Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 28, 2015   #1
silverseed
Tomatovillian™

Default Purple Dog Creek

I'm growing the Purple Dog Creek tomato this year for the first time, I was wondering if any of you have grown it and if so how did you like it and anything else you might be able to tell me about it, I got them from a friend in KY. who also sent me one called the Buck ( Maxie ) which I also have not grown till now. All i know is that they are Appalachian tomatos and promised that I won't be disappointed. Any info would be appreciated . Thanks.

Last edited by silverseed; June 28, 2015 at 12:10 PM. Reason: spelling
silverseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2015   #2
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I will quote from a message I received from WVTomatoMan who introduced this variety and posts here.
"A local church, the Winchester Avenue Christian Church, did missionary work in rural Appalachia. They would go to a community and help out, most often in the form of restoring buildings, churches, and barns. In this particular case they were close to Mecklanberg (sp?) Kentucky. To show their appreciation the people of the community gave a picnik. In addition to other food items tomatoes were served. One of Spud Raney's friends, Bill Hoffman, liked the tomato and asked if he could take a couple back to Martinsburg, WV for his friend. They agreed. Bill took the two tomatoes to Spud. Spud ate one to make sure it was a good one, and it was so he saved seeds from the other tomato. He gave me some of the seeds and saved the rest for himself. Oh yeah when Bill asked for the name of the tomato an old lady said it was named Purple Dog Creek."

I have grown it several times and also think you will not be disappointed.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #3
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

I like it. It always seems to do will in our early-blight plagued community garden and it is always more productive than most of the other varieties as well. Fruits are mostly quite large (often over a pound) and good tasting as well. What's not to like?
Old June 29, 2015   #4
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

PDC is a favorite of mine. Healthy plants, productive, excellent tasting , large fruit.

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #5
mecktom
Tomatovillian™

One of our favorites!
mecktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #6
Longlake
Tomatovillian™

Another fan here. It's healthy, productive and on the earlier-side for such a large tomato. Definite keeper in my book!
Old June 29, 2015   #7
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

One of my favorites. Largest tomato I've ever grown - 39 oz.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2015   #8
jflournoy
Tomatovillian™

We grew it last year. It produced big, attractive tomatoes that we thought were very average in the taste department. We didn't grow it again this year.
jflournoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2015   #9
Christa B.
Tomatovillian™

I grew it last year and I thought it was just average for taste but the plant's production was pretty good. As you know, tomato variety taste can vary from year to year depending on many factors so I may feel differently if I ever grow it again. I will probably give it another chance one of these years because it does have good reviews and I still have seeds.
Christa B. is offline   Reply With Quote