Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old September 13, 2015   #16
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
^ You my friend are a carpenter, I build boxes. Beautiful work.
Thanks, Ricky! I looked at this thread yesterday and noticed the Dewalt table saw.. I thought you must be in the building trade to have such a nice tool.. I've used one of those for years as a jobsite saw, they are nice..
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2015   #17
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

I don't have many pieces, but most of them are DeWalt, the stuff lasts and you can get parts. That portable table saw is like 10 years old, I broke the plastic switch box last year, I find the part still current, $6 plus shipping.

I got it when I remodeled the downstairs, I only use it now a few times a year. It's just nice to know if you break a bed slat in the middle of the night, you can go rip another without having to wait for Home Depot to open.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2015   #18
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmanns View Post
I built this Cherry library for a client a few years ago. A lot of the wood came from a big tree that a storm took down here on the farm back in '95.
I'd kill for about 3 times that amount of book shelf space....and even then I'm not sure it would be enough. But those are gorgeous! Well done, Hellmans, you are definitely a skilled finish carpenter.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2015   #19
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zana View Post
I'd kill for about 3 times that amount of book shelf space....and even then I'm not sure it would be enough. But those are gorgeous! Well done, Hellmans, you are definitely a skilled finish carpenter.
Thanks Zana! Actually there is a door to the right, then 2 more cases past that.
Old September 14, 2015   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I built this Cherry library for a client a few years ago. A lot of the wood came from a big tree that a storm took down here on the farm back in '95.

Looks nice Hellmanns.
In another life I used to make this sort of stuff.
One house (mansion)I built raised panel doors for and ran molding at last count had almost 400 cabinet doors in it.
Hard maple, walnut and cherry.
The molder was a big ole Weinig.
Looked like this one.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2015   #21
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Originally Posted by Zana

Quote:
Thanks Zana! Actually there is a door to the right, then 2 more cases past that.
Hellmanns, With over 5,000 books, I definitely need a lot of shelf space...and its still growing. My dream is a 2 story library with a mezzanine level balcony....also accessible from the 2nd floor of the house.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Old September 14, 2015   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
^ You my friend are a carpenter, I build boxes. Beautiful work.
Ricky dont cut yourself short you do good work and I can see the attention to detail that is required to do it.
A person just needs to have the right equipment.
A cheap saw blade will make a good saw bad and the other way around.

I had to compromise with my saw and get one I could move around but not be too heavy.

This one has served me well.

This thing comes in handy too.
The table tilts in two directions.

Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2015   #23
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Looks nice Hellmanns.
In another life I used to make this sort of stuff.
One house (mansion)I built raised panel doors for and ran molding at last count had almost 400 cabinet doors in it.
Hard maple, walnut and cherry.
The molder was a big ole Weinig.
Looked like this one.

Worth
Thanks, Worth.. I could tell you were a craftsman..
Old September 15, 2015   #24
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hi dd,

My carpentry skills are limited, I can build a box or a frame. I have made a lot of rustic furniture type things through the years, cabinets, end tables, headboards.

I like to work with southern yellow pine with varnish or shellac finishes as opposed to the modern polyurethanes. The furniture ages to a honey yellow over time, I like that. These pieces are about 15 years old and down in the basement.
Great angles. Nice!
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2015   #25
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Gerardo. I enjoy making them, and the little ones are sturdy enough to stand on to change a bulb.
Old September 15, 2015   #26
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Ricky, Hellman's Worth, nice job on your carpentry skills! Beautiful work gentleman!!

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2015   #27
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hi dd,

My carpentry skills are limited, I can build a box or a frame. I have made a lot of rustic furniture type things through the years, cabinets, end tables, headboards.

I like to work with southern yellow pine with varnish or shellac finishes as opposed to the modern polyurethanes. The furniture ages to a honey yellow over time, I like that. These pieces are about 15 years old and down in the basement.
Okay, Ricky,

Just went back to look at your work and what should catch my eye, other than your fine craftsmanship? But your verrrrrrry ecclectic record collection: Black Sabbath's Paranoid, Yma Sumac's Voice of the Xtabay, Kay Starr and Rolling Stones' Let It Bleed!!!!

Cool!!!

~ Anonymous

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Old September 16, 2015   #28
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Ginny.

Zana, the Xtabay and Kay Starr are badly scratched 78's, mostly decoration. I do have a decent rock catalog on vinyl from the 60's thru 80's, because we're fortunate to have some excellent used record stores with expansive selections.

When I first got to Denver in the mid 70's, everyone had LP collections, and big ones. I was struck at the way everyone had plastic album covers, Disc Washers, and fanatical about the care of their records. It paid off because you can find tons of albums in great shape and most are in the $3-$8 range. I have several hundred in very good shape and don't think I've ever paid more than $20 on an album and most average under $6. There's a couple of turntables in the house and we listen to albums every day.
Old September 16, 2015   #29
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Ricky,
I'm chuckling about it only because I used to own copies of the Xtabay and Kay Starr too (unfortunately they were destroyed in a flood in my parents' basement while I was away at University)....along with about 300+ other albums. Grew up listening to my parents listen to both of them....and liked them myself...so found copies of albums. Also grew up with the Stones...think I still have a copy of the album with the zipper on the cover...lol...sorry haven't had any caffiene yet this morning, so don't remember the title)....and other varied selections. So just had to do a shout out to somebody who seemed as ecclectic.

~ Anonymous

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Old September 16, 2015   #30
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I felt nostalgic seeing the Xtabay album cover as well! I remember listening to that from my sister's records in the '60's! My sister and her husband still have all their old LP's and cassette tapes not to mention hundreds of CD's - probably 55 to 60 years worth of music all told. Kind of ironic, because they don't really listen to that much music as far as I know. But they have a huge house with unlimited storage space.

I still have all the original Janis Joplin LP's, a couple of the early Johnny Winter LP's and all the Koerner, Ray and Glover LP's and Bob Dylan til he went electric. I probably should sell them since I don't have anything to listen to them on anymore. I do have a couple of my big 'ol box speakers that I am using as plant stands! And I find that as I get older, I prefer the sound of silence to background music unless I am doing some hated activity like cleaning house!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote