Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 22, 2017   #226
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Three months have elapsed from sowing seeds of these early determinate tomatoes. Yesterday I gave the first seven seedlings into hotbed. Plants generally have more than ten-leaf and two to three inflorescences. I had counted that today I'll put another seven plants part of into the hot hotbed and some into the cold frame. But it's raining and I'm sitting at home with PC. Urbikany from UK certainly is not determinant, Maglia Rosa probably not (I got new seeds of Urbikany from Starlight, still this year's I test them). I do not know what happens with them in my low hotbeds.
Some information on how to the determinants look.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0092.jpg (460.6 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0093.jpg (496.5 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg Bez názvu.jpg (198.8 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg Graf teploty 2.jpg (77.9 KB, 304 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2017   #227
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

A few pictures from my garden. On the window, I had to fasten another bubble wrap to prevent overheating of space in a cold frame, when the sun shines.
Vlaimír
PS.:Sarayev Shtambovyi and Sarayev M-22 already have flowers. : D
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0094.jpg (521.1 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0095.jpg (498.8 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0096.jpg (506.0 KB, 266 views)
Old April 17, 2017   #228
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Yesterday I was in the garden and I corrected one window in a cold frame (I replaced the broken glass bubble wrap). I made a photo documentation of all planted plants. Tonight started cold week, while only 31 ° F.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0142.jpg (430.8 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0148TP.JPG (121.4 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0156TP.JPG (129.4 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0158TP.JPG (128.6 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0160TP.JPG (126.3 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0164TP2.JPG (117.4 KB, 228 views)
Old April 17, 2017   #229
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Hi Vladimir,

Thank you for posting the pictures - things look quite interesting. You had mentioned earlier that the hot bed was not really much different than the cold bed - is that still the case? I certainly hope you get through the cold week without any issues. We have had a very long cold winter as well - so far, just one day out working in the garden, trying to turn frozen soil in my beds.

I planted my tomato seeds last week, and I have pretty small list of early determinates this year: Jagodka, Krainiy Sever, Saraev 0-33, Saraev Druzhnya, Sasha's Altai & Sophie's Choice. My primary focus for the season remains the 5 varieties of Stupické Polní Rané, and the CZ hybrids. Charmant F1, Gallant F1, Start S F1, Toro F1 & Uragan F1. I planted a couple of extra Uragan after you noted that your germination had not been too good. I cut back on Fourth of July F1 this year, replacing them with Start S F1 since it is similar, but imho, a superior tomato.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2017   #230
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

This morning I went to the garden to check how is my tomatoes in greenhouses. Uncomfortable cold 1 ° C and the wind 40 km per hour. I measured temperature in the cold frame (6 ° C) and in the hothouse (8 ° C), the differential was only 2 ° C. However, the difference between tomatoes is quite noticeable (pictures). But this may not be the only air temperatures, but in the hothouse tomatoes fertilized with horse poop and rotting leaves, the soil is certainly warmer. But even so, in a cold frame tomatoes grow well and they will certainly mature much earlier than that in normal planting dates after May 15.
I measure a temperature by DataLogger only in a cold frame. Last week, the frame was permanently closed. The outside temperature is the graph of meteorological stations, 2 km from my garden.
I came home pretty frozen, now the wind speed dropped by some 5 km / h, but the snow falls.

Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0165.jpg (489.9 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0166.jpg (468.9 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0167.jpg (583.9 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg teplot.jpg (57.7 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpeg 11-19.jpeg (180.8 KB, 202 views)

Last edited by MrBig46; April 19, 2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old April 19, 2017   #231
bower
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir, we're all going to be cheering when you have ripe tomatoes in June!! Very nice to see all these varieties doing quite well in the circumstances. We're also having a very cold spring, not worth calling spring yet. My garden is still under packed snow, and may not see the ground before May.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017   #232
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir, I hope your tomatoes are staying cozy and warm in their earth sheltered cold frames. I am sorry for your snow! Our grass is just turning green, but we also may have a chance of snow this week. Bower, I am sorry you have such rotten weather, still having your winter snow pack still must be really discouraging, at least you have your greenhouse.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2017   #233
tponzi
Tomatovillian™

Great to see how well your plants are doing so early Vladimir! I noticed you tried S.Otbor1 last year but not this year. Any special reason?
tponzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2017   #234
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I grow these early determinante tomatoes in a cold and warm frame. I can not open the windows every morning and close the evening because it is far from home to the garden (more than half hour). Air humidity is very high when the windows are closed (picture). Environment suitable for the spread of diseases.

Here, in this thread, other determinant varieties were recommended to me. That's why I restricted Sarayev's variety for this year. Sarayev Stoikyi and Sarayev Gruntovyi were among them the most late. Sarayev Otbor 1 was first attacked by Bacterial speck (seed transmission ?) and this disease spread to other plants. That's why I´ll to grow Sarayev Otbor 1 until next year after seed therapy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg h 11-19.jpeg (207.2 KB, 161 views)
Old April 24, 2017   #235
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

The extraordinarily cold Friday night (pict.1) was devastating for tomatoes in the cold frame (pict.2). Temperature at 2 meters above ground -2 ° C, at the ground I assume about - 4 ° C. In cold frame 0 ° C (pict.3) and high relative humidity 95%. The main reason was that from three windows the glass in one window was replaced with only a foil (it broke with me). I once again verified that glass can not be replaced with some PE foil! Tomatoes in the warm frame survived the night in the cool (pict.4), only the leaves and flowers which were directly on the glass were burned by frost (pict.5).
Vladimír
PS.: Like last year, I will not have any apricots, peaches or nuts in the garden. Everything was frozen.
Attached Images
File Type: png 1.png (6.8 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (553.7 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpeg 3.jpeg (193.4 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (528.8 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (302.3 KB, 147 views)
Old April 24, 2017   #236
bower
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir, So sad to hear about your apricots peaches and nuts.
Very impressed with the tomatoes though, even the ones in the cold frame I see many have survived although damaged.
And the warm frame technique, you certainly have proven that it is superior for the plan of extra early tomatoes.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2017   #237
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Interestingly, the least damaged plants are in the place under the foil. . Those farthest from this place (under the glass) are completely frozen (on the right). I can not explain it.
Today I will look at all the damaged plants and discard each of them without flowers. I have enough pretty good determinant seedlings at home.
Interestingly, the least damaged plants are in the place under the foil. . Those farthest from this place (under the glass) are completely frozen (on the right). I can not explain it.
Another frost is reported on Saturday night.
Vladimír
Old April 25, 2017   #238
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

It may be due to atmospheric radiation. I have had plants freeze in the back of a truck with a topper shell, and the ones closest to the back window were hit the worst. A greenhouse can get 5-7 degrees F colder than the outside temperature on a cold, clear, windless night.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2017   #239
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
It may be due to atmospheric radiation. I have had plants freeze in the back of a truck with a topper shell, and the ones closest to the back window were hit the worst. A greenhouse can get 5-7 degrees F colder than the outside temperature on a cold, clear, windless night.
North of here there's a town called Cambria. It's where they filmed the move Arachnophobia.. We rolled up there one time and just past the high school, the one in the movie, there's a road that winds east thru the foothills. We found that house where the old Dr died.. Anyway, there was a recent cold snap at the time and it was bizarre to see some of the trees completely browned out dead while others right by them were fine!. Just a few feet in elevation made a huge difference!. It blew our minds! . Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2017   #240
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbotomateo View Post
North of here there's a town called Cambria. It's where they filmed the move Arachnophobia.. We rolled up there one time and just past the high school, the one in the movie, there's a road that winds east thru the foothills. We found that house where the old Dr died.. Anyway, there was a recent cold snap at the time and it was bizarre to see some of the trees completely browned out dead while others right by them were fine!. Just a few feet in elevation made a huge difference!. It blew our minds! . Jimbo
Forgot to mention they were avocado trees.. freak cold snap..
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote