Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 5, 2017   #46
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

Hellmanns,

I agree that there is a ton of drama in the video, probably too much. But this is the video world we live in. Have you ever watched a Gordon Ramsey cooking show?

I might be that excited (probably not as much) if I were able to germinate seeds for a variety that had been gone for that length of time.
mikemansker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2017   #47
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Lots of great points, analysis and interesting content popping up in this thread. It has sparked interest in me to do a bit of research on Garden Spot Seeds. Found link to this 1919 catalog. A fascinating read

http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/i...age/2/mode/1up
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2017   #48
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

Okay I sort of watched both of the videos. I skimmed through them cause I didn't really care to hear him blather on and on and I did want to see what people were talking about. Here is my amazing opinion (that no one cares about but me) . . . whether the seeds are old, the burlap is new or if he has a new screw loose (see what I did there?) . . . (OMG I am too amusing gosh), I would say he is a success if he gets even just ONE person interested in gardening.

It was kind of refreshing to see a young man playing with seeds not some of the other crap you see on Youtube.
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2017   #49
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

No Phillips screws in my old canner I bought yesterday.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2017   #50
gardenfrog
Tomatovillian™

I didn't see anywhere where it said the frame and wire were 87-years-old. How many of you have found "treasures" in old boxes and chests and decided to share the items with others in a like way. Whether the seeds came from a cave, old pottery or a chest in the attic, I appreciate this gardener's sharing with all of us.

For those who think he will reap riches for his experiments in germinating old seeds, I highly doubt it. Wish he was one of my neighbors!
gardenfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2017   #51
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfrog View Post
I didn't see anywhere where it said the frame and wire were 87-years-old. How many of you have found "treasures" in old boxes and chests and decided to share the items with others in a like way. Whether the seeds came from a cave, old pottery or a chest in the attic, I appreciate this gardener's sharing with all of us.

For those who think he will reap riches for his experiments in germinating old seeds, I highly doubt it. Wish he was one of my neighbors!
In rewatching parts of the video, he does seem to think the seeds have been in the shadowbox since the 30's.

I find it much more likely, as you say, that they were discovered stored away safely much later and were mounted in the display. I still believe, as I have said, that they are genuine.
Old March 5, 2017   #52
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

He got on my nerves, but I do agree that if he gets one person interested in gardening - it's a good thing.

I tried watching the one about a friend of a friend taking his beets. I think I lost some brain cells...but I don't remember?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2017   #53
gardenfrog
Tomatovillian™

I recently purchased some tobacco seeds from Sustainable Seed Company from a 300-year-old indian site. Those seeds sprouted and created tobacco with huge leaves...unique to what is known today. Though I'm not a smoker, the idea of growing something that has not been changed by time is intriguing and satisfying.

Years ago I tried to recreate prehistoric growing conditions for hatching of two Emu eggs. Evidence is pretty clear that ancestors of modern birds could have been the terrifyingly-huge creatures we have seen recreated in "Jurassic Park". As far as the experiment went...My wife and teenage son thought I was nuts! It caused a lot of stress in the family, so I decided to keep peace in the family, cook a healthy batch of Emu scrambled eggs for the dogs and look for other opportunities of exploration (There are many!).

87-year-old tomato seeds sounds doable to me if the conditions are right. I wish MIgardener all the success in the world as well as all the fun he can reap from his journeys in the soil!!!
gardenfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2017   #54
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfrog View Post

Go to 3 minutes 9 seconds in the video.
He says, """""So this---this is a shadow box that was put together and assembled in the 1930's.
That was hung at the Lancaster County seed company, uh headquarters, so this
actually was ah hung on their wall when you walked through their headquarters and this ah was in an antique shop (cant understand what he said)---- they were able to buy.
and this was a very very hefty price for this by the way."""""
I'm saying someone got ripped off big time.
The seeds are not that old nor is the shadow box.
Notice no discoloration on the burlap where the seed packet is removed.
Soaking seeds in sugar water.
Who on earth would do that.
Carolyn has given me old seeds 10 year old I think or more and I have soaked them in the MG solution over night and had like 90% germination.
None of this sterile BS.
No wonder he had poor germination rates.

Even if this guy isn't the con he is passing on BS information to unsuspecting people that have no idea.
Old March 5, 2017   #55
Donna Mattingly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Mattingly View Post
People here have been so kind to me in sharing seeds...if there are any of you more experienced ones who would like a shot at waking these seeds up, PM me. I would like to give a few a try, myself, but it would make me happy to share with those more experienced and with proven success in salvaging old seeds. Just let me know!
I'm very happy to report that our Starlight will be receiving most of my old Muskmelon seeds. She has been generous with me in the past - sent me some of her Atkinson seeds that she helped coax back into existence, among others. I have managed to wake up a 25 year old tomato seed before, but feel ones as old as these deserve the expertise of a more experienced person - and Starlight has the creds!
Donna Mattingly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2017   #56
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

John, in no way am I calling you out, or trying to criticize you, or others with my comments and observations on the video.

I also took note of his wife thinking of subscribers first and foremost when he excitedly called her unscripted in the second video @9:25. So, it seems their subscriber count is the most exciting topic between the two of them.

There is big bucks in a YouTube channel that has that many subscribers. The problem is, the channel has to publish new and exciting content on a regular basis to pick up new subscribers, and to keep old ones from hitting the unsubscribe button. Also, now learning he sells seeds from home adds quite a bit to this..If just 10% of 103,000 subscribers wants a $1 pack of seed from this no longer available variety it's a pretty big win for him.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2017   #57
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmanns View Post
John, in no way am I calling you out, or trying to criticize you, or others with my comments and observations on the video.

I also took note of his wife thinking of subscribers first and foremost when he excitedly called her unscripted in the second video @9:25. So, it seems their subscriber count is the most exciting topic between the two of them.

There is big bucks in a YouTube channel that has that many subscribers. The problem is, the channel has to publish new and exciting content on a regular basis to pick up new subscribers, and to keep old ones from hitting the unsubscribe button. Also, now learning he sells seeds from home adds quite a bit to this..If just 10% of 103,000 subscribers wants a $1 pack of seed from this no longer available variety it's a pretty big win for him.
Hellman, thanks and in no way did I think you were calling me out. I also apologize if I was a bit aggressive defending him.

As I've said, I agree with many of the questions about the age of the display box and I think the story from the seller has holes based on that.

I still believe the seed packs and seeds are likely genuine and are old. I have actually been trying to figure out where the 1930 date comes from. I don't see it on the packs, does anyone else? If he is believing the story of the seller completely that seems to be a mistake.

I don't see dishonesty in this young couple, maybe naïveté. I also have no issue with the promoting part of the videos. They are trying to build a business and it takes that.

Still very interested to see him grow out any surviving seedlings.
Old March 5, 2017   #58
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I have no issues with you posting. Interesting.
I've not run into this persons videos but it is a different generation of reality TV now
i see on youtube. And not surprised with so much advertising revenue.
(he is a bit high-strung and over-bearing) a little...

That is just a difference in personality i suppose. I would rather eat glass that hold a
selfie stick, but others can't stop. When someone has a need to film themselves all
week and share it publicly....it has to come with a bit of skepticism. It does reek of mild
deceit somewhere. Either the seller or the buyer. Show-boating, hype.

New old stock of everything is in homes and barns all over and most have no interest.
Why they are sold on E-bay, Etsy. (it is valuable if someone is willing to pay for it)

My only real issue is the lack of research and not 'waking' up old seed carefully.
Dumping in full packs. Drum roll. Whispering. Drama. (toss in a few viable newer seeds
from the home/business collection). The excitement seemed false to me. But minor deceit? They have to live with that. If it is, but no way to know. They get to live with it if it is so. (i realize he did not empty the entire tomato pack but it was still careless)

A better lesson would be, for so many watching, would be a mention of many of the
methods to wake up old seeds. The embryo might be in good shape, but its seed case might have hardened and the carbohydrates and minerals usually inside might have been compromised or dried out. That needs to be available immediately unlike my recent seeding that is up in 4-5 days being fresh seed.

I do agree that getting a younger generation involved in gardening is a win.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2017   #59
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Go to 3 minutes 9 seconds in the video.
He says, """""So this---this is a shadow box that was put together and assembled in the 1930's.
That was hung at the Lancaster County seed company, uh headquarters, so this
actually was ah hung on their wall when you walked through their headquarters and this ah was in an antique shop (cant understand what he said)---- they were able to buy.
and this was a very very hefty price for this by the way."""""
I'm saying someone got ripped off big time.
The seeds are not that old nor is the shadow box.
Notice no discoloration on the burlap where the seed packet is removed.
Soaking seeds in sugar water.
Who on earth would do that.
Carolyn has given me old seeds 10 year old I think or more and I have soaked them in the MG solution over night and had like 90% germination.
None of this sterile BS.
No wonder he had poor germination rates.

Even if this guy isn't the con he is passing on BS information to unsuspecting people that have no idea.
Phillips screws were invented in the early 1930's. Burlap in a shadow box displayed on a wall without any exposure to sunlight and sealed from dust, etc. might well appear new. The videos may or may not represent the truth, but I choose to believe that it's entirely possible.
mikemansker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2017   #60
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

They may have been invented in the 30's but they didn't come into use until way later.
Even electrical boxes didn't start using them until the 90's