Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 19, 2017   #16
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Terrific pictures, thanks to both for posting. All those big green tomato plants are a sight for sore eyes getting so tired of my remaining snow banks! I would have loved to wander the aisles for a few hours. Heirloomguy, are those cute kids in the last two pics yours?
Yes they are my twins. I am so Blessed!
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2017   #17

Default I was at Tomatomania

It was my first time at the Tapia Brothers location. Tomatomania is huge with almost 300 varieties of tomatoes. I feel lucky to have scored a Rutgers 250 since there was only around 2500 seeds released nationwide and they sold out immediately. Rutgers underestimated the interest. They will release more next year. I am excited to grow it and hopefully taste a true old fashioned Jersey tomato that is almost mythic to many people.

I also bought:

Kellogg's Breakfast
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Carbon
Black Trim
Japanese Black Truffle
Brown and Black Boar
Limmony
Pink Berkeley Tie Dye
Isis Candy
Blush
Sunrise Bumblebee
Orange Paruche - looks like Sungold but I think tastes even better (how that possible?)
Sunchocola - a large black cherry. Sweet, smokey, complex like a wine. Delicious.

I ordered from another source a few other tomatoes that Tomatomania doesn't have like

Sweet Baby Girl - red cherry that to me is the best tasting red cherry period.
Box Car Willie
Marianna's Peace
Green Grape
Honeydrop

That is my grow list for 2017. Hopefully will be able to plant in a couple weeks. Still too cool at night so I take the seedlings out in the day and in at night. Each morning I say "Good morning babies".

Old March 22, 2017   #18
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Looks like great fun! Carolyn, it was Hortus nursery in both Pasadena and Orange. Met you at the Orange store and was sad to see those nurseries go out of business.