Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old February 29, 2016   #16
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

nice!
ChiliPeppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2016   #17
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Wowie! very nice so far!
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2016   #18
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for posting pics.

If you haven't bought your plastic yet, here is a site to browse:
http://www.growerssolution.com/page/GS/CTGY/gc
They have a free shipping deal going on right now.

You'll need to make sure that water does not pool in the area above your side purlins. You can weave rope through the space if it does. "Batten cord" is the term. You may also want batten cord going over the entire structure to hold the plastic down in the wind.

You didn't mention the sizes on your windows, but I am going to guess that they will be not nearly big enough. Without roll-up sides, I would want the entire ends of the structure to open, like this:

That's an "Eliot Coleman Scissor door." It's just two pipes bolted together as a hinge.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2016   #19
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Lookin good Uncle D!!!!!
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2016   #20
Uncle Doss
Tomatovillian™

CR, just curious, why would you automatically assume that my windows wont be big enough?
Old February 29, 2016   #21
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Everyone goes through the same learning curve. I have met multiple people who cooked all of their plants, because the county extension agent told them that roll-up sides were optional.

Unless you open up a similar portion of the end as in my scissor door pic, on a sunny day with no wind, you're going to be 30-40 degrees above the outside temperature, even with windows open. That's fine when it's 50. But when it's 80 or 90 outside, your greenhouse is going to be a solar oven. Small windows might work on a windy day, but you can't count on that wind to be there all the time.
Old February 29, 2016   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Everyone goes through the same learning curve. I have met multiple people who cooked all of their plants, because the county extension agent told them that roll-up sides were optional.

Unless you open up a similar portion of the end as in my scissor door pic, on a sunny day with no wind, you're going to be 30-40 degrees above the outside temperature, even with windows open. That's fine when it's 50. But when it's 80 or 90 outside, your greenhouse is going to be a solar oven. Small windows might work on a windy day, but you can't count on that wind to be there all the time.
Cole on your other post there is nothing after the (like this) statement no pictuer.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2016   #23
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Sorry, it's showing up for me.

Here is the direct link to the pic: http://lostcreek.net/images/280_CATHEDRAL_END-VIEW.jpg
Old February 29, 2016   #24
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Sorry, it's showing up for me.

Here is the direct link to the pic: http://lostcreek.net/images/280_CATHEDRAL_END-VIEW.jpg
My anti virus blocked that one dont worry it is on my end.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2016   #25
Uncle Doss
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

I suppose I can see your point, so maybe I should back up and tell every detail of everything.
First off, this isn't my first rodeo with a greenhouse, I never implied it was, I do have experience with a greenhouse of my own in the past and one of a neighbor.

the windows that will be in the end are 44 inches wide each. If I have room there will be 2 of those and a 30 inch wide in the far end, and 3 of the 30 inch wide windows in the door end, one being in the door itself.
I have 2, 20 inch fans that will be mounted in front of the windows on the far end to pull air out. Though I haven't ordered it yet, those will likely be hooked up to a thermo-cube.
I suppose I should also say, most of the summer, this probably won't even be used. the point of even having this is to get my seedlings out of my seet starting room and give them more natural light. I currently have a bit over 1100 peppers started and am out of room in my starting room and still need to get 400-600 tomatoes planted.
if it is going to end up being used, by summer time I will have a shade cloth over it as well.
Old February 29, 2016   #26
Uncle Doss
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks for posting pics.

If you haven't bought your plastic yet, here is a site to browse:
http://www.growerssolution.com/page/GS/CTGY/gc
They have a free shipping deal going on right now.

I appreciate the link, but yes, I already have the plastic for this one, at least plastic for this year.
Old February 29, 2016   #27
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I agree about the ventilation... $$$$$ electricity $$$$$...... you will be using to run the fans? Your fans will run all day everyday without the sides rolled up. I have 3 high tunnels with NOTHING but side ventilation and 3 greenhouses with automatic fans and continually running haf fans. One of those has a roll up side the other doesn't the third one is for starting seeds and is attached to the house. They run all the time during the Summer. The side roll up is much easier to keep the diseases down in too, because there is way more air movement than the non-roll up sided one. I also grow in mine clear into the Fall or even winter if I can. If you aren't growing in them... (which is a waste of space to not grow in them) then I understand not needing side rollups. Sometimes my electric bill runs about 400.00 during July/August/ Sept. This is just my perspective from having both and using them to earn money, too.
Old March 4, 2016   #28
Uncle Doss
Tomatovillian™

against my better judgement, I am updating this with the little bit I was able to get done today.
I got the better part of the front wall rough framed. I have to do some trimming, and then hang the door (after I make it). Change of plans, the windows that were going to be on either side of the door won't fit. They are too tall, or too wide at the top, depending on how you look at it.
I will now probably build some manner of an opening "window" or vent on either side of the door.
I am now also thinking about using it year round. If so, or just incase, leaving my options open, so I will likely go ahead make it so I can roll up the sides about 3 feet or so.

The far end will now only have two windows, rather than three.

anyhow, here are a few pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 greenhouse 1.jpg (524.4 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 2greenhouse 2.jpg (214.4 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 2 greenhouse 3.jpg (191.2 KB, 83 views)
Old March 5, 2016   #29
matereater
Tomatovillian™

lookin good !

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2016   #30
Uncle Doss
Tomatovillian™

Thank you. I'm hoping to be able to start pulling plastic over it this afternoon