Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 10, 2011   #1
GaryStPaul
Tomatovillian™

Default "Wispy"

One occasionally runs across this term to describe a tomato plant that tends under quite normal conditions to droop or seems otherwise lacking in vigor. It was applied to Brad's Black Heart, of which I'm growing two this year. Despite knowing its reputation as a "wispy" grower, I get concerned every time I see it, especially alongside its lusty neighbor, Orange Minsk, and think I should check the moisture level, look for bugs or signs of disease, etc.

Assuming I should just let a wispy grower grow as it will and hope for a good harvest, can anyone shed light on what contributes to this kind of growth habit? Any other well-known wispies? Gary
GaryStPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2011   #2
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

I believe that applies to most hearts or the at least the ones that I have grown. I am growing the "Golden King of Siberia" and it sure applies to it!
Sue B
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2011   #3
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

It's all in the genes! I have Prue growing, as well as Bisignano #2, and I always have that "oh no....diseased" reaction when I see it each day - then realize it is just a genetic attribute of many indeterminate paste and heart shaped varieties!
Old July 10, 2011   #4
GaryStPaul
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, guys. I can rest easy now. I have such high hopes for BBH
Old July 10, 2011   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryStPaul View Post
Thanks, guys. I can rest easy now. I have such high hopes for BBH
Gary, just a couple of additional comments.

Wispy to me means narrow highly serrated leaves, and most of the time those wispy varieties also look droopy as well.

Year ago someone whose name I won't mention referred to the droopy look and said it was due to the wilty gene, which is a real tomato gene but is quite different in what it does.

The wilty gene determines how long it takes a wilted plant to recover once given water.

And I mention this b'c that info about the wilty gene begin associated with wispy droopy foliage is still out there depsite the fact that it's wrong info.
Old July 10, 2011   #6
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

One additional note to throw in here- there are varieties that are droopy and not wispy. I don't know if there is wispy and non-droopy however. In my garden now I have Sheboygan (wispy and droopy) and Amish Paste (not wispy, but droopy). I was really worried about the Amish Paste when I first grew it because although I had read about the wispy plants it was not one of them but looked droopy.
Old July 11, 2011   #7
GaryStPaul
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Carolyn and Mudman; appreciate the additional info.

One of my BBHs is at one end of a bank of four huge containers with Ludmilla's Red Plum on the other end. Sure enough, they're both wispy (and droopy) and despite my newfound knowledge bother me every time I look at them!

At least LRP has set some very nice fruit at 41 days.