Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old May 23, 2014   #16
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

NOT trying to sound negative, but the "attractive nuisance" part of most state's torts laws might become an issue in a neighborhood with children even if they are trespassing and ate one of those colorful and attractive little peppers. Trouble is, putting up a warning sign just means you knew they were an issue when you planted them.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014   #17
oldasrocks
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like a good plan for the little boogers. Spread the work you're raising candy canes.
oldasrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014   #18
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I have twin 4 year olds that are my little farmer buddies and they know that they do not touch the peppers. My son wont eat anything spicy but when i make reaper salsa my little girl eats it like a champ.
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014   #19
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Good Grief!!!! I had no idea!! Maybe I should have planted it earlier!! lol

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2014   #20
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Wow. I think I planted my ghost peppers too close together LOL
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2014   #21
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Nobody questioned your right to grow the hottest peppers you want to! Just thought it MIGHT be worthwhile in a country with the highest litigation rate anywhere to let some folks know one of the catch 22's of having such cute little things in their yard. Here, all of the lawns are surrounded by other peoples children and I know that from time to time things go missing...like an entire pear tree's fruit just when they ripened or tomatoes that were there before I went on vacations. I can just imagine, having seen the You tubes of adults after they tried to eat one of these, what it would be like if some little darling went screaming home with the residual on their hands and face, or in their eyes. Enjoy them to your hearts content! I was simply letting you know that it would be like owning a pit bull. a wonderful dog in the right circumstances, but not viewed quite the same in court in the off chance that a neighbor's child wanders too close. Even some kind of a wire fence around them if you live in such a development would help. Here we have lots of children I don't even know who walks through the back yard. I just wanted to raise a flag of awareness, but you a certainly free to do whatever you choose! Nuff said.
Old May 24, 2014   #22
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

It would be horrible if a kid got a hold of one of these suckers. I live in a city and have a 7-8 ft block wall around our yard so unless someone really wants to get in im pretty safe. My little guys wont even pick strawberries without me so they are good little disciplined farmers. Last year i grew red currant tomatoes in a pot in our front yard. We would always catch the neighborhood kids snacking on that plant.
Old May 24, 2014   #23
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

I kind of wondered about the legal implications of growing such weapons grade produce. do you rip the plants out and dump them 150miles away in the off chance someone were to think they could sample it? or is there a sign that implies that the person sampling said produce is solely responsible for their own fate?
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2014   #24
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

At the end of the season the spent plants go in the trash can. I use all the peppers for seed and for sauce. I also test the manhood of the morons i work with and believe me one guy in particular will try anything based on pride. He ate a whole trinidad moruga scorpion and threw up for 4 hrs straight. He still came back to work asking to try the carolina reaper. Some people will never learn.
Old May 24, 2014   #25
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
I kind of wondered about the legal implications of growing such weapons grade produce. do you rip the plants out and dump them 150miles away in the off chance someone were to think they could sample it? or is there a sign that implies that the person sampling said produce is solely responsible for their own fate?
A warning sign is seen as admitting guilt and foreknowledge and even trespassers can sue folks for damages. Truth be told, I don't know how you guys have the throats for such heat. A Thai pepper or bit of habanero in sauces is more than ample for me...and I love hot sauces, but then again, I had my stomach cut out, the bottom of my esophagus removed, and my stomach put back in in reverse to wrap around the remainder of the esophagus. Yep, just loved that hot, spicy food with a cold brew.
Old May 24, 2014   #26
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

I actually don't like ridiculously hot things myself. I can tolerate them, which i suspect might be some byproduct of ethnicity. But unlike some of my friends and my girl friends family really take It to another level. And I'm just happy to oblige their wants and enjoy the look on their faces.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2014   #27
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

I am using the ghost pepper to dry and turn into a pepper spray. Not really planning on eating any. I figure it will keep 4 legged pests away and if made right 2 legged ones as well
Old May 25, 2014   #28
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I made sauce out of pure condensed down reaper pepper and vinegar. When bottling the sauce i used a large medicine type syringe without a needle. I was getting impatient and forced the sauce into a bottle which in turn pressurized the contents. When i pulled off the syringe i got sprayed right in the eyes. Lets just say a gallon of milk, two quarts of creamer, and 2 hours of time was what it took for me to see blurry again without pain. And did i mention it gave me chemical burn on my freshly shavin neck. Moral of the story is hot peppers work perfect for pepper spray but when making hot sauce wear goggles. Lol.
Old May 25, 2014   #29
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

That is why I asked for a gas mask and long rubber gloves when work with the stuff! Now I think I will ask for a neck plate as well
Old May 31, 2014   #30
BarbJ
Tomatovillian™

And this is why good fences make good neighbors.
BarbJ is offline   Reply With Quote