Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old May 13, 2016   #1
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Default Thick Asparagus

This is a side post from a thread in the 2 cents forum. I have a rental property, now vacant, that I had started a raised garden but it was not maintained and weeded over.

I planted Purple Passion (naturally thick) and one green asparagus type in this bed 5 years ago. About a month ago I weeded the heck out of the bed, dumped 8 bags of miracle grow, and planted strawberries.

I am so excited some made it. We've had droughts and floods these past 5 years. These very thick stalks appeared this week. There is actually a 4th one coming up. I have never seen anything this thick. Any opinions on what is going on? Too much fertilizer? Too buried? Will they ever produce an thin edible stalk?

- Lisa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg asparagus2.JPG (160.4 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg asparagus.JPG (138.3 KB, 114 views)
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2016   #2
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

From what I've experienced with my asparagus bed, fat stems mean good strong roots.

Also, I have split my bed between Purple Passion and Jersey King (which is green as yours is). The purple passion stems are alway significantly fatter than those from the green one.

Another difference: the Jersey Kings are all male so no pesky seeds/berries, and no weedy new sprouts invading all over the place. The Purple Passions always make tons of berries which reseed themselves as far as they can reach. One way to address this, which I will try for the first time this year, is to prune the fern tops before they turn red and sow their wild oats.

BTW, the advice I got is to never harvest the skinny stems, since they are from less hardy or mature roots. Just what I've been told.

I loves my asparagus!

Be glad your bed survived!

ETA, the thick stems are way more tasty than the skinny ones.. Yes, really!
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2016   #3
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I'm in my 4th year of asparagus harvesting of a bed I put in. I've got Jersey Supreme. I've got some very thick stalks and some stalks that are thinner-more closer to what I'd consider ideal. I like a medium thickness stalk--a more ideal char to stalk ratio (we grill or roast it at high temperature). The thick stalks aren't inedible--I just put them onto the grill or into the oven a few minutes before I put the rest on.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2016   #4
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I'm fairly certain I started a Jersey variety too. This is in a one acre pasture so I don't mind if a few purple seeds produced and few were missed when mowing!

I also started Mary Washington in a tray from a fifty cent pack of WM seed during the winter. Every darn seed germinated. On the fence about planting a few of these to check out the taste. The soil is decent enough to grow in ground too, but the grass is a bear to kill off and the area needs to be kept in bounds for mowing.

I've eaten thick stalks from a friends garden uncooked and they were very good - tasty and tender. No idea of the variety though. I do prefer the pencil type from the supermarket, roasted or steamed. Nothing in comparison to fresh for flavor. I loves it too!

- Lisa
Old May 13, 2016   #5
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

I grow Mary Washington as well as the Purple. Both are great. When they get thick it just means you have big healthy roots. Cut them before they get over 8 inches so that they are still tender and not starting to fern out. You pay a premium for the big ones at the market. We've been eating ours for a couple months now and so I'm letting them all fern out till next season. Asparagus are wonderful!
ChiliPeppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2016   #6
Uncle Doss
Tomatovillian™

why are the thicker stalks inedible?
Old May 14, 2016   #7
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

The thicker stalks will be just as tender as thinner stalks,sometimes more. Certainly not inedible!
I've had some this year as thick as my small thumb. This is only the first spring since I planted. I have the purple and some MW variety from Lowes. I planted with tons and tons of old leaves,bone meal,lime and then I've been dumping the stall cleanings on the edge of the bed all winter,letting woks work that manure goodness and shavings very slowly into the soil.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2016   #8
Nattybo!
Tomatovillian™

I flat out refuse to buy those scrawny pencil sticks they call asparagus at the stores. I think those are inedible. Some sort of advertising trick to make people think scrawny is better? Like fashion models? No way. Give me the fat and happy ones anyday! The stores can keep that scrawny junk!
Nattybo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2016   #9
kath
Tomatovillian™

I planted Purple Passion ~ 7 years ago- they always give very large stalks which are tender and amazingly sweet. Thinner stalks are sometimes better when buying asparagus in the store but in the garden, thick is good. When the stalks get thinner, I stop harvesting- usually after about 8 weeks of picking.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2016   #10
peppero
Tomatovillian™

I found that some of the tougher stalks can be eaten if you cut them into thin slices, say1/4".You can check them by eating one.. I usually eat them raw with good success but they will more than likely be more tender cooked than raw. Broccoli stalks can be salvaged by stripping the outer part with good results.

Jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2016   #11
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

I wish asparagus could grow in a large container. I agree that broccoli stalks are good. Grated raw in cole slaw, in salad, on a sandwich, and are also good simmered and buttered, the way I do cooked broccoli.
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2016   #12
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

My in-laws grew lots of acres of Asparagus for Stokley many years ago. Asparagus is SUPPOSED to be fat. We would get docked for any that was skinnier than a lead pencil.

Basically the fat stalks come up from the healthy roots. The skinny spears only come up as the roots peter out for the season. That tell you when to stop picking it for the year and let it grow out to replenish the roots.

People who think the skinny is proper most likely only picked roadside wild asparagus, where everyone picks, but no one cares or fertilizes it.

The Skinny gets tough and fibery shorter as it needs the fiber to hold itself up. The thick will be tender for a longer length.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2016   #13
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I thought thinner was better, at least more tender, so this is a revelation for me. Asparagus was on sale for $2.99 at Easter time. I'm sure its done picking around here for now. NO way am I eating that 3 foot spear. I'll have to pay attention next year. It is far too expensive if you can even find it in stores or markets now.

- Lisa