Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 28, 2015   #1
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Default Opinions Wanted about Omar's Lebanese in the Deep South

I have been reading up on Omar's Lebanese and I have found conflicting statements on the productivity of this variety.
Just wondering how it performed for people that live in the deep south. I am refering to taste, productivity, disease tolerance. Any info will be much appreciated.
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It does quite well through early summer producing some large and sometimes huge fruits. Once the intense summer heat begins size and production really drops off. I grew it for a good many years but mainly for the novelty of the huge tomatoes. The biggest problem I had with Omar's Lebanese was that they had a mealy texture and very blah taste. They really filled up the sauce pot though.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #3
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Bill, I always value your thoughts. Looks like Omar's Lebanese will sit out 2016.
Old June 29, 2015   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I wasn't trying to scare you away from it because I grew it for years. I have just become too picky in my old age and prefer tomatoes that fit my taste preferences. The list of tomatoes I no longer grow is in the hundreds. Most because of inconsistency or lack of production here in the deep south and the others because of flavor or texture. Growing tomatoes is hard hot work down here and I just don't feel like wasting my space or time on those I consider below my taste standards. If you have the room to grow lots of tomato varieties you should do so and find the ones you like the best and that suit your garden conditions. I had a lot of fun growing so many different varieties for so long but finally had to settle down to the best of the best for me.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #5
flgatorguy87
Tomatovillian™

I can only comment on productivity, but thus far it's been my best plant. I prob have 30 fruit on mine. I haven't had much trouble with disease in any plant so hard to say if it's more resistant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
flgatorguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #6
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I wasn't trying to scare you away from it because I grew it for years. I have just become too picky in my old age and prefer tomatoes that fit my taste preferences. The list of tomatoes I no longer grow is in the hundreds. Most because of inconsistency or lack of production here in the deep south and the others because of flavor or texture. Growing tomatoes is hard hot work down here and I just don't feel like wasting my space or time on those I consider below my taste standards. If you have the room to grow lots of tomato varieties you should do so and find the ones you like the best and that suit your garden conditions. I had a lot of fun growing so many different varieties for so long but finally had to settle down to the best of the best for me.

Bill

I understand Bill. I am just hoping for more hits than misses. I plan to grow several that you recommended to me next spring. I have read several reviews of Omar's Lebanese, some pro, some con. Just wondering what everyone thought. Thanks
Old June 29, 2015   #7
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgatorguy87 View Post
I can only comment on productivity, but thus far it's been my best plant. I prob have 30 fruit on mine. I haven't had much trouble with disease in any plant so hard to say if it's more resistant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info!
Old June 29, 2015   #8
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing it as well this year. One plant has 30 tomatoes on it, but is looking like the blight may be getting to it. I have 4 others- one has 7 tomatoes at the bottom, and nothing above. The other two have only two tomatoes. This is on plants that are 5-6 feet tall. None of the others have blight.

My impression is that in extreme heat, this variety will not pollinate well and the blossoms just die and fall off. In contrast, my Early Girls right next to it have very good heat tolerance, and flowers become fruit no matter what the temperature.

In my opinion, once you have great fruit set in the early summer, you are fine with this variety. But late planting will result in some stunted nonproductive plants.

I can't comment on taste, but I'll let you know!
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #9
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
I'm growing it as well this year. One plant has 30 tomatoes on it, but is looking like the blight may be getting to it. I have 4 others- one has 7 tomatoes at the bottom, and nothing above. The other two have only two tomatoes. This is on plants that are 5-6 feet tall. None of the others have blight.

My impression is that in extreme heat, this variety will not pollinate well and the blossoms just die and fall off. In contrast, my Early Girls right next to it have very good heat tolerance, and flowers become fruit no matter what the temperature.

In my opinion, once you have great fruit set in the early summer, you are fine with this variety. But late planting will result in some stunted nonproductive plants.

I can't comment on taste, but I'll let you know!

Thanks, Spartanburg123. Let me know what you think of its taste. Good luck!
Old June 30, 2015   #10
Chapinz8
Tomatovillian™

I grew Omars last year and it was my most productive at 44 from one plant. Tomatoes averaged about 1 pound. One of my favorites for the beauty of the fruit, has been fairly disease free. However, it has been middle of the road in taste. No off taste, just very mild.
Chapinz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2015   #11
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapinz8 View Post
I grew Omars last year and it was my most productive at 44 from one plant. Tomatoes averaged about 1 pound. One of my favorites for the beauty of the fruit, has been fairly disease free. However, it has been middle of the road in taste. No off taste, just very mild.
Great info Chapin. On my one plant with 30 tomatoes, the first ripe one was collected off the bottom truss, and it was very small. It seems that all of these are staying small. I have kept up with the fertilization every few weeks, along with a little calcium snack every now and then. Perhaps the upper trusses will produce larger fruit. I seem to recall that my biggest tomatoes often come from the middle, not the bottom.
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote