Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old September 28, 2013   #1
Noreaster
Tomatovillian™

Default Anyone here dehydrate their hot peppers ?

Have a fair amount of hot peppers, and was thinking about dehydrating some.

Anyone else do that ? I do some tomato with an inexpensive machine I bought years ago, but thinking about "moving up" and getting a much better one.

Anyone have a dehydrator they might recommend ?
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2013   #2
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster View Post
Have a fair amount of hot peppers, and was thinking about dehydrating some.

Anyone else do that ? I do some tomato with an inexpensive machine I bought years ago, but thinking about "moving up" and getting a much better one.

Anyone have a dehydrator they might recommend ?
I do it all the time. After they are dry, you can either store them as slices or grind them up for chili powder. If you don't want them molten, remove the seeds. I swear that dried peppers get hotter after drying..I have no idea why.
Old September 28, 2013   #3
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

I dehydrate peppers every year using my gas oven. If you have the time, the pilot light alone will dry most peppers in about a week. For faster drying I set the oven for the minimum temperature it will hold, which in my case is about 140°F. At this temperature with the door ajar the peppers will completely dry in two or three days depending on the pepper. The nice thing about an oven is it holds much more veggies or herbs than most dehydrators. I have 40 pablano peppers in the oven right now, each cut in half lengthwise with the cut side up. When done I grind them to powder in a coffee grinder, or flake thinner walled types in a food processor.

TomNJ/VA
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2013   #4
joseph
Tomatovillian™

My brother dehydrates hot peppers every year. We ban him from doing the grinding in the house. He grinds them outside.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2013   #5
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Me, too. I have jars full of dried peppers. I use the Excalibur® Dehydrator which I like very much.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2013   #6
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I dry mine in a dehydrator or just hang them. If the small bird peppers I just set them on a tray above the fridge and let them dry. Then I grind them or flake them....all though I do have jars of chunks too.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2013   #7
kath
Tomatovillian™

I have a 9 tray Excalibur and love it! So far it's dried hot and sweet peppers, tomatoes, celery, beets, onions, white and sweet potatoes, garlic, beans, corn, carrots, spinach, cabbage, herbs, apples, blueberries, bananas and cantaloupe.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2013   #8
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

The last two years I dried Cayenne's for hot pepper flakes, and Italian long red peppers for Calabrian Paprika. This year I'm drying a few other hot pepper varieties that will be ground up. I use a five tray Excalibur and it works great.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2013   #9
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

My family gave me a Nesco dehydrator this summer and it works really well. Someone had recommended that one and my older brother also did some research before he bought it and said it had really good reviews. (It also does some fancy stuff like jerky and fruit rolls, but don't know that I'll use those features very often.)

It did great with both my thin skinned peppers, (red Thai) and the slightly thicker ones. (Cyklon) I dry mine whole for the thin skinned ones and halved and seeded for the thick ones. Then they are stored in plastic bags or an air tight jar. When needed, I'll pull a few out and grind or crush just enough for about a month. Heard somewhere that the flavor stays better that way than grinding it all at once.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2013   #10
Noreaster
Tomatovillian™

Wow....thanks, all for your responses.

The cheap dehydrator I've used for a few years (for tomatoes) is the one made by
Ronco. Not really happy with it due to inconsistency, stickiness, need to rotate, and about 24-hour requirement.

Not ready yet for the fully-equipped Excaliber (volume I'll do won't justify the $ ).
But can get the Nesco FD-80 at Walmart for $ 60.

Anyone use that particular Nesco for tomatoes, peppers, etc. ?
Old September 29, 2013   #11
peppero
Tomatovillian™

i like to dry peppers as well as freeze some. the thin skin types air dry easily as well as in a dehyraytor. i have also taken jalapenos, sliced in half and oven dried at about 175 till they are wrinkled and very dark. they will keep in a jar for a LONG TIME that way and they can be crumbled or pulverized and used as a coloring/flavoring ingredient in soups, stews or whatever your taste buds or imagination will allow. Try it, you might like it.

jon

Last edited by peppero; September 29, 2013 at 04:20 PM.
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2013   #12
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Noreaster, couldn't find the model number on mine, but it says it is the Nesco Dehydrator and jerky maker. Besides the regular drying trays, (four, I believe) it came with some extra trays for fruit rolls and a tube to press jerky into strips. You can set it to several different temperatures and it has a fan.

I haven't dried tomatoes yet, but it handled fig halves very well. And it dried my thicker skinned Cyklon peppers MUCH better than my oven did last year. (So much faster, too!) It seems like it would work well for your average home gardener.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2013   #13
Noreaster
Tomatovillian™

Thanks very much, Livinon.

Appreciate the report......so I'm gonna go with the Nesco FD-80 .
Old October 1, 2013   #14
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I dry several kinds but my favorite is the Hot Lemon Peppers! The flavor is good and the heat is high! I also grow cayenne peppers every year and dry and grind those. I have a coffee grinder that I use only for my dried hot peppers. Bless the unsuspecting soul who tries to drink coffee after grinding beans in this grinder!
pdxwindjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2013   #15
beatpoet
Tomatovillian™

I dehydrate all of the peppers that I don't use fresh or pickle. Got a nesco dehydrator this year and been getting my moneys worth out of it. Prior to that I'd just hang them on strings to dry. Got a batch in the dehydrator now, 3 kinds of peppers. Eventually they'll get turned into chili powder/flakes or used in stir fry or something else like that.