Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old July 29, 2014   #16
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Early Sunsation F1 is the yellow bell to grow if you have not yet tried it. I also have Orange Blaze F1, and I like the peppers, but they are much smaller than I want.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2014   #17
Hermitian
BANNED

Chris, I know you are looking for very thick wall peppers -- perhaps because your grill only goes one speed.

The other characteristic that I'm guessing you want is a pepper that does this all on its own, regardless of inputs. I don't have a solution for that.

What I can convey is that the Corno Yellow and Corno Red peppers I grow are every bit as thick-walled as the "standard" bells, including Socrates and Better Bell II. The cause is that I'm using ratios (by weight) of 1 part Nitrogen to 1.5 parts Potash equivalent (K2O). The guidance for maximum dosage is 1 lb Nitrogen per cubic yard of significant root volume (including soil) per growing season. For example, a well-cultivated tomato has 8 cubic feet, peppers more often achieve 4 cubic feet, and a 3+ year-old semi-dwarf fruit tree has 1 cubic yard. All this has been distilled from publications of Cal-Poly SLO and UC ANR. Of course in addition plants need the usual assortment of minors, micros, and biotics to prosper -- but getting the N to K ratio is important for fruiting plants.

Meeting these requirements in a soil that is otherwise void of ionic minerals is easy with a water-soluble. It is challenging with what most people would call "organic" methods, including USDA organic -- because the chemical dynamics in the soil are different. In particular, the organic methods have increased nitrogen deprivation and increased binding of metallic ions. This is why you see that my fruit fuel offerings are 4-4-7 for "organic" and 16-8-24 for water-soluble.

Last edited by Hermitian; July 30, 2014 at 07:38 AM.
Hermitian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2014   #18
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
...... I also have Orange Blaze F1, and I like the peppers, but they are much smaller than I want.

Cole Robbie, I wish they were bigger, too, BUT I find many customers don't want a huge pepper ( or fruit/veg.) anymore. Most of them are not family shoppers just single or two people households. Smaller isn't so bad. It is also the earliest orange pepper I could find.

I do appreciate seeing everyone else's positive comments on exceptional varieties. I did buy the early sunsation this year, but not one of them germinated. I'll try those and the socrates next year.

Last edited by clkeiper; July 30, 2014 at 07:50 AM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2014   #19
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, I'm pretty well versed in plant growth requirements.

I'll take a look at the Cornos again and will give the Sunsation a try. I've also grown Purple Beauty. Not impressive.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2014   #20
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Thanks, I'm pretty well versed in plant growth requirements.
There's growth requirements and then fruit and brix requirements. You could be right on top of it, but I put in the details because so many people in the horticulture field have missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
I'll take a look at the Cornos again and will give the Sunsation a try. I've also grown Purple Beauty. Not impressive.
Several years ago the Purple Beauty and others were introduced: my disappointment was that these hybrids were essentially green bell peppers with purple skins. I don't care for green bell peppers in the green stage, so this was a big disappointment.

Last edited by Hermitian; July 30, 2014 at 08:10 AM.
Hermitian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2014   #21
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
Several years ago the Purple Beauty and others were introduced: my disappointment was that these hybrids were essentially green bell peppers with purple skins. I don't care for green bell peppers in the green stage, so this was a big disappointment.
Agreed.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
Old August 23, 2014   #22
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

delete

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; August 23, 2014 at 03:08 AM. Reason: double post
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2014   #23
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I would be interested in seeing photos of a typical pepper of this variety. The seed sellers have impressive pics but they may be a bit exaggerated as to the typical size. I'm having a banner year with Marconi's, Corno, etc., but my neighbors are outdoing me with a fantastic crop of Cal Wonder. I need an oh wow bell for next year. In my neighborhood, peppers are to be picked while green <shaking head> for that strong green flavor

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2014   #24
Hermitian
BANNED

For standard "block" shaped bell peppers, the Better Bell II Hybrid has outperformed all the others I grew this year.

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/mobile/...ductinfo/9015/
Old August 23, 2014   #25
b54red
Tomatovillian™

So far this year Socrates, King Arthur and Declaration have outperformed. They have made the largest and also the most peppers of any of the varieties. One of my Slonovo plants has done outstanding but the other has not. The other bells have just done okay but I can always hope for better in the fall if they live that long in this heat wave and drought.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2014   #26
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Cole Robbie, I wish they were bigger, too, BUT I find many customers don't want a huge pepper ( or fruit/veg.) anymore. Most of them are not family shoppers just single or two people households. Smaller isn't so bad. It is also the earliest orange pepper I could find.

I do appreciate seeing everyone else's positive comments on exceptional varieties. I did buy the early sunsation this year, but not one of them germinated. I'll try those and the socrates next year.
I love mini-bells because I'm the only one who eats sweet peppers. I will probably get a mixture of mini-bells for next year. I like eating them fresh with homemade hummus. My husband doesn't like hummus much, or bell peppers.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2014   #27
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

My King Arthurs are HUGE. The largest block pepper that I have ever grown. I was hoping for an earlier red as mine are just now starting to turn, I just thought they would have turned by now, but it has been cold.
Orange Blaze is doing great and "tasty Orange Bell" is a nice orange bell that is earlier than any other I have found. It was colored up for todays market. all the other peppers (except orange blaze) are still green.
Old August 24, 2014   #28
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
My King Arthurs are HUGE. The largest block pepper that I have ever grown. I was hoping for an earlier red as mine are just now starting to turn, I just thought they would have turned by now, but it has been cold.
Orange Blaze is doing great and "tasty Orange Bell" is a nice orange bell that is earlier than any other I have found. It was colored up for todays market. all the other peppers (except orange blaze) are still green.
Socrates will produce just as large if not larger peppers and a bit earlier in my experience. I have grown both side by side many times and overall the Socrates usually outperforms King Arthur; but sometimes the KA gets really tall. Slonovo is even earlier and might do really well in your area but it isn't nearly as large and it is pointed instead of blocky. It does have fairly thick walls and really sweet flavor though.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2014   #29
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I'm still looking for an orange bell hybrid that is full-sized.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2014   #30
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Same here. Wonder what the hybrid is that comes in the Sunset 6 pack at Sam's club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I'm still looking for an orange bell hybrid that is full-sized.