Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 23, 2017   #1
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Default Low Humidity is KILLING me

I think when I wake up tomorrow, I am going to fill about 20 5-gallon buckets with water and randomly place them around my house. I've had the humidifier running for the past few days and still cannot break 24% RH.

This year I have well over 220 seedlings sprouted with more coming and the watering chore is becoming WAY too much to handle. The past few years, I only watered twice a week (if that). There is still over 18" of un-melted snow outside and the weather is dry, dry, dry. I seem to be watering half of the plants every other day.

Any other suggestions to keep these plants hydrated??? Please don't say mulch.... LOL, I will NOT mulch a Dixie or Solo cup!!
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017   #2
MissS
Tomatovillian™

How about hanging a few wet towels in the area? Save some money and hang your clothes inside to dry. You could also run an aquarium air pump in your buckets to make it evaporate more quickly. Turn down the heat. Run the shower with the door open. Simmer something on the stove.

Just a few suggestions, I hope that they work. I hang clothes to dry and get a good sweat on my windows from this.
Old March 24, 2017   #3
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Why don't you use more compost and mulch? I would gladly trade my Florida humidity for something a bit drier.

edit: oops, shouldn't have mentioned mulch.

Last edited by maxjohnson; March 24, 2017 at 10:19 AM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Good time to dry peppers.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017   #5
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Good time to dry peppers.
Doubt that there are that many growing out there in the snow. But of course you never know.
Old March 24, 2017   #6
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Keep boiling water on the stove and circulate the air ( just run the fan ).
When the cold low RH outside air get in and warms up, RH drops sharply. That is what happens in the winter.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017   #7
MendozaMark
Tomatovillian™

Can you tent your seedling area in or close the door if they are in small room? Then put your humidifier inside or use large pots/containers full of water and place in area.
MendozaMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017   #8
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
How about hanging a few wet towels in the area? Save some money and hang your clothes inside to dry. You could also run an aquarium air pump in your buckets to make it evaporate more quickly. Turn down the heat. Run the shower with the door open. Simmer something on the stove.

Just a few suggestions, I hope that they work. I hang clothes to dry and get a good sweat on my windows from this.
Good suggestions but where the plants are there is no place to hang things and also would not want to drip too much water on the floor. Laundry is usually only 1 or 2 loads done on a Sunday. Showers are 1 and 2 levels below so that wouldn't work for me very effectively.
Old March 24, 2017   #9
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MendozaMark View Post
Can you tent your seedling area in or close the door if they are in small room? Then put your humidifier inside or use large pots/containers full of water and place in area.
I have thought of the tent idea. I have also been waiting for milder temperatures so that I can move them out to my unheated sunroom. It's 12x16 with 10' ceiling. Currently the plants are in a 20x20 room with cathedral ceiling which doesn't help the battle.
Old March 24, 2017   #10
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Pots of water on the stove is what we always used when "Glubby," the six gallon humidifier couldn't keep up. That was before my husband installed a new furnace with a whole house humidifier.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017   #11
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

In my younger years I went a wee bit overboard with tropical fish. (I have the fish show trophies to prove it). As many aquaria as I had up and running, it did nothing for the dry air in winter. Run a humidifier in the area.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017   #12
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

pretty typical relative humidity on the dry cold winter prairies. The trade off is minimal fungal problems. I would just water more and don't worry about it.

I also like the much maligned MG moisture control seedling mix for the same reason so maybe something to try next time is a more moisture retentive potting mix.
Now I live on Vancouver Island which has a maritime and temperate rainforest mixed climate with super high humidity and have to wash the algae off my driveway nowhere is perfect we just have to adjust and this is why there is not one right way to grow tomatoes.

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Reminds me of the woman I knew that moved from Lubbock Texas to Austin.
In about a month everything she had as far as shoes and leather was covered in mold and or mildew.

The spores were just waiting for the right environment.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017   #14
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Interesting. Has it been unusually dry (outside)? If, that's a pretty bad harbinger for the summer, if anything like here in IN 5b.

Back in the day when I was little (1940's - 1950's), my grandparents set pans of water over the registers, sometime with a towel "wick" to help evaporate the water. No forced air heating then. Big ducts from the basement and maybe 12" X 15" floor registers that were ideal for setting pans of water. Did it work very well? Well, I remember little nose bleeds in the winters from the dry air, so probably not too well.
-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017   #15
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Consider it a good thing as bottom watering is superior letting you starts dry out fast.

I've been going through about 3 gallons a day as the potting up larger plants need so much water being thirsty over the young ones. I wait until they are weightless before watering. You could gather a few 5 gallon buckets of snow and place them in your seed
starting room to thaw.

But i so prefer dry. Fighting FungusGnats is not fun.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote