Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old August 20, 2016   #31
l_madu
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazedwards View Post
Seems like everyone has chipped in. Only thing I can add is that I grew Tiny Tim last year. It would set a bunch of fruit and then look like all the leaves were drying. Then it would branch out new leaves from the main stem and fruit again and repeat. So those leaves with the dry edges might just be is natural course. If it's doing it with the other varieties then probably not though.
my tiny tims are my one casualty this year. i don't know what happened. i got a few tiiiiiiiiiiny flowers, that either never seemed to really bloom, or just dropped off...but unlike you, zero fruit...and then this weird creeping brown edge syndrome (starting from the outside of the leaf and slowly moving inward, and working from bottom of the plant to the top) eventually took over the whole plant until it was pretty much done. once the leaves were overcome, they just fell off. i honestly can't figure out what it was....

this is what they looked like towards their final stages...(it got progressively worse from here)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2282200047747926511-account_id=2.jpg (291.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 6295163433626809319-account_id=2.jpg (264.3 KB, 43 views)
l_madu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2016   #32
l_madu
Tomatovillian™

by the way folks, i purchased a home soil test kit by luster leaf, and tested the soil of 3 plants demonstrating the most stress (yellowing, discoloration and spotting of leaves, BER), and the results showed ph level of 5-5.5, adequate/sufficient P and K, but N was depleted! yikes!! this was consistent for all samples. i understand that too much nitrogen inhibits flowering/fruiting, but would you all recommend that i start applying a nitrogen rich fertilizer (i have alaska fish fertilizer 5-1-1) on a weekly basis or would that be inadvisable at this stage?
Old August 20, 2016   #33
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_madu View Post
by the way folks, i purchased a home soil test kit by luster leaf, and tested the soil of 3 plants demonstrating the most stress (yellowing, discoloration and spotting of leaves, BER), and the results showed ph level of 5-5.5, adequate/sufficient P and K, but N was depleted! yikes!! this was consistent for all samples. i understand that too much nitrogen inhibits flowering/fruiting, but would you all recommend that i start applying a nitrogen rich fertilizer (i have alaska fish fertilizer 5-1-1) on a weekly basis or would that be inadvisable at this stage?

Yes, go ahead and use your Alaska Fish Fert right away. It takes a lot of nitrogen to ruin your plants so you may wish to repeat the feed in 3-4 days.
Old August 21, 2016   #34
l_madu
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Yes, go ahead and use your Alaska Fish Fert right away. It takes a lot of nitrogen to ruin your plants so you may wish to repeat the feed in 3-4 days.
will do, thanks for the advice!