Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 21, 2017   #136
Rockandrollin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
On the one hand, congrats on the sprout

on the other, right cross.
The other hand gave me a big laugh!
Rockandrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2017   #137
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I collect Civil War relics, of which 95% are fakes, so those of us in this hobby are pretty sharp eyed about how things are made. That picture frame is not from the 1930s, as some have noted. The story is bogus, and therefore so are the seeds. Whoever faked it made out like a bandit, since the price was "high". I suspect the seed packs were made on a modern copying machine.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2017   #138
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

First off thank you JohnJones for posting this as it has sparked a good debate and interest into germinating old seed. I have been staying out of this so far but i cant take it any more. This guy is, in my opinion, is a total sham. He has no clue how to germinate seed let alone older seed. How he has a seed company is beyond me. The original seed that he coaxed to supposedly germinate was posted in his second video 2 months ago. He himself has told us he only had 1 seed germinate. In his most recent video, a whole two months later, he claims he has a "sprout" that came from the original germinated seed. That puts his tomato seedling at cotyledon stage at 2 months from germination. I have sprouted some 20 plus year old seed and i have never had any seedling "sprout" take that long to come out of the soil and pop out 2 baby cotyledons. If the seed germinated in his paper towel and he planted it at the proper depth the seed would had long since rotted under soil for 2 months, even in sterile soil. Moisture and light make mold in the cleanest of soils. Everything from the begining was wrong from day 1 of his posts. This guy in video 1 buys a neat shadow box with old seeds off of Etsy and claims to have paid an exorbitant amount of money for such a rare find. No where in the original sellers description does it mention these are 87 year old seeds from the original seed producers office. This very likable guy makes a very likable video showing his excitement and his amazing find. The internet rejoices. Now he is on the hook for more videos which means more views and more subscribers which will eventually result in more seed sales. Yay. In the second video he calls his wife and as pointed out in a earlier post all his wife seemed to care and ask about was if he reached 100,000 subscribers. This is a very obvious clue as to what he is up to. Then the 2 months go buy with nothing no mentions or videos of this amazingly awesome tomato seed that germinated. Then due to pressure from his comments pages and a few rude replies to questioning commenters he finally posts the third installment to the ongoing saga. If you ask me this is where he germinates a completely different seed for view ability of the third video, a full 2 months later. Then he makes the third video states this is the old seedling and gives a bunch of bogus info about a University and clearly states this is the "85 year old seed" he germinated. So we just lost 2 years of the story just like that. So much for 87 years. And now we wait for the worlds slowest seedling to come to fruition. Sorry for the rant but this guy is totally bogus.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."

Last edited by heirloomtomaguy; March 21, 2017 at 11:38 PM.
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2017   #139
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
On the one hand, congrats on the sprout

on the other, right cross.
I have read this thread down to HTG's post # 138.

Gerardo, you win the best post on this thread award

As someone following this thread I would like to add a large third hand to add an uppercut.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2017   #140
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Deleted

Last edited by JohnJones; March 22, 2017 at 10:52 PM. Reason: double posted
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2017   #141
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
First off thank you JohnJones for posting this as it has sparked a good debate and interest into germinating old seed. I have been staying out of this so far but i cant take it any more. This guy is, in my opinion, is a total sham. He has no clue how to germinate seed let alone older seed. How he has a seed company is beyond me. The original seed that he coaxed to supposedly germinate was posted in his second video 2 months ago. He himself has told us he only had 1 seed germinate. In his most recent video, a whole two months later, he claims he has a "sprout" that came from the original germinated seed. That puts his tomato seedling at cotyledon stage at 2 months from germination. I have sprouted some 20 plus year old seed and i have never had any seedling "sprout" take that long to come out of the soil and pop out 2 baby cotyledons. If the seed germinated in his paper towel and he planted it at the proper depth the seed would had long since rotted under soil for 2 months, even in sterile soil. Moisture and light make mold in the cleanest of soils. Everything from the begining was wrong from day 1 of his posts. This guy in video 1 buys a neat shadow box with old seeds off of Etsy and claims to have paid an exorbitant amount of money for such a rare find. No where in the original sellers description does it mention these are 87 year old seeds from the original seed producers office. This very likable guy makes a very likable video showing his excitement and his amazing find. The internet rejoices. Now he is on the hook for more videos which means more views and more subscribers which will eventually result in more seed sales. Yay. In the second video he calls his wife and as pointed out in a earlier post all his wife seemed to care and ask about was if he reached 100,000 subscribers. This is a very obvious clue as to what he is up to. Then the 2 months go buy with nothing no mentions or videos of this amazingly awesome tomato seed that germinated. Then due to pressure from his comments pages and a few rude replies to questioning commenters he finally posts the third installment to the ongoing saga. If you ask me this is where he germinates a completely different seed for view ability of the third video, a full 2 months later. Then he makes the third video states this is the old seedling and gives a bunch of bogus info about a University and clearly states this is the "85 year old seed" he germinated. So we just lost 2 years of the story just like that. So much for 87 years. And now we wait for the worlds slowest seedling to come to fruition. Sorry for the rant but this guy is totally bogus.
Glad you have enjoyed the thread HTG!

In the interest of accuracy, the germination vid was 2/14 and the SPROUT!!! vid was 3/21, so 35 days rather than 2 months. Not an opinion on the likelihood of this being the same seed, just a correction in the interest of accuracy.

My opinions on the guy, the box and the seeds are littered (that's the right word) throughout this thread so no need for a rehash. I will offer the opinion that he's a truly dedicated con artist if he's lying and actually went to the trouble to have a number of cups with no activity and one with a dead seedling. He may actually be that big of a con, but I don't think so. More likely a young kid who is careless with facts in his efforts to make an exciting video. Opinions will differ.
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2017   #142
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I dont know where i got 2 months but whether 2 months or 35 days i still stand by my thoughts on this. 35 days is an eternity for a germinated seed to take to emerge out of the soil. I still think it would have rotted and died in that time. He took such a beating on Youtube about his lack of updates, probably due to his original germinated seedling dying, he had to make the third video with a new seedling just to save his channel and subscribers. Even if by some miracle he did receive 87 year old seed and got it to actually germinate there is no way the seedling in the third video is the original one. From germination to cotyledon has never for me taken 35 days or even 20 days for that matter. Now we wait for video 4 to see if perhaps 35 days from now we may have the first set of true leaves.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
Old March 23, 2017   #143
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

How on earth can you guys sit through these videos.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2017   #144
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post

Worth
Popcorn.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2017   #145
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Worth
I know it is rough but someone has to do it.
Old March 23, 2017   #146
Rockandrollin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Worth
I find value in his videos (although I couldn't watch a complete video). What about re-purposing them? For example, a alternative to water boarding.......
Rockandrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2017   #147
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Today I was searching for some gardening subject and came across one of that guy's videos.
He was holding a watermelon plant (in a small pot, probably bought from some nursery)
He kept talking and lecturing like for ever, holding that WM plant in his hand. OH, sure, he was just teaching how to grow watermelon. hehe

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017   #148
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I find the presentations to be spastic babble.
Between that and the sea sick stuttering hand held video camera jerking around I almost want to puke.
Old March 24, 2017   #149
loulac
Tomatovillian™

You don't need to have the brains of Columbo to notice that it's a fake. The prankster sawed the branch he was sitting on when he used recent screws.
If someone has a second to waste : https://youtu.be/4yqYv4K9v9c?t=95

all the best
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017   #150
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulac View Post
You don't need to have the brains of Columbo to notice that it's a fake. The prankster sawed the branch he was sitting on when he used recent screws.
If someone has a second to waste : https://youtu.be/4yqYv4K9v9c?t=95

all the best
Reminds me of my neighbor knocking on my door wanting help.
He was about to drop a tree on my house before I called off the operation.
Even if he did get it to go the way he wanted he was going to drop in on his little pickup and kill it plus his back porch.