote